[comp.sys.mac] Flames on Microsoft

peter@aucs.UUCP (11/04/87)

I don't normally openly flame a company, but this time I make an
exception. I've just spent an unreasonable amount of time in trying
to find out why MS Word's serial driver insisted on using the
serial printer being used is essentially a non-proportional device.
The difficulty this caused was that when you lined something up on
screen, it wouldn't be lined up when printed because the Geneva
spaces are smaller than the printer's spaces (among other things).
Even if you select Monaco or Courier, it still uses Geneva on screen.
That is, unless, you have the font Dover installed in your system
folder. This font is specifically designed for the serial driver,
although on page 16 in the manual where the serial driver is described,
nowhere do they mention that "for best results, Dover should be installed
or otherwise Geneva will be used and your spacing will be all screwed
up." Many thanks to the kind soul who told us of this fact. No thanks
to Microsoft and their lousy documentation. I suddenly am just that
much more anxious for my copy of FullWrite to arrive...

Peter Steele Acadia Univ. Wolfville NS Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121
UUCP:{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}dalcs!aucs!Peter BITNET:Peter@Acadia

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (Atul Kacker) (11/04/87)

In article <505@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>I don't normally openly flame a company, but this time I make an
>exception.
>I've just spent an unreasonable amount of time in trying
>to find out why MS Word's serial driver insisted on using the
>serial printer being used is essentially a non-proportional device.
>The difficulty this caused was that when you lined something up on
>screen, it wouldn't be lined up when printed because the Geneva
>spaces are smaller than the printer's spaces (among other things).

I am surprised people try to line up things on screen using spaces.
Use tabs, that's what they are there for.

>Even if you select Monaco or Courier, it still uses Geneva on screen.
>That is, unless, you have the font Dover installed in your system

I guess it's time again for another round of RTFM.  Page 54 of the
MS Word manual in the section on FONTS, tells you just that.  It says
specifically that if you are using an impact printer as chosen in the
Chooser dialog box and if you want things to be WYSIWYG you should be
using the Dover font.

If I had a problem on FONTS where would I look in the manual, under
FONTS of course.

Take a few minutes to cool off before you go around flaming anyone.

--
Atul Kacker        Internet: akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu
                   UUCP    : {rutgers,topaz}!rochester!tut!akk2