[comp.sys.mac] Wanted: Sound Resources for Mac II

fiatlux@ucscc.UCSC.EDU.ucsc.edu (David Vangerov) (10/22/87)

At work we have a Mac II (wonderfull machine, I want one of my
own) and I'd like to get some more sound resources for it to
put in the system. I got several of them off of
sumex-aim.stanford.edu via anonymous FTP, but when I put them
into the system, some of them play at the wrong speed (about 2
times too fast). Does anybody know of a way to slow down these
sounds so that they play correctly?

I also have a bunch of SoundCap files (type ASND) that I would
like to be able to convert to snd type to put in the system. Is
it possible to do this? I have Super Play 4.0, but all it does is
play them, nothing about converting them to snd type sounds.

Is there a utility like Font/DA mover (only it would be Sound
Mover) for the Mac II to put new snd resources in the system
folder? Something that would take SoundCap files as well as snd
type sounds?

If you have some interesting sounds (or even if you don't) I'd be
interested in getting a copy of them and would be willing to
trade what we have for them...

Any help on this would be most appreciated...

|		     	        David Vangerov				     |
|    Just your average Theater Arts major with a weird thing for computers   |
| fiatlux@ucscc.BITNET || fiatlux@ucscc.ucsc.EDU || ...!ucbvax!ucscc!fiatlux |

dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) (10/22/87)

Let's see... I'll answer your questions out of order, if I may...

> I also have a bunch of SoundCap files (type ASND) that I would
> like to be able to convert to snd type to put in the system. Is
> it possible to do this? I have Super Play 4.0, but all it does is
> play them, nothing about converting them to snd type sounds.

Yes, it's possible.  I posted a copy of the "Sound->snd" converter to
Info-Mac last week;  you should be able to find it in the archive now,
or within a couple of days (whenever the next digest comes out).  This
application eats a SoundCap file, and produces a resource file
containing a single "snd " resource suitable for use on the Mac II
(and nowhere else, I gather).

>                                           but when I put them
> into the system, some of them play at the wrong speed (about 2
> times too fast). Does anybody know of a way to slow down these
> sounds so that they play correctly?

Sigh.  It seems that the author of the Sound->snd converter didn't
take into account the fact that Soundcap files can contain data which
was digitized at any of several different sampling rates [at least, I
assume that's what's occurring].  Sound->snd appears to convert the
data to resource form on the assumption that the data was digitized at
the highest (?) sampling rate;  if it was digitized at a lower rate,
then it plays back too fast ("pop... ooh!" rather than "BOOM....
OOOOoooohhhh!").  As far as I can see, there's no easy way to stretch
the sounds back out to their normal pitches... it wouldn't be too hard
to interpolate between the existing samples (and thus approximate the
correct waveform), but I don't have any code with which to do it.  I
don't even have the resource format handy (too cheap to buy the APDA
version of IM V).

> Is there a utility like Font/DA mover (only it would be Sound
> Mover) for the Mac II to put new snd resources in the system
> folder? Something that would take SoundCap files as well as snd
> type sounds?

I haven't seen one.  Sound->snd, plus ResEdit, is the only combination
I've succeeded in using.

> If you have some interesting sounds (or even if you don't) I'd be
> interested in getting a copy of them and would be willing to
> trade what we have for them...

Well, I've got about 500k of Soundcap files, including all of the ones
that I converted into resource format and posted to Info-Mac last
week.  John Cleese ("Aah, I see you've got the machine that goes
BING!"), the Roadrunner, numerous musical chords and chimes, David
Letterman's glass window, and a bunch of others.  I'd gladly trade a
copy of these for a version of Sound->snd that would correctly convert
Soundcap files regardless of their original sampling rate... somehow,
the question "Are you out of your Vulcan mind??" doesn't sound right
when squeaked out by a hyperthyroid mouse in less than 2 seconds!

hallett@hamlet.steinmetz (Jeff R Hallett) (10/23/87)

In article <18181@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) writes:

>Well, I've got about 500k of Soundcap files, including all of the ones
>that I converted into resource format and posted to Info-Mac last
>week.  John Cleese ("Aah, I see you've got the machine that goes
>BING!"), the Roadrunner, numerous musical chords and chimes, David
>Letterman's glass window, and a bunch of others.  I'd gladly trade a
>copy of these for a version of Sound->snd that would correctly convert
>Soundcap files regardless of their original sampling rate... somehow,
>the question "Are you out of your Vulcan mind??" doesn't sound right
>when squeaked out by a hyperthyroid mouse in less than 2 seconds!

