[comp.sys.mac] Riddle

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (10/31/87)

I found this on a local BB.  Apple you are going to make a REAL BIG MISTAKE
in this case if you don't court these folks carefully. You are interested in
the desktop CAD market if I read the newspapers right.

THE RIDDLE

-The following is a LimeLight (Lincoln Informed Macintosh Enthusiasts'
newsletter) exclusive folks. You won't see it on HBO or Cinemax, so pay
attention because it won't be repeated and it will not be available through
normal retail outlets. The only other way you will see this story repeated
is when somebody with brains and gonads puts it on AppleLink and/or
CompuServe. Are we all sitting up straight in our chairs, boys and girls?
Today's lesson is "WHAT MUST BE SWALLOWED* TO BE NUMBER ONE".

-I was recently traveling on business in the southwestern United States
and found myself trying to convince some business associates why
Macintosh II is a perfect tool for their architectural design work. The
problem I ran up against is that while Macintosh II may be the finest
cannon ever cast, the folks at Apple have not done all that they could to
encourage and cooperate with the very finest among the munitions
creators, namely top flight program designers & writers. CAD/CAM
software for the Mac II is just NOT head and shoulders above similar
software for IBM computers; which is a crying shame in view of the fact
that Mac II is such a clearly superior machine in its POTENTIAL and
character. While talking to local Apple dealers and reps in the area during
my trip concerning the availability of demo software for the handful of
CAD/CAM programs that are presently for sale for use with the MacJII, a
name came up that aroused my curiosity. My associates have been using
AutoCAD (one of the more popular CAD/CAM programs for IBM's) for
several years but are now frustrated by the slowness. It was their initial
opinion that using the latest version on a brand new IBM would rid them of
most of their frustration. This blind confidence in AutoCAD & IBM led me
to investigate further once I heard that the guy who WROTE AutoCAD was
working on a CAD/CAM application for Mac II, and that he was living and
working in the very city where I found myself located! I called him at his
business phone and was very politely and efficiently transferred to him by
a very nice and extraordinarily intelligent girl named Elena Bullard, who
mans (womans?) the offices of Evolution Computing in Tempe, Arizona. If
I.Q.'s were Fahrenheit temperatures you would surely have to strip naked
to bear the heat upon entering the realms of this desert brain trust.

-Mike Riddle is without any doubt in my mind one of the most brilliant
people with which I have ever had the pleasure to speak. We spoke for 45
minutes, after which I was totally intellectually exhausted. This guy has
been programming since the time I left grade school; I am now 32 years
old. He programs in PURE Assembly language which we all know produces
the fastest and most profoundly elegant programs around (e.g: Andy
Hertzfeld's masterpieces of programming). "How fast?" you may well ask.
Well, go ahead and ask. OK I'll give you an example: A world map occupying
768K in AutoCAD format takes over a minute to redraw itself. The same
world map in FastCAD format takes up only 262K of space and redraws in 2
seconds. To redraw a doubled map of approximately 1.5Meg in AutoCAD
takes enough time to allow you to clean your mouse, install that internal
fan you've been thinking about, catalog you're entire disc collection,
answer all your junk mail and heat up a quick snack in the microwave. A
quadrupled world map of approximately 1.1Meg with FastCAD takes 8
seconds to redraw. Large complex files in AutoCAD take forever to redraw;
just ask anyone who uses it, especially with older hardware. Mike Riddle
wrote the original core package of AutoCAD for which the company
AutoDESK paid him. He used the money to start Evolution Computing and
promptly wrote the program FastCAD (for IBM's). FastCAD is the fastest
CAD/CAM program available for IBM users, period. It has task-specific &
dynamic menus (my terms) and of course supports color and is THE most
impressive program I have ever seen running on a machine I consider to be
inferior to Mac II: the IBM, et al; but this is only where the story starts to
get interesting.

