[comp.sys.mac] Long Packet Mac Kermits

borton@net1.ucsd.edu (Chris Borton) (11/03/87)

In article <4087@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU> zz1ml@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Mick Laver) writes:
>Is anyone aware of a Mac comm package (commercial or otherwise)
>that supports Kermit's long-packets?

VersaTerm 3.1 does.  After the RR/MacTerm discussion here, I'd like to merely
list the features of this program.  I personally think it is the best $/byte of
software I've ever bought ($79 from ComputerWare).

File transfers: text/binary/MacBinary kermit, w/long packets, vanilla XMODEM
	text/MacBinary, & MacTerm XMODEM.  Multiple file sends and receives are
	supported for Kermit and MacTerm XMODEM.
Emulation: VT100, Tek 401[24], DataGeneral 200.  VERY SOLID VT100, no problems.
	Attibutes (blink, underline, bold) chooseable by color, too.
	VT100 132 column mode supported.
Macros: has automatic macro define, like 'Watch Me' of uPhone.  Not the full
	scripting language IF-THEN, but plenty for automating most things.
	Macros are available as option-keys, menu choice, and pop-up menu.
	They are stored in settings and/or command files; it is possible to
	load two sets in and switch between them.
Lines off Top: it has Save Stream, which is similar.  VersaTerm saves 2300
	lines (dependent upon available memory) off the top and has a Find
	command to search back through it.
Keyboards: full support of Control and Command keys as separate entities on
	ADB keyboards.  i.e. I can select text, hit cmd-c, and it copies.
	Control-C sends just that.
Key remapping: documentation on how to change the programs keyboard layout.
	Also, automatic 'Translation' of incoming and outgoing text is
	supported; this is useful for international use, such as mapping
	#<->pound symbol (UK), o-umlaut -> oe (German) ...
Baud rates: supports all up to 19.2K.  I've used _many_ Mac terminal programs
	intesively, and this baby beats them all.  MacTerm is sad on through-
	put.  A close second is uw.
Multi-Finder support: you'll love this one.  When running under MF, if a
	file transfer is started the term window automatically does a zoom
	small and you can click in another window, while it downloads in the
	background.  It really works!

In short, I'm sold.  I bought it, too :-)  I have no connection to VersaTerm
in any way except as an ecstatic user.  It is a solid, reliable product, and
I've never seen such quick support of new system features.

I hope this provides material merely for comparison, not for virtue-extolling
ad infinitum.  I have a macro called 'Bucket of water' for all flames sent to
me :-))).

-cbb
Chris "Johann" Borton, UC San Diego	...!sdcsvax!net1!borton
					borton@net1.ucsd.edu
"Letztes Jahr in Deutschland, noch ein Jahr hier, en dan naar het Nederland!