[comp.sys.mac] StuffIt. Please use PackIt!!

roland@sics.se (Roland Karlsson) (10/26/87)

Oh no!

Not yet an other way of distributing mac files.

I am unfourtainly forced to download StuffIt. Some person (Thats the most
positive word I can think of) may use this NEW PackIt format. Please don't.

StuffIt may be better than PackIt. It may save some bytes on the net. But
it is not worth it! I (and probably you) already have a working solution how
to download with PackIt ( Using PackIt (on MAC), unpit (on UNIX), etc. ).

-----

Please Tony Jacobs tell the net NOT to use your maybe very good program.

In spite of the first lines I don't want to offend you. I just don't
want to have one more way to download programs.

	Roland Karlsson

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (10/28/87)

In article <1562@sics.se> roland@sics.se (Roland Karlsson) writes:
>Oh no!
>
>Not yet an other way of distributing mac files.
>
>I am unfourtainly forced to download StuffIt. Some person (Thats the most
>positive word I can think of) may use this NEW PackIt format. Please don't.
>
>StuffIt may be better than PackIt. It may save some bytes on the net. But
>it is not worth it! I (and probably you) already have a working solution how
>to download with PackIt ( Using PackIt (on MAC), unpit (on UNIX), etc. ).
>
>-----
>
>Please Tony Jacobs tell the net NOT to use your maybe very good program.
>
>In spite of the first lines I don't want to offend you. I just don't
>want to have one more way to download programs.
>
>	Roland Karlsson

You obviously haven't used or even looked at the program yet! First of all it
is not my program, I wish it was, I would make some good bucks off it.  I am
quite sure it WILL become the new standard.  Packit was better than nothing,
just barely! If you would at least look you would notice that you can still
un pack Packit files with Stuffit.

Stuffit doesn't just save a few bytes, it can save TONS of them little buggers.
I have seen files that packed twice as small as Packit. When you add up all the
traffic that comes across the net, it will make a big difference. Stuffit is
zillions of times more friendly when dealing with lots of small files. You can
also unpack Packit files directly into Stuffit archives.

The only reasons I can think of why switching to Stuffit would cause problems
is for those folks who don't have Stuffit yet, and for those very few who use
the password and encryption features of Packit.  And of couse there are those
out there who like it in their rut and don't like anything new and improved.

Stuffit is free for downloading, only $15 for archiving.  The cat is out of the
bag and I doubt I could stop its spread if I wanted to.

Tony Jacobs
Center for Engineering Design
University of Utah

david@hpsmtc1.UUCP (10/28/87)

Yes you should use Stuffit on your Mac...because it unpacks Packit III files!

and furthermore you can see all of the files in a stuffit container and
selectively extract them rather than the one at a time, read thru the first
file to see the name of the next file bother in Packit (yeechhh!).

So, you can unpack Packit files and stuffit files with Stuffit, plus you
can pack whole directories (oops folders, that was a DOS flashback) by
selecting the folder.

The documentation includes the C data structures to the Stuffit format, so
I would assume you could write a unix version to Unpit or unstuff to a Unix
box.

The Unpack option is on the menu bar about the middle of the screen.

isle@dartvax.UUCP (Ken Hancock) (10/28/87)

In article <1562@sics.se> roland@sics.se (Roland Karlsson) writes:
>I am unfourtainly forced to download StuffIt. Some person (Thats the most
>positive word I can think of) may use this NEW PackIt format. Please don't.
>
>StuffIt may be better than PackIt. It may save some bytes on the net. But
>it is not worth it! I (and probably you) already have a working solution how
>to download with PackIt ( Using PackIt (on MAC), unpit (on UNIX), etc. ).

I wish to differ.  I think in long term, StuffIt will become more popular
as can be seen already on BBS's, Compuserve, GEnie, etc.  StuffIt is
much easier to use, better packing, faster, and friendlier.  I realize it
may be an inconvenience to unstuff on the mac instead of xbin'ing and
unpit'ing on UNIX, but in the long term, I think you'd like StuffIt
much more if you gave it a try.  It's fantastic for archiving old
files/paint pictures, etc.

Ken

P.S.  My $$$ is in the mail as soon as I get paid....*grin*

--
Ken Hancock      UUCP: isle@dartvax
               BITNET: isle@u2.dartmouth.edu

DISCLAIMER: If people weren't so sue-happy, I wouldn't need one!

borscht@dartvax.UUCP (Andy J. Williams) (10/28/87)

In article <7499@dartvax.UUCP> isle@dartvax.UUCP (Ken Hancock) writes:
>In article <1562@sics.se> roland@sics.se (Roland Karlsson) writes:
>>I am unfourtainly forced to download StuffIt. Some person (Thats the most
>>positive word I can think of) may use this NEW PackIt format. Please don't.
>>
>>StuffIt may be better than PackIt. It may save some bytes on the net. But
>>it is not worth it! I (and probably you) already have a working solution how
>>to download with PackIt ( Using PackIt (on MAC), unpit (on UNIX), etc. ).
>>

>I wish to differ.  I think in long term, StuffIt will become more popular
>as can be seen already on BBS's, Compuserve, GEnie, etc.  StuffIt is
>much easier to use, better packing, faster, and friendlier.  I realize it
>may be an inconvenience to unstuff on the mac instead of xbin'ing and
>unpit'ing on UNIX, but in the long term, I think you'd like StuffIt
>much more if you gave it a try.  It's fantastic for archiving old
>files/paint pictures, etc.