-After founding Evolution Computing Mike Riddle originally set out to
write FastCAD for the Mac. He and his company had invested $150,000.00
U.S. Dollars in blood, sweat, tears & discs creating a major part of the
final Mac program, when along comes our favorite computer company (and I
say that with total sincerity) with an article in the information source for
developers named "Outside Apple", the October 1986 issue, on page one
entitled "Who Can Use the Macintosh Interface?". On page 2 near the middle
of the article it reads: "But can't you incorporate that particular
ease-of-use (speaking of the interface, [parenthetical comment mine]) on
products for other machines? Not unless Apple gives you permission,
according to the copywrite laws." It goes on later to say: "Apple owns all
rights to the interface as designed, as well as the rights to all derivatives
of the interface." Still further on comes the crux of the issue: "Developers
who are considering modifying the interface should follow this rule of
thumb: In general, you don't want the users to do something they're
familiar with and have it produce an unexpected effect. But you can have
the users learn to do something new. When you do this, however, remember
that the 'something new' is usually a derivative of Apple's interface and,
by copywrite law, also belongs to Apple"; and finally the coup de grace
(except, as you will soon see, they shot themselves in the foot with this
one): "When you want to port a product to a non-Apple system, you should
first discuss it with Apple. Apple will review the proposed interface and
suggest ways it should be changed to avoid violating Apple's copywrite".
The moment Mike read this article he called Apple's legal eagles and asked
for a written declaration of exactly what all this meant. They told him not
to worry about it, but NEVER gave him anything in writing, even after
months of repeated phone calls to every level of authority at Apple that
would pick up a phone. He subsequently froze the Mac project at near
completion and went on to write FastCAD instead for the IBMers.

-This guy really wants to write the best damn CAD/CAM program ever and
he wants to do it for the Mac. "We have 17 Macs that we use at the
business and only a handful of IBM's. All I want from Apple is a letter
stating a clear definition of what is proprietary in their system
(call-wise, code-wise, or idea-wise);  a statement declaring that what is
created by Apple belongs to Apple and that what is created by a
programmer belongs to the programmer. Three months to the day after I
receive that letter FastCAD for the Mac II will be defrosted and ready for
sale." I for one (a Macintosh devotee, proselytizer and ardent business user
for over three years) am keenly anxious to see this man's creative genius
unleashed for the benefit of the Mac community and for Apple. I think he
asks very little.

-One last perspective: Mike "hates" working with Intel chips (the CPU's
used in IBM's). My guess is that he "hates" them in much the same way
Michael Angelo probably grew to "hate" scaffolding; both being a necessary
pain in the neck for the production of their respective works. For those of
you that think you know better, please tell me: Who is better qualified to
evaluate the innate qualities of a thing like an Indy 500 race car; the
maker of the car, or the veteran professional driver that directly interacts
with the thing, creatively extracting technical and artful performance
from it? Nobody gets more intimate with a CPU than an assembly language
programmer. It is also Mike's opinion that the Motorola Math Chip (68881)
is far better than its counterpart in the opposing camp.

-Evolution Computing may be contacted by mail at 437 South 48th Street,
Suite 106, Tempe, Arizona 85281

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

gardner@prls.UUCP (Robert Gardner) (11/02/87)

In article <5094@utah-cs.UUCP> t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) writes:
>Still further on comes the crux of the issue: "Developers
>who are considering modifying the interface should follow this rule of
>thumb: In general, you don't want the users to do something they're
>familiar with and have it produce an unexpected effect. But you can have
>the users learn to do something new. When you do this, however, remember
>that the 'something new' is usually a derivative of Apple's interface and,
>by copywrite law, also belongs to Apple"; and finally the coup de grace
>(except, as you will soon see, they shot themselves in the foot with this
>one): "When you want to port a product to a non-Apple system, you should
>first discuss it with Apple. Apple will review the proposed interface and
>suggest ways it should be changed to avoid violating Apple's copywrite".

I also find this intolerably ridiculous. I would be very interested to
hear from those with legal experience. Can Apple get away with this?
Many companies seem to be ignoring this (Aldus, MicroSoft, for instance).
It seems ridiculous that Apple can claim credit for the creative work
of the developers.

This posting is in the hopes that there is strength in numbers. What
Apple needs to realize is that this attitude will stop developers from
using the Mac for their original programming with the intent of later
porting. Instead, they will develop for the PC first, then port to the Mac
(if at all). Apple certainly can't claim to be the "technology leader"
under these circumstances. I'm sure Apple is concerned about keeping hold
of their user interface work and doesn't want to see the MS-DOS world
benefiting from work that Apple did, so it's a sticky issue. Still, the
"derivative" statement sure seems bogus. Apple seems to be taking credit
for everything anyone does on the Mac.

Robert Gardner