[comp.sys.mac] Reducing fan noise from Macintosh I

gillies@uiucdcsp.UUCP (10/29/87)

While you are moving your video card: Has anyone upgraded their video
card with their own chips?  A store technician told me it just
involves adding RAM chips.  Our Mac II uses 8 412564-150 chips.  I'm
not sure, but I believe these must be twin-ported 150ns 64K*4 chips.
I looked in BYTE briefly for this type of chip, but I didn't see it
for sale (not even at JameCo).  I saw other twin-ported 64K chips for
$4 each (41266?).  Thus, in principle, you should be able to buy the
chips for (?$32) and (*CAREFULLY AVOIDING STATIC DISCHARGE*) put them
in yourself.

Has anyone done this themself?  Apple charges over $100 for the
upgrade.

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois

cm450s02@uhccux.UUCP (jeff t. segawa) (10/30/87)

In article <76000034@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>While you are moving your video card: Has anyone upgraded their video
>card with their own chips?

I picked up a set of NEC 41264-12 chips from the local Heath-Zenith
dealer. Paid about $70 for the set, and they work fine. I've heard
that these same chips can be had for $45 or so by mail order, but
I don't have any addresses or phone numbers on hand.

herbw@midas.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) (11/04/87)

--------

In article <18318@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> While you are moving your video card: Has anyone upgraded their video
> card with their own chips?  A store technician told me it just
> involves adding RAM chips.  Our Mac II uses 8 412564-150 chips.  I'm
> not sure, but I believe these must be twin-ported 150ns 64K*4 chips.
> I looked in BYTE briefly for this type of chip, but I didn't see it
> for sale (not even at JameCo).  I saw other twin-ported 64K chips for
> $4 each (41266?).  Thus, in principle, you should be able to buy the
> chips for (?$32) and (*CAREFULLY AVOIDING STATIC DISCHARGE*) put them
> in yourself.

New Image Technology (301-464-3100) will sell you the chips to do this
for $64.  This is not a product they normally market - they are doing
this as a "convenience to their customers".  If you're not already a
customer, I guess buying the chips from them makes you a customer :-)
If the receptionist doesn't know what you are asking for, you may need
to talk to Mike.  (You can tell them I sent you.)

Disclaimer: I do freelance software development work for New Image Technology,
but I don't make any money if you buy video rams from them.  (Buy a scanner
instead! :-) )

                                     Herb Weiner (...!tektronix!midas!herbw)