[comp.sys.mac] How do I change icons?

snyder@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Scott Snyder) (11/04/87)

Hi,

I just downloaded and reconstructed Stuffit 1.1 .  How do I go about switching
the icons that are installed in the application to the nicer ones (I think)
included as a separate file?  I know I have to use Resedit to copy the icons
into the application but just copying and pasting didn't work. I'm sure I'm
missing something. Are there any books out that discuss using Resedit to change
or customize a Macintosh file?  Thanks in advance.

                        Scott

wiechman@athos.rutgers.edu (Wiechman) (11/04/87)

In article <2814@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> snyder@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Scott Snyder) writes:

> I just downloaded and reconstructed Stuffit 1.1 .  How do I go about switching
> the icons that are installed in the application to the nicer ones (I think)
> included as a separate file?  I know I have to use Resedit to copy the icons
> into the application but just copying and pasting didn't work. I'm sure I'm
> missing something. Are there any books out that discuss using Resedit to change
> or customize a Macintosh file?  Thanks in advance.

Using resedit copy and paste the icons into the resource type ICN or
ICN# I can't remember which it is off hand into the Stuffit 1.1
application, this is so that if the icon is moved to another disk the
new icon gets copied.

Now either cut/paste the icon into the desktop file as above or reboot
and hold down the option & command keys and the same time, a window
will open up and ask if you really want to recreate the desktop.

I hope this helps a bit.

Kevin