[comp.sys.mac] Screen shows only one vertical line

jcrc@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Harton) (11/04/87)

My Mac 512e (started as an 128k in 1984), displays the following symptom:
When switched on, the screen displays only one vertical line, in de middle
of the screen. Everything works, just no screen image. Sometimes, the problem
seems to disappear after a while (after heating up?). I would like to know
what to do about it (besides replacing the analog board).
Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Jaap Bood
ihnp4!ihlpg!hvlpb!jbood

rock%warp@Sun.COM (Bill Petro - Program Management Office) (11/05/87)

In article <4198@ihlpg.ATT.COM> jcrc@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Harton) writes:
>My Mac 512e (started as an 128k in 1984), displays the following symptom:
>When switched on, the screen displays only one vertical line, in de middle
>of the screen. Everything works, just no screen image. Sometimes, the problem
>seems to disappear after a while (after heating up?). I would like to know
>what to do about it (besides replacing the analog board).
>Does anybody have any suggestions?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Jaap Bood
>ihnp4!ihlpg!hvlpb!jbood

One problem common to upgrades is that the programmer switch does not fit
correctly with the new internal boards.  What you might do is loosen the
switch (it's removable) a bit by pulling it away from the machine.  That
may explain the thermal expansion.

Bill "Worked for me" Petro

{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun!warp!rock  Bill Petro

borton@net1.ucsd.edu (Chris Borton) (11/05/87)

In article <4198@ihlpg.ATT.COM> jcrc@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Harton) writes:
>My Mac 512e (started as an 128k in 1984), displays the following symptom:
>When switched on, the screen displays only one vertical line, in de middle
>of the screen. Everything works, just no screen image. Sometimes, the problem
>seems to disappear after a while (after heating up?). I would like to know
>what to do about it (besides replacing the analog board).

I had to solve this problem just before the articles in MacTutor (March and
April, I think) described this in detail.  Simply put, the big solder points on
your analog board leading to the video have 'gone cold' :-) and need to be
redone.  After two hours of tracing, 2 seconds of soldering iron fixed the
problem.

This is easy to solve IF YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH SOLDERING AND WORKING ON
PC-BOARDS!  If you're not, see those MacTutors--they list the dealer in LA that
will solve this for you, assuming your local dealer follows Apple's rules and
doesn't work on it.

The solder joint is located underneath the upper-right stickum sticker.

Good luck, and please be careful--lots of nasty voltage in there that you can
hurt yourself on.  I can't take any responsibility for this; I'm just all for
information/experience sharing to avoid similar experiences.

-cbb
Chris "Johann" Borton, UC San Diego	...!sdcsvax!borton
					borton@ucsd.edu
"Letztes Jahr in Deutschland, noch ein Jahr hier, en dan naar Amsterdam!