[comp.sys.mac] Will Red Ryder Work With A Mac II?

martyl@bucket.UUCP (Marty Lee) (11/01/87)

With all the talk on the net about Red Ryder 10.X available on GEnie,
I'm wondering if the 10.X version will work with the Mac II.
I'm having trouble with 9.4 as it causes the system to bomb after a
Kermit or Xmodem transfer.  If 10.X works, I'd be more than willing to
pay the going market rate for it.  Red Ryder is one of the best comm
programs I've seen for the MAC.

The net postings don't always get here so, please send me email.

This one of the first times I've posted to the net....so if I've violated
some rule......I'm sorry :-).

tektronix!reed!omen!bucket!martyl  (Marty Lee)

--
tektronix!reed!omen!bucket!martyl  (Fae: 12msun

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (11/02/87)

In article <571@bucket.UUCP> martyl@bucket.UUCP (Marty Lee) types:
>With all the talk on the net about Red Ryder 10.X available on GEnie,
>I'm wondering if the 10.X version will work with the Mac II.

It's supposed to, but I haven't verified this. It does work well on a
friend's HyperCharged SE (68020), so if there were any incompatibilities they
wouldn't be related to that.

>I'm having trouble with 9.4 as it causes the system to bomb after a
>Kermit or Xmodem transfer.

This problem is easily solved - it is related to the 68020 instruction cache.
If you have any of the FKEYs or cdevs (control panel files) to disable the
instruction cache, do so and Red Ryder should work.

>tektronix!reed!omen!bucket!martyl  (Marty Lee)

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.
hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen

jerry@uwm-cs.UUCP (Jerry Lieberthal) (11/03/87)

In article <3349@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) writes:
> In article <571@bucket.UUCP> martyl@bucket.UUCP (Marty Lee) types:
> >I'm wondering if the 10.X version will work with the Mac II.
>
> This problem is easily solved - it is related to the 68020 instruction cache.
>
> Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.
> hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen

Version 9.4 does work on the II, but watch out for the instruction cache
problem noted above, since under Kermit transfer protocol (and probably others)
it has destroyed my system to the point where I had to destroy the parameter
ram in order to get back to my bootable system ...

jerry@csd4.milw.wisc.edu   ihnp4!uwmcsd4!jerry