[comp.sys.mac] System Configuration and Status

wmcb@ecsvax.UUCP (William C. Bauldry) (10/30/87)

	Lately I've seen several requests for a routine that
identifies which Finder, System file, etc. is/are currently running.
I'm putting such a tiny creature together and so here is a question:
	What would you like to be told about the system
	by this program ?
bill

john@felix.UUCP (John Gilbert) (11/03/87)

In article <4115@ecsvax.UUCP> wmcb@ecsvax.UUCP (Bill Bauldry) writes:

>	Lately I've seen several requests for a routine that
>identifies which Finder, System file, etc. is/are currently running.
>I'm putting such a tiny creature together and so here is a question:
>	What would you like to be told about the system
>	by this program ?
>bill

Uh, I think Apple beat you.  With the new system/finder (of course
I know what versions!!! 4.2/6.0), the About Finder... menu shows a
box telling you not only the versions for each, but how your memory
is utilized.  This is really swell under MultiFinder.

Also, someone recently posted that they observed that the released
system/finder/multifinder seemed to run smother/faster than the
beta versions.  I wanted to add that this is my impression as well.
Context switches seem to be faster, fewer delays when pulling down
menus.  Also, SuperPaint did not seem to work very well under the
beta copies, but works fine now, so some things are definately fixed.

John G.
--
John Gilbert
!trwrb!felix!john

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (11/04/87)

There is already a program which does this; it's called
"Describe".  The Lightspeed Pascal source code for
it is archived at SUMEX.

	-Ted

Ted C. Johnson
Hewlett Packard, Design Technology Center
Santa Clara, CA
(408)553-3555
UUCP: ...hplabs!hpcea!hpcilzb!tedj