Is there any possibility that these could be sent to
comp.sys.binaries.whatevertheheckitis for us poor slobs that don't
have a digitizer?  (I'm especially interesting in the "are you out of
your vulcan mind?" one).

Thanx

Jeffrey A. Hallett               (hallett@ge-crd.arpa   hallett@desdemona.uucp)
Software Technology Program
General Electric Corporate Research and Development

"The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"

                                 -- Kirk  (STIII)
Disclaimer: I  do not guarantee the validity  of the content, meaning,
or nature of anything in  this  message as my  own  sanity may  be  in
doubt.   My employer doesn't  either and   probably  won't admit  they
employ me if called.

dmw3@ur-tut.UUCP (David Walsh) (10/24/87)

   We have a little gadget that pops up in the new control panel called
"Cheap Beep" that allows you to load up a number of those sound files, and
get this it allows you to select the playback speed 1, 2, 3, 4.  This might
be just what you are looking for.  Although I should think that just doubling
or tripling all of the bytes in the code should slow it down, maybe it would
need some interpolating, but a simple program that reads each byte off the
disk and writes back the appropriate ones to the disk.  I'd try it but I
already have enough work to dry my crazy here.  Hardly have time to read
comp.sys.mac -:) -:)

   Good luck, and happy hacking,

       Dave Walsh, yet another Mac-fan/hacker

DISCLAIMER: No sane individual would ever agree to my ravings, therefore my
employers cannot be held responsible for my actions (or can they???)

dhac@ur-tut.UUCP (Darren Jay Hacker) (10/24/87)

[a sacrifice to appease those line-eatings gods of the net...]

YES!!!  I want sound files too!  Could someone please e-mail me your
SoundCap, snd (esp. HyperCard snd) and CheapBeep sounds?  Maybe I could post
a composite listing for all those interested and e-mail them back out when
we get a nice library, or maybe you all could tell me what files have been
uploaded to INFO-MAC at sumex-aim.  Anyway, some kind soul sent me some stuff
a while back, but I want MORE!!!  Down with the insignificant, generic
system beep :-) and up with beeps with some LIFE in them!  But seriously,
folks, I do find some of these new beeps (2001's "I'm sorry, Dave" or ALIEN's
"Game over, man!") much more effective at calling my attention when an alert
comes up or when I screw something up.  What do you say?  No flames, please;
please post them to net.flames.  By the way, whatever happened to those
function key remappers for my extended keyboard?

DJ Hacker

Darren Jay Hacker	  Internet: dhac@tut.cc.rochester.edu
"The fault, dear Brutus,      UUCP: dhac@ur-tut.UUCP		    \ / ,|.
 is not in our stars,	       (or) ...{ames,cmcl2,decvax,rutgers}   X ( | )
 but in our software		       !rochester!ur-tut!dhac	    / \ `|'

dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) (10/26/87)

In article <7679@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> hallett@hamlet.UUCP (Jeff R Hallett) writes:

>Is there any possibility that these could be sent to
>comp.sys.binaries.whatevertheheckitis for us poor slobs that don't
>have a digitizer?  (I'm especially interesting in the "are you out of
>your vulcan mind?" one).
>
>Thanx
>
>Jeffrey A. Hallett              (hallett@ge-crd.arpa   hallett@desdemona.uucp)

I'm reluctant to try posting these for three reasons.  One: they'd
chew up a large amount of the comp.binaries.mac bandwidth [e.g. all of
it for over a week, at the current rate-of-posting] for what is really
a rather frivolous purpose.  Two, my previous postings to
comp.binaries.mac have apparently dropped into a black hole with no
residue; my path to the moderator may be fractured somewhere.  Three,
they are available through other sources.

