[comp.sys.mac] MultiFinder versus SuiteCase

pgn@usceast.UUCP (10/31/87)

At least on my Mac SuiteCase is not MultiFinder compatible, or depending
on one's point of view vice versa.
Anyone else on the Net has had similar experiences?
Please share with us your impressions.

Paul Nevai                                N410106@univscvm.BITNET (PREFERRED)
Carolina Research Professor               .../!wright/!usceast/!pgn (UUCP)
Department of Mathematics                 pgn@cs.scarolina.edu.CSNET
University of South Carolina              73057,172.Compu$erve
Columbia, S.C. 29208                      1-(803)-777-3776.office
U.S.A.                                    1-(803)-777-4226.secy

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (11/01/87)

>At least on my Mac SuiteCase is not MultiFinder compatible, or depending
>on one's point of view vice versa.

This is known, and Steve Brecher is working on compatibility.

---
Chuq "Fixed in 4.0" Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM	Delphi: CHUQ

stew@endor.harvard.edu (Stew Rubenstein) (11/02/87)

In article <2447@usceast.UUCP> pgn@usceast.uucp.UUCP (Paul Nevai) writes:
>At least on my Mac SuiteCase is not MultiFinder compatible, or depending
>on one's point of view vice versa.

I am using Suitcase with Multifinder 1.0 with no problems.  The only
restriction (it's documented in the Suitcase manual with respect to
Switcher and Servant) is that you can't open new font or da files
while the multitasking software is running.  Doesn't bother me much.
It would bother me less if you could quit from Multifinder without
rebooting, but you can't...

Apple: please consider this for a future release.  You may be hoping
that it will become less necessary to exit Multifinder as more
software becomes compatible, but I think there will always be some
programs and some system level operations which want the whole
machine.  For example, standalone backup.

Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC

robertj@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (Rob Jellinghaus) (11/06/87)

In article <3080@husc6.UUCP> stew@endor.UUCP (Stew Rubenstein) writes:
>It would bother me less if you could quit from Multifinder without
>rebooting, but you can't...
>
>Apple: please consider this for a future release.  You may be hoping
>that it will become less necessary to exit Multifinder as more
>software becomes compatible, but I think there will always be some
>programs and some system level operations which want the whole
>machine.  For example, standalone backup.

You can't?!  I have a beta version of MF (1.0b6) (the real McCoy hasn't
made it out to New England yet), and if you option-double-click on the
Finder under Multifinder, you get bumped out of MF back into single-
tasking.

Is this a bug or feature that no longer exists in the release version?

>Stew Rubenstein
>Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
>UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
>Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC

Rob Jellinghaus                | "Lemme graze in your veldt,
jellinghaus@yale.edu.UUCP      |  Lemme trample your albino,
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |  Lemme nibble on your buds,
!..!ihnp4!hsi!yale!jellinghaus |  I'm your... Love Rhino" -- Bloom County