[comp.sys.mac] Apple Extended Keyboard Support

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (11/02/87)

Will Apple be releasing any kind of support for my Extended keyboard?  I'd hate
to have to buy a product like QuickKeys just to use something that Apple
should have for free.

Jeff Sullivan				University of Pittsburgh
pitt!cisunx!jasst3			Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS (BITNET)			Graduate Student
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (11/03/87)

In article <4820@cisunx.UUCP>, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) writes:
> Will Apple be releasing any kind of support for my Extended keyboard?  I'd hate
> to have to buy a product like QuickKeys just to use something that Apple
> should have for free.

Each of the keys on the extended keyboard sends a code, just like any other
key.  It is up to application programs to check for those codes, just like on
the PC and its ilk.  The support is already there, now it's up to applications
to recognize the results they're being fed.

QuicKeys, however, is an excellent product and should be strongly considered by
anyone who is going to be using a MacPlus, SE, or II especially now that Multi-
finder is out.  Define application-specific keysets, something that SuperKey
and its brethren don't allow, and macro your common activities in each app that
you run.  It saves a lot of time and aggravation.  They wouldn't allow me to
put a few "special" key equivalents into dBASE Mac for things like "Print
Current Form" and defining a field as Numeric, but with QuicKeys I have those
when I'm running dBASE Mac.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
Disclaimer:  Opinions expressed are my own.  I don't know what (if any) opinions
my employer might have on any subject under discussion.