[comp.sys.mac] X-windows for the Mac?

royt@gatech.edu (Roy M Turner) (11/01/87)

Hi--

This is probably a pointless question, but is there or is there likely to
be a version of X-windows for the Mac?  We are using a SUN and some Lisp
machines (although we don't have X up on the lispm's yet), and it would be
nice to sit at home and use X.

Thanks.

Roy
--
Roy Turner
School of Information and Computer Science

borton@net1.ucsd.edu (Chris Borton) (11/02/87)

In article <16518@gatech.edu> royt@gatech.UUCP (Roy M Turner) writes:
>This is probably a pointless question, but is there or is there likely to
>be a version of X-windows for the Mac?  We are using a SUN and some Lisp
>machines (although we don't have X up on the lispm's yet), and it would be
>nice to sit at home and use X.

One of the praises I heard for A/UX back in March or April was that a developer
had been given a Mac II with A/UX and X-Windows the day before a show and had
it running demonstrations the day after at the affair.  I don't know if
anything came of this. I seem to recall the show being in Pennsylvania, but
that could be vapor-thought. :-)

Of course, that doesn't do much for most of the Mac community not running A/UX

-cbb
Chris "Johann" Borton, UC San Diego	...!sdcsvax!net1!borton
					borton@net1.ucsd.edu
"Letztes Jahr in Deutschland, noch ein Jahr hier, en dan naar het Nederland!

stew@endor.UUCP (11/02/87)

In article <16518@gatech.edu> royt@gatech.UUCP (Roy M Turner) writes:
>This is probably a pointless question, but is there or is there likely to
>be a version of X-windows for the Mac?

Yes, for certain it'll be part of A/UX.  That may mean that the
impetus will be there to port it to the current Mac O/S.

Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC

viking@silver.UUCP (11/02/87)

Yes...X-windows is running on a Mac II, but only under A/UX.  Both Ohio
State University and Berkeley have completed a port (I believe).  I don't
think you'll ever see an X-windows 'terminal program' running under the
normal Mac HFS software, however.

By the way, A/UX is nice but I'm not sure how much the final product will
cost (you need the Motorola MMU and you should have lots of disk space and
at least 4 megs of main memory).  Don't expect it to be cheap.

|  Jon W. Backstrom             "Yah sure...we gonna have fun, you bet!"      |
|  Computer Science Department                                                |
|  Indiana University           UUCP: {ihnp4,pyramid,rutgers}!iuvax!viking    |
|  Lindley Hall 101             ARPA: viking@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu             |
|  Bloomington, IN  47405                                                     |
|                               "The world has arrived at an age of cheap     |
|  (812) 335-2849 (Office)       complex devices of great reliability; and    |
|  (812) 336-3660 (Home)         something is bound to come of it."           |
|                                                 - Vannevar Bush (1945)      |

verber@tut.UUCP (11/02/87)

X does indeed run under A/UX.  The port was done at Berkeley and has
been runs since early spring as I recall.  It was a quick and dirty
port using the basic bit chiseling.  The next version (which might be
done now) was to use the Apple roms for fast and fancy windows,
graphics, etc.  I also believe that NeWS has been ported to the MacII,
but this is unconfirmed.

Cheers,
Computer Science Department			         Mark A. Verber
The Ohio State University			 verber@ohio-state.arpa
+1 (614) 292-7344				  cbosgd!osu-cis!verber

nazgul@apollo.uucp (Kee Hinckley) (11/03/87)

In article <3083@husc6.UUCP> stew@endor.UUCP (Stew Rubenstein) writes:
> In article <16518@gatech.edu> royt@gatech.UUCP (Roy M Turner) writes:
> >This is probably a pointless question, but is there or is there likely to
> >be a version of X-windows for the Mac?
>
> Yes, for certain it'll be part of A/UX.  That may mean that the
> impetus will be there to port it to the current Mac O/S.

There is at least one non A/UX port too as well, I think someone at MIT
was doing it.  However I doubt that you will see any port that will work
over a modem.  Even at 9600 baud I doubt the throughput would be terribly
good.
                                           -nazgul
--
### {mit-erl,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!nazgul  ### apollo!nazgul@eddie.mit.edu ###
### pro-angmar!nazgul@pro-sol.cts.com       ### nazgul@apollo.com           ###

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (11/04/87)

Does the A/UX version of X windows use a 3-button mouse (as does the
original X system, developed by MIT and DEC)?  If not, how do they
get around this?

	-Ted

lih@cunixc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) (11/04/87)

Yes, there is an X-windows for the Mac...it should be incorporated into
the new Apple UNIX product sometime soon.
Look into the latest issue of Macintosh Today for details...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Andrew A Lih...Computer Consultant, Columbia University..

lih@cunixc@columbia.edu

---------------

urban@sol.SPS.TRW.COM (Michael Urban) (11/04/87)

In article <383ec1cf.b0a1@apollo.uucp> nazgul@apollo.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) writes:
(in regards to porting the X Window System to the Mac)

>There is at least one non A/UX port too as well, I think someone at MIT
>was doing it.  However I doubt that you will see any port that will work
>over a modem.  Even at 9600 baud I doubt the throughput would be terribly
>good.

It would seem to me that another approach would be productive from the
point of view of writing portable applications: don't port the X
protocol, just implement the X library in a way that only allows
windows to be created on the local display, doing its window
creation and painting via the Mac toolbox.  With this approach, you
could run things like xterm, xmille, etc., as long as you don't try
to talk to a remote server or client, and you could build/prototype
(X-based) window applications that run on your Mac and can be
trivially ported to Suns, Vaxen, etc.  Obviously, this leaves out an
important aspect of X, but the result would still, I think, be valuable.

Or am I missing some important issue?

--
   Mike Urban
	...!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!urban

"You're in a maze of twisty UUCP connections, all alike"

phil@apple.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) (11/05/87)

In article <4233@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> borton@net1.UUCP (Chris Borton) writes:
>One of the praises I heard for A/UX back in March or April was that a developer
>had been given a Mac II with A/UX and X-Windows the day before a show and had
>it running demonstrations the day after at the affair.  I don't know if
>anything came of this. I seem to recall the show being in Pennsylvania, but
>that could be vapor-thought. :-)
>Chris "Johann" Borton, UC San Diego	...!sdcsvax!net1!borton
>					borton@net1.ucsd.edu

Yes - that did happen. The person was Norm Meyorwitz at Brown Univ. and
he put his hypertext application up under X 10.4. It was in March 87,
right before Mac World. He got his Mac II with A/UX on Friday before the
show, unplugged his SUN from the Ethernet, plugged in A/UX, used the SUN
internet address and host name, mounted the NFS filesystems, and the
application was up and running in about 4 hours.

Philip K. Ronzone
A/UX Technical Manager

MAIL:  Philip K. Ronzone
       Apple Computer
       Mail Stop 27AJ
       10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.
       Cupertino, CA  95014

UUCP:  ...!{sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil

kent@decwrl.dec.com (Christopher A. Kent) (11/05/87)

Given the power of the Mac toolbox, it seems that any X implementation would
benefit from using the toolbox. Given the "thinness" of most Mac connections
to the outside world (at worst 1200 baud, at best AppleTalk speeds, ignoring
Ethernet cards for now) it seems that sending the full X protocol to the Mac
would be a loss.

I think the way to implement X for non A/UX machines is the way it's been
done for the so-called "X terminals". Some large host (a VAX or Sun) runs
half of the X server -- the half that speaks to clients, manages fonts, etc.
It speaks to the Mac with a lightweight protocol that implements the X
functions via the toolbox. The server-side manages font translations,
intercepts bitmaps, translates input events back and forth, provides
virtual memory for keeping really large resources around. The Mac just
paints bits, keeps some small bitmaps around, and handles input events.

This would allow all properly written X applications to work just fine
on the Mac, taking advantage of all the work that's gone into the toolbox.

Comments?

Cheers,
chris
--
Chris Kent	Western Research Laboratory	Digital Equipment Corporation
kent@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!kent			(415) 853-6639

jteh@mulga.oz (J.T. Teh) (11/06/87)

In article <870027@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

> Does the A/UX version of X windows use a 3-button mouse (as does the
> original X system, developed by MIT and DEC)?  If not, how do they
> get around this?
>
> 	-Ted

How about :
	single click for 1st button
	double click for 2nd button
	triple click for 3rd button?

:-) Couldn't resist it!

---------------------------
J.T Teh
"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
							- James Elliot
===========================
UUCP:	{seismo,mcvax,ukc,ubc-vision}!mulga!jteh
ARPA:	jteh%mulga.oz@seismo.css.gov
CSNET:	jteh%mulga.oz@australia

phil@apple.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) (11/06/87)

In article <870027@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

>Does the A/UX version of X windows use a 3-button mouse (as does the
>original X system, developed by MIT and DEC)?  If not, how do they
>get around this?
>
>	-Ted
We use the "extra" keys on the keyboard.