[comp.sys.mac] Reasons to avoid StuffIt.

bradn@tekig4.TEK.COM (Bradford Needham) (11/02/87)

In article <7507@dartvax.UUCP> borscht@dartvax.UUCP (Andy J. Williams) writes:
>Why stick with the inefficient?

Efficiency is not the only feature of a transfer program.  I have several
reasons to stick with the current (BinHex, UnPit) packers:

1) Binary transfer is complex enough as it is.  To download programs from
the net, a user needs all of: Kermit (or similar), BinHex, and Packit (or
UnPit).  StuffIt adds yet another protocol to the minimum set.  Why complicate
matters?

2) They are widely available.  How many times have you seen requests for
BinHex on this newsgroup?  Remember all the confused and frustrated requests
for Packit?  Why repeat that experience?

3) They are free.  BinHex4.0 and UnPit are free programs.  StuffIt is
shareware (for the packer).  Why use a shareware program when a free one
is available?

4) They are stable.  BinHex4.0 and UnPit have been in use long enough to
demonstrate that they work.  Why test a new program?

To authors who would write yet another binary transfer protocol for the Mac:
There are so many fantastically useful applications that haven't been written;
why waste your creativity rewriting those that already exist?

Brad Needham
brupbe socatrdche bri

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (11/03/87)

>>Why stick with the inefficient?

Because the status quo is always safe. Not better, but safe.

>Efficiency is not the only feature of a transfer program.  I have several
>reasons to stick with the current (BinHex, UnPit) packers:

>1) Binary transfer is complex enough as it is.  To download programs from
>the net, a user needs all of: Kermit (or similar), BinHex, and Packit (or
>UnPit).  StuffIt adds yet another protocol to the minimum set.  Why complicate
>matters?

Well, Delphi is rapidly moving towards Stuffit as default from what I can
see, because it significantly reduces download time/cost. If you expect to
use the stuff crossposted here from Delphi, you better get used to Stuffit.
I expect other Timesharing services will adopt it as well as folks find it.

>2) They are widely available.

Stuffit is at least as available as Binhex.

>3) They are free.  BinHex4.0 and UnPit are free programs.  StuffIt is
>shareware (for the packer).  Why use a shareware program when a free one
>is available?

Binhex 4.0 is shareware. If you copy isn't, someone illegally modified it.

Of course, Binhex doesn't matter. This is packit vs. Stuffit. Packit is
shareware for both the packer and the unpacker. unpit takes care of this for
the unpacker, but the packer is still in the same situation for both
programs.

>4) They are stable.  BinHex4.0 and UnPit have been in use long enough to
>demonstrate that they work.  Why test a new program?

Stuffit has shown itself to be very stable.

All my stuff will be in stuffit format, because I'm interested in living in
today, not yesterday. Packit did its job. Stuffit does it much better. If
you don't want to use any of my stuff, that's your perogative. But you're
artificially limiting yourself.

Stuffit is Good Stuff.

---
Chuq "Fixed in 4.0" Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM	Delphi: CHUQ

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (11/03/87)

I'm told my someone whose opinion I respect that StuffIt
	a) is far superior in compression density (up to 3:1)
	b) will be the standard for Compu$erve
Certainly enough for me to get a copy and, if what I hear about
the user interface and pricing (free for unpacking) make the switch.
--
	Joel West (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083

dtw@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Duane Williams) (11/03/87)

| StuffIt adds yet another protocol to the minimum set.  Why complicate
| matters?

	It's too late.  Have you looked at the files on
	GEnie and CompuServe lately?  StuffIt is here to stay.  The
	thing to do is to persuade the author to build BinHex into
	StuffIt; then you would have all the protocols in one program.

| StuffIt is shareware (for the packer).  Why use a shareware program when a
| free one is available?

	StuffIt is free for the unpacker.  No one is forced to use it
	for packing.

| Why test a new program?

	Progress.

Finally, StuffIt is a nifty compression and archiving program, even if you
don't want to use it for binary file transfer.

Duane Williams
dtw@cs.cmu.edu

mentat@auscso.UUCP (Robert Dorsett) (11/03/87)

In article <2103@tekig4.TEK.COM> bradn@tekig4.UUCP (Bradford Needham) writes:
>In article <7507@dartvax.UUCP> borscht@dartvax.UUCP (Andy J. Williams) writes:
>>Why stick with the inefficient?
>
>Efficiency is not the only feature of a transfer program.  I have several
>reasons to stick with the current (BinHex, UnPit) packers:

So why not trash your COMPUTER and go back to pencil/paper, typewriter/paper,
because it's "standardized"? :-)

>1) Binary transfer is complex enough as it is.  To download programs from
>the net, a user needs all of: Kermit (or similar), BinHex, and Packit (or
>UnPit).  StuffIt adds yet another protocol to the minimum set.  Why complicate
>matters?

Because it's so INCREDIBLY efficient.  It's at least three times as fast as
PackIt III, has MUCH more efficient data compression, has a much friendlier
user environment, and has better error handling/diagnostics (i.e., you know
what's going on when something screws up).

>2) They are widely available.  How many times have you seen requests for
>BinHex on this newsgroup?  Remember all the confused and frustrated requests
>for Packit?  Why repeat that experience?

So let's dream up a form letter for such people.  Such a letter would read:
"Contact your local computer store or users group."  No big deal.  The "con-
fusing and frustrating experience" is something we have to go through once,
when we're *first* getting started.  StuffIt is similar enough to PackIt
in philosophy of operation that the "replacement" notices should be sufficient
to get it used without undue problems.

And the fact remains: StuffIt is being used WIDELY already.  The BMUG BBS
already has programs uploaded in StuffIt format, and several local BBS's
*insist* on the format.  Mainly due to the length savings: one will spend
less time uploading/downloading the program, reducing inconvenience to
other users, and permitting more software to be stored on a disk with a
given capacity.

>3) They are free.  BinHex4.0 and UnPit are free programs.  StuffIt is
>shareware (for the packer).  Why use a shareware program when a free one
>is available?

Okay, so maybe 1 out of every 50 people will send in a couple of bucks to the
author.  So what?  I happen to think authors should stand some hope of being
rewarded for the work they do.  StuffIt clearly represents a deal more work
than PackIt.  The difference between "shareware" and "not shareware but
freely accessible" (I got flamed on my use of "Public domain" recently :-)) is
that, after writing a program, the author sits down and writes a little notice
asking for money.  That's about it.  That implies a confidence in his work,
although I've seen the shareware label on some real trash.  I doubt if many
people enthusiastically write a program for the immensely profitable share-
ware market, so if altruism is your concern, no need to be.

>4) They are stable.  BinHex4.0 and UnPit have been in use long enough to
>demonstrate that they work.  Why test a new program?

I've used StuffIt extensively