[comp.sys.mac] Terminal Emulators and French Support

peter@aucs.UUCP (11/04/87)

Here's a question that I hope there's an answer to, but I'm not
that hopeful. The French department has been using a Televideo 955
with a French ROM as a terminal on our micro network here. This ROM
maps certain characters in the normal ASCII character set to appear
on screen as certain accented French characters. For example, the
character @ appears as "a accent grave" on screen. The French department
now has a Mac and will eventually convert all their documents on
the old micro to MS Word. For the time being however, they still
have to access these old files and want to use the Mac as a terminal.
Unfortunately, the characters that the TVI955 displayed on screen
as French characters, display as they really are on the Mac screen.
Does anyone know of a terminal emulator (preferably PD) that can be
configured to display French characters on screen when certain normal
characters are encountered? You help would be *greatly* appreciated.
(We're currently using Kermit.)

Peter Steele Acadia Univ. Wolfville NS Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121
UUCP:{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}dalcs!aucs!Peter BITNET:Peter@Acadia

borton@net1.ucsd.edu (Chris Borton) (11/04/87)

In article <504@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>Does anyone know of a terminal emulator (preferably PD) that can be
>configured to display French characters on screen when certain normal
>characters are encountered?

VersaTerm 3.1 has the provision to map incoming characters to something
different and vice-versa.  This would easily handle this--it also will save
files with the Mac grave-accent-e character in it, and translate it back if it
is sent back to the host.

-cbb
Chris "Johann" Borton, UC San Diego	...!sdcsvax!borton
					borton@ucsd.edu
"Letztes Jahr in Deutschland, noch ein Jahr hier, en dan naar Amsterdam!