There are _lots_ of digitized-sound files available on Compu$erve,
GEnie, and Delphi (or so I've read).  Also, they are available for a
modest fee by mail.  According to an article in this month's Computer
Shopper, there is a set of 4 disks (12 sounds each) available from:

	Acme Dot Company
	P.O. Box 5923
	Titusville, Florida  32783

The disks are $10 each when ordered singly, or $29 for the set of all
four.  If you have only a single-sided drive, you can order the sounds
on 400k disks, but it'll cost you an additional $7.50 per 12-sound
set.  Sounds on these disks are mostly of the 22 kHz variety
(compatible with the Sound->snd converter and the Mac II);  some are
sampled at 11 kHz and will need some head-banging to be usable on the
Mac II.  Topics include the Road Runner, Pee Wee Herman, lots of Star
Trek, the Three Stooges, some Star Wars, Max Headroom, a bit of Frank
Zappa, quite a bit of Monty Python, and lots of other little tidbits.

Disclaimer: I haven't bought these disks nor dealt with the Acme Dot
Company, so order at your own risk.

taylorj@byuvax.UUCP (10/27/87)

Dave Platt (dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA) asked for a soundacp to snd resource
converter that could handle different sampling rates.  There is a HyperCard
stack called SoundCap Mover (it's been posted to info-mac) that does just
what you want (I haven't actually tried it--just looked at it).

Jim Taylor,  Microcomputer Support for Curriculum, Brigham Young University
TAYLORJ@BYUVAX.bitnet

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (10/29/87)

>> Is there a utility like Font/DA mover (only it would be Sound
>> Mover) for the Mac II to put new snd resources in the system
>> folder? Something that would take SoundCap files as well as snd
>> type sounds?

Yes, and it's called SoundCap Mover, made by Tekton Software here in Milwaukee.
It's free/P.D., I believe. I have version 0.9, but there may be a later one.
Basically, it gives you a Font/DA Mover-type interface, and lets you open up
ANY file (eg. HyperCard, System). I assume that it handles snd type 1 and type
2 resources, but I haven't verified this.

>> If you have some interesting sounds (or even if you don't) I'd be
>> interested in getting a copy of them and would be willing to
>> trade what we have for them...

Again, a request NOT to post these sound files to the net to avoid bandwith
problems. I have several megabytes of SoundCap files which I collected for
the Madison Macintosh Users Group - if people are really interested in
obtaining them, mail me and I can give them information on how to get them
for less than most of the other "public domain exchange" groups.

I have no affiliation with Mad Mac anymore, and I'm not going to profit from
this. I suggest this simply as a solution to sending megabytes of sound
files, either as postings or mail, over Usenet.

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.
hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen

netoprdc@ncsuvm.bitnet.UUCP (10/29/87)

Dave Platt,
if you read this, can you resend part10?  for some reason it was the only file
that went thru the psuvax mailer.  all the rest went thru wisc.vm and made it
ok.  part10 got chopped.
i sent you mail, but it's still floating around.  i hope you get it.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 :: Daniel Carr :::::::::::::
  ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
  // netoprdc@ncsuvm.BITNET //
 // d.c.carr //// GEnie /////
////////////////////////////

hallett@othello.steinmetz (Jeff R Hallett) (10/29/87)

In article <310@ur-tut.UUCP> dmw3@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP (David Walsh) writes:

>   We have a little gadget that pops up in the new control panel called
>"Cheap Beep" that allows you to load up a number of those sound files, and
>get this it allows you to select the playback speed 1, 2, 3, 4.  This might
>be just what you are looking for.  Although I should think that just doubling
>or tripling all of the bytes in the code should slow it down, maybe it would
>need some interpolating, but a simple program that reads each byte off the
>disk and writes back the appropriate ones to the disk.  I'd try it but I
>already have enough work to dry my crazy here.  Hardly have time to read
>comp.sys.mac -:) -:)
>
>   Good luck, and happy hacking,
>
>       Dave Walsh, yet another Mac-fan/hacker
>
>DISCLAIMER: No sane individual would ever agree to my ravings, therefore my
>employers cannot be held responsible for my actions (or can they???)

