[comp.sys.mac] Fedit chokes on RLL hard disk

eacj@batcomputer.UUCP (11/06/87)

I just tried to use Fedit to look at some files on our DataFrame 150i hard
disk.  All I got was some dialog boxes informing me that the nodes and
files were unintelligible.

Is this because the 150i uses RLL encoding?  If so, does anyone know if
there is a version of Fedit, or an equivalent program that can read and
edit RLL disks?  The version of Fedit that I have is 1.0.4.

--
Julian Vrieslander    (607) 255-3594
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

stew@endor.harvard.edu (Stew Rubenstein) (11/06/87)

In article <2831@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) writes:
>I just tried to use Fedit to look at some files on our DataFrame 150i hard
>disk.  All I got was some dialog boxes informing me that the nodes and
>files were unintelligible.
>
>Is this because the 150i uses RLL encoding?  If so, does anyone know if
>there is a version of Fedit, or an equivalent program that can read and
>edit RLL disks?  The version of Fedit that I have is 1.0.4.

No, it's not anything to do with the encoding.  Fedit 1.0.4 has a bug
which prevents it from working on hard disks larger than 20 Mbytes.
The symptoms are exactly as you describe.

The bug was fixed in version 1.0.7, which I didn't bother getting
because when I discovered the bug (six months ago), version 2 was
going to be out any day now.

Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC