[comp.sys.mac] Password for a Hard Disk

rock%warp@Sun.COM (Bill Petro - Program Management Office) (10/30/87)

A friend of mine asked me if it is possible to password a hard disk.  I told him
of disk partitioning programs like MacServe from Infosphere, which will allow one
to password partitions.  What he wants though is a program that works during
boot up that requires one to enter a password before the desktop even comes up.
Anyone know of anything?

{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun!warp!rock  Bill Petro

keith@apple.UUCP (Keith Rollin) (10/31/87)

In article <32504@sun.uucp> rock@sun.UUCP (Bill Petro - Program Management Office) writes:

>A friend of mine asked me if it is possible to password a hard disk.  I told
>him of disk partitioning programs like MacServe from Infosphere, which will
>allow one to password partitions.  What he wants though is a program that
>works during boot up that requires one to enter a password before the desktop
>even comes up.  Anyone know of anything?

I think that MacSafe from Kent Marsh, Limited, does this. They are somewhere
in Southern California.

--

Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
Sales Technical Support                               pyramid!sun !apple!keith

Disclaimer: I read this board for fun, not profit. Anything I say is from the
            result of reading magazines, hacking, and soaking my head in acid.

waltervj@dartvax.UUCP (walter jeffries) (11/04/87)

In article <32504@sun.uucp> rock@sun.UUCP (Bill Petro - Program Management Office) writes:
>>A friend of mine asked me if it is possible to password a hard disk.  I told him
>of disk partitioning programs like MacServe from Infosphere, which will allow one
>to password partitions.  What he wants though is a program that works during
>boot up that requires one to enter a password before the desktop even comes up.
>Anyone know of anything?

SysPassword, a PD or Shareware program will do this. BUT, there is a serious
problem with this type of passworking.  It can be circumvented by booting
from a floppy.
-Waltervj.

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (11/06/87)

Supermac, the people who make dataframes, sell a very nice one. It is
works with their disk drivers, so even if you boot from a floppy
the hard disk is still safe from prying eyes.