>Ken

I agree completely.  I too had a working solution but I now see a better one.
Why stick with the inefficient?  And the best part is the ability to add to
an archive and remove whatever you want from it.  It simply is a better tool.
Maybe someone should get on the ball and write up a new unpit on UNIX...
It's kinda like continuing to use MacWrite when you have MS Word 3.01... you
don't want to switch since all your files are written in Write... but since it
is better, you will see it more often, more files saved as Word Docs...

Hey, it's progress...

This message was NOT a paid for political announcement.
(tho' it sure sounded like one...)

>P.S.  My $$$ is in the mail as soon as I get paid....*grin*

He means, as soon as I pay him back the $$ I owe him... :):):):):):):):):)

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with anything at all.  I am just a satisfied
customer.

-Andy

P.S. As soon as I recover from paying Ken back, I will have my $$ in the mail...

--
Disclaimer: You better like my opinions, my mother can beat up your mother...

Andy J. Williams                               borscht@dartmouth.edu
vive spam and borscht!                  {ihnp4,decvax,linus}!dartvax!borscht

verber@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (10/29/87)

Another interesting packing program that is out there is the
CITIBundler.  This was written by the guys at CITI at Univ of Mich.
It doesn't have a very impressive user interface, but it will bundle
up directories and restore directories.  They have a stand alone
applications as when as MPW tools.  It is great for packing up a large
number of files that should go into specific locations.  As far as I
know it is free, and sources are availible.

Cheers,
Mark

reynolds@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (John Reynolds) (10/30/87)

As an example of the compression capabilities of StuffIt 1.10 as we
try to reduce net bandwidth, I did a little experiment.  I downloaded
the Teltnuag game from the net over the last couple of days after
appending the pieces together.  A binhex file of approx. 205K was the
result.  After unBinhexing the file a PackIt file of about 175K
resulted.  Unpacking yielded nearly 175K of files, some application
and some text based documents.  I then created a StuffIt archive from
the same files.  The StuffIt archive came to 87K.  Very Impressive
if you ask me!  As an aside, I found the package very convenient to
use.  This is one piece of shareware I will be glad to pay for.

--
	-John D. Reynolds
	 reynolds@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (11/02/87)

In article <1562@sics.se>, roland@sics.se (Roland Karlsson) writes:
> Oh no!
>
> Not yet an other way of distributing mac files.
>
> I am unfourtainly forced to download StuffIt. Some person (Thats the most
> positive word I can think of) may use this NEW PackIt format. Please don't.
>
> StuffIt may be better than PackIt. It may save some bytes on the net. But
> it is not worth it! I (and probably you) already have a working solution how
> to download with PackIt ( Using PackIt (on MAC), unpit (on UNIX), etc. ).
>
> -----
>
> Please Tony Jacobs tell the net NOT to use your maybe very good program.
>
> In spite of the first lines I don't want to offend you. I just don't
> want to have one more way to download programs.
>
> 	Roland Karlsson

I say, why not?  It is an archiver rather than just a compressor, it's faster,
it generates (usually much) smaller files, and it's free to those who only use
it to decompress archives which relieves the general marketplace of either
having to find an alternative or not paying the shareware fee (and the vast
majority of this net has not from the number of registrations which Harry
received).  Every complaint registered against PackIt in the past was answered
by Raymond Lau's StuffIt program and I think it should be given a chance.  It's
an unwillingness to progress such as that expressed above that made the
dinosaurs extinct.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
--------------------------
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed above are my own.  I don't know what (if any)
opinions my employer might have on any subject under discussion.

pgn@usceast.UUCP (Paul Nevai) (11/04/87)

This argument about dumping StuffIt in favor of the goood ol' PackIt III
is becoming ridiculous. PackIt III served its purpose but now we have a
better program. PERIOD
As far as I am concerned I am for progress!

Have Orthogonal Polynomials
Will Travel

Paul Nevai                                N410106@univscvm.BITNET (PREFERRED)
Carolina Research Professor               .../!wright/!usceast/!pgn (UUCP)
Department of Mathematics                 pgn@cs.scarolina.edu.CSNET
University of South Carolina              73057,172.Compu$erve
Columbia, S.C. 29208                      1-(803)-777-3776.office
U.S.A.                                    1-(803)-777-4226.secy