So, did you post it or what?  It does sound really great, because we
have some of these files that are mis-sampled and really want to use
them.  If you didn't post it, could you please mail it to me (provided
you find the time)?

Thanks!

Jeffrey A. Hallett               (hallett@ge-crd.arpa   hallett@desdemona.uucp)
Software Technology Program
General Electric Corporate Research and Development

"The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"

                                 -- Kirk  (STIII)
Disclaimer: I  do not guarantee the validity  of the content, meaning,
or nature of anything in  this  message as my  own  sanity may  be  in
doubt.   My employer doesn't  either and   probably  won't admit  they
employ me if called.

steele@unc.cs.unc.edu (Oliver Steele) (10/29/87)

Please be aware that there are two different kinds of 'snd ' resources for
the Mac.  Type 1 is used for the beeps you select from the Sound cdev, and
the program "Sound->Snd", posted recently, converts from SoundCap data
files to 'snd ' 1 resources.  Type 2 is used for the instruments you play
from HyperCard, and the stack "SoundCapMover" converts from SoundCap data
files to 'snd ' 2 resources.  Right now there is no way to use a type 2
resource as a system beep, or a type 1 resource as a HyperCard
instrument.  Both of these 'snd ' formats are distinct from the 'ASND'
resource that some programs use and that SuperPlay, for instance, can
create.

A recent posting also said that there was a command to convert a SoundCap
file to a 'snd ' resource built into HyperCard.  The poster must have
seen the "SoundCapMover" stack, looked at the script, and not been able
to find the "SoundCapToRes" command.  Such commands can be built into the
stack as resources, and they won't show up with anything except ResEdit.
That's the case with the "SoundCapToRes" command, so don't expect to be
able to use it without the "SoundCapMover" stack, and don't expect it to
make SoundCap files into beep sounds; you need "Sound->Snd" for that.

Oliver Steele				  ...!{decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!unc!steele
							steele%unc@mcnc.org

  "But remember, it's never too late to take Swahili." -- Peter Wolfenden

kaufman@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Kaufman) (10/30/87)

In article <1812@unc.cs.unc.edu> steele@unc.UUCP (Oliver Steele) writes:

>                           ...Right now there is no way to use a type 2
>resource as a system beep, or a type 1 resource as a HyperCard
>instrument.  Both of these 'snd ' formats are distinct from the 'ASND'
>resource that some programs use and that SuperPlay, for instance, can
>create.

Just for the heck of it, my son and I manually converted some Hypercard
sounds to system beeps.  For the record, the data format is identical to
that used in the (synth=5) waveform data record, which is described in
some tech note or other, but the header is different (in a minor way),
and the sample rate is different, so we had to change the 'note' value
to get the same sound.  Play around with it... it's not too hard.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Shasta.stanford.edu)

nazgul@apollo.uucp (Kee Hinckley) (11/03/87)

In article <1812@unc.cs.unc.edu> steele@unc.UUCP (Oliver Steele) writes:

> Please be aware that there are two different kinds of 'snd ' resources for
> the Mac.  Type 1 is used for the beeps you select from the Sound cdev, and
> the program "Sound->Snd", posted recently, converts from SoundCap data
> files to 'snd ' 1 resources.  Type 2 is used for the instruments you play
> from HyperCard, and the stack "SoundCapMover" converts from SoundCap data
> files to 'snd ' 2 resources.  Right now there is no way to use a type 2

The startup files that run automatigically under System 4.1 seemed to be
called SSNDs.  The only catch is that although they worked fine on the
SE, the don't seem to work on the Mac ][, even with the same version of
the system file, or with the 4.2 b06 system file.  Any ideas?

                                                        -nazgul

(Also, does anyone have a player for them?  It's a pain to test them out
by rebooting every time.)
--
### {mit-erl,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!nazgul  ### apollo!nazgul@eddie.mit.edu ###
### pro-angmar!nazgul@pro-sol.cts.com       ### nazgul@apollo.com           ###