[comp.sys.mac] Mac+ Memory prob. w/LSC

joe@cbdkc1.UUCP (10/30/87)

I have been using LightSpeed C, with the shareware RamStart and after a
couple of months now, it decided to staop working!!

What I have been doing:

-	Boot up a boot floppy that starts up RamStart to make a
	RamDisk of 400K. This has MacsBug and the System file has
	only 4 DAs (Chooser, ControlPanel, IconMaker, BasetoBase).
	Cache is set on  to 256K.

-	Once up, I put in my LSC disk (has LSC, Mac includes, Mac
	libraries, a project folder: ~166K space left on it).

-	Start up one of my projects, that I compiled into an
	application just 4 days ago and now LSC blows up at the
	first or second line with "Out of Memory". Nothing changed
	in the source, The control panel looks the same as 4 days
	ago.

-	I added DiskInfo DA to the System File and checked how much
	memory was free (in LSC project, with 400K RamDisk, cache on
	to 256K, etc) and it answered  48K.

Now I don't know how much was free 4 days ago, but what ever amount
it was, it was enough to compile this small application!

I ran a memory check (simple walking pattern through high and low memory
and it all tested fine (it said it tested 1 Meg's worth.

What to do now????????	Think, what do you say? Hey, by the way, I didn't
see a mention of OutOfMemory in your manual(compiler error message section)
Is it there somewhere?

PS I hope you'all have some good answer (like parameter Ram reset
or something - I'll check that tonight) because I'm REALLY tight
on ca$h - buying a house - come over sometime when I get it!)

			Joseph Judge
			cbdkc1!joe
			AT&T Bell Labs

For those of you not from around here:
Universe!MilkyWay!SolarSystem!Earth!USA!Ohio!Columbus!AT&TBellLabs!cbdkc1!joe
			^^      ^^  ^^	 ^^   ^^			   ^^
			||	||  ||	 ||   ||
			|| 	||  Ask Directions.
			||	3rd Planet (all green and blue)
		way out on the edge, you can't miss it.

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (11/02/87)

In article <2503@cbdkc1.ATT.COM> joe@cbdkc1.UUCP (Joseph T. Judge) writes:

>I have been using LightSpeed C, with the shareware RamStart and after a
>couple of months now, it decided to staop working!!

	From what you described, you're running out of memory, pure
and simple. For one thing, it's not necessary to have a cache *and* a
RAM disk; get rid of one or the other; you could conceivably put all
of your include files on the RAM disk.

	The other thing is to check the setting of the "More Memory" switch
in the "Options..." dialog box (under the Edit menu). Be sure that it's
set.

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* Symantec, THINK Technologies Division.  (No snappy quote)         *