[comp.sys.mac] Mail-order and warranties

osmigo@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) (11/01/87)

This may have been brought up before, so feel free to hit "n." Many mail
order companies in MacWorld/User have policies of "all sales final." I'm
considering buying a hard disk from one of them, and was wondering if such
purchases typically included the original manufacturers' warranties, especially
the frequent "30-day-trial-money-back" type as advertised by Jasmine.

I'd also like to hear what anybody knows regarding the integrity of
Tussey Computer Products of State College, Pa., who have such an ad in
the November MacWorld. ~r}i

Considering the horrifying prices of HD's bought "off the shelf" in the
typical computer store, I'm sure this information would be of interest to
at least a few netters, so posted replies would certainly be apropos. Besides,
(R)eplying via e-mail is about as reliable as the weather, at least in my
case.

Thanks in advance,

Ron Morgan

--
UUCP: {ihnp4,allegra,ut-sally}!ut-ngp!osmigo
      osmigo@ut-ngp.UUCP

hunt@cg-atla.UUCP (Walter Hunt X7031) (11/02/87)

In article <6681@ut-ngp.UUCP> osmigo@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) writes:
>I'm
>considering buying a hard disk from one of them, and was wondering if such
>purchases typically included the original manufacturers' warranties, especially
>the frequent "30-day-trial-money-back" type as advertised by Jasmine.
>
>Considering the horrifying prices of HD's bought "off the shelf" in the
>typical computer store, I'm sure this information would be of interest to
>at least a few netters, so posted replies would certainly be apropos. Besides,
>(R)eplying via e-mail is about as reliable as the weather, at least in my
>case.

Ron:

	When I considered a hard disk, I went through the same set
of concerns.  The problem with mail order is, you don't know whether
you've made a good purchase until you've already made the decision.
All too often, I fear, the determining factor is not the product,
but the company that sells you the product.  Consider the relative
attitude of comp.sys.mac posters toward Icon Review and toward
MacConnection.  How many have had a bad experience with one or the
other?  Of those, what percentage were with IR?  Almost 100%, as far
as I recall.  (Guess which one I call when I want to order
something.)

	Some companies' disk drives are only available directly from
the "manufacturer", compounding the problem even further,
especially since the company that sells you a drive today could be
in Chapter 11 next week.  What happens if it breaks, or malfunctions
and eats your data, or catches on fire?  All warranty considerations
aside, what happens if you have to get the damn thing fixed?

	Products and companies that are endorsed in this and other
newsgroups have earned their reputation by satisfying the customer,
not only by offering quality products and reasonable prices, but
also by standing behind them after the sale.  When I considered
buying a hard disk, I read comp.sys.mac for advice.  My choice was
the Jasmine Direct Drive 80, which I purchased last summer for about
$1400.  I'm sure you could pick up MacUser or MACWORLD and find a
half dozen hard disks with better price/performance, but I wouldn't
be so sure that they would necessarily be there if I had a problem
down the line.   I think Jasmine will be.

	I cannot comment on the reliability of the company you
mentioned.  Perhaps they sell a fine and worthy product, will stand
behind the purchase, and will be in business if, six months from
now, you have disk drive problems.  Then again, maybe not.

Hope this helps.

Walter Hunt
Compugraphic Corporation
Wilmington, MA

				"Witty saying here"

anson@elrond.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (11/04/87)

In article <6681@ut-ngp.UUCP> osmigo@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) writes:
>" Many mail
>order companies in MacWorld/User have policies of "all sales final." I'm
>considering buying a hard disk from one of them, and was wondering if such
>purchases typically included the original manufacturers' warranties, especially
>the frequent "30-day-trial-money-back" type as advertised by Jasmine.

I'm looking at an ad for MacConnection.

It states: "Defective software replaced immediately.  Defective hardware
replaced or repaired at our discretion.  Some items have warranties up to
five years." My experience is that MacConnection always delivers what it
promises.  If you are looking at a different outfit, try asking them before
you buy.

Generally, all mail order houses deliver product complete with the
manufacturer's warranty, registration card, etc.

I buy *all* my software mail order.  But I'm a little reluctant to buy
hardware that way, due to the logistics of servicing (should it be required).
But then again, I bought my memory upgrade mail order and haven't regretted
it.
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM