[comp.sys.mac] LSC and the bugs from hell

brian@hpfclm.HP.COM (Brian Rauchfuss) (10/21/87)

    I am working on some programs in LSC, and I am getting frustrated
with the debugging facilities.  MacsBug is fine and handy, but it is
difficult to determine where in a procedure you are and hard to figure
out where on the stack variables are.

Is there a way of generating assembly language output from LSC so I can
see where I am?

Is TMON worth the money?

Brian Rauchfuss

erik@hpsadla.HP (Erik Kilk) (10/23/87)

TMON is worth the price.  I couldn't live without it.

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (10/23/87)

In article <10620014@hpfclm.HP.COM> brian@hpfclm.HP.COM (Brian Rauchfuss) writes:

>Is there a way of generating assembly language output from LSC so I can
>see where I am?

	This is something that's under consideration for a future release.

>Is TMON worth the money?

	I think it is; it's a pretty nice debugger. Only deficiency I see
is that it cannot disassemble the 68020 or 68881 opcodes.

>Brian Rauchfuss

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* Symantec, THINK Technologies Division.  (No snappy quote)         *

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (10/23/87)

In article <10620014@hpfclm.HP.COM>, brian@hpfclm.HP.COM (Brian Rauchfuss) writes:
> Is TMON worth the money?
> Brian Rauchfuss
   YES.

David Gelphman

P.S.   It sounds very much like LSC will be available fairly soon with some
symbolic debugging built in but currently TMON beats the *#$ out of Macsbug.

kim@analog.UUCP (Kim Helliwell) (10/27/87)

In article <10620014@hpfclm.HP.COM>, brian@hpfclm.HP.COM (Brian Rauchfuss) writes:

>     I am working on some programs in LSC, and I am getting frustrated
> with the debugging facilities.  MacsBug is fine and handy, but it is
> difficult to determine where in a procedure you are and hard to figure
> out where on the stack variables are.
>
> Is there a way of generating assembly language output from LSC so I can
> see where I am?
>
> Is TMON worth the money?

TMON is DEFINITELY worth the money!  You are in the dark ages if you are
still using MACSBUG (No personal slur intended, only sympathy!)  Until
THINK gets a REAL symbolic debugger together, TMON is the best thing going,
in my opinion.

Kim Helliwell

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (10/30/87)

Here is an opinion you don't see everyday: I think Macsbug is better than
TMON.

Scott Knaster's "How to Write Macintosh Software" raves about TMON.  A
few months ago I took an afternoon out and sat down, read the TMON
manual from cover to cover, and tried to actually use it. I found it
clumsy to use, I couldn't make it do what I wanted, and the user
interface was so complicated and so lacking in self-consistancy that I
had to spend an immense amount of time just fighting TMON to do simple things.

In addition, I'd already built a large personal set of debugging tools
on top of DebugStr(), and the TMON documentation lead me to believe
that TMON couldn't handle the DebugStr() tooltrap.

Conclusion:
Please show me the error of my ways. Mail me a description of how
TMON makes you more productive. I'll consolidate and repost to the net.

--- David Phillip Oster            --A Sun 3/60 makes a poor Macintosh II.
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --A Macintosh II makes a poor Sun 3/60.
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax,ihnp4}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) (11/01/87)

Any of you have any opinions on Jasik's The Debugger?  How does it compare to TMON, esp. when used with LightspeedC?

Raymond Lau                      {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!raylau
New York, NY, USA                               {sun}!hoptoad/
GEnie:RayLau   Delphi:RaymondLau   CIS:76174,2617
"Take it and StuffIt."

stew@endor.UUCP (11/02/87)

In article <1862@dasys1.UUCP> raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) writes:

>Any of you have any opinions on Jasik's The Debugger?
>How does it compare to TMON, esp. when used with LightspeedC?

I have Jasik's Debugger, but I don't use it.  I know people who use
it all the time and love it, but it is way too fragile for me.  Perhaps
this is because I have a Hypercharger- and BigPicture-equipped SE, or
perhaps I'm just trying to do things they aren't.

The documentation is woefully inadequate.

It doesn't have trap discipline, the single most important and useful
feature of of TMON, in my opinion (the menu item is there, but says
"Not yet").

At present, I am using TMON and hoping that Jasik can finish his
product so I can use it.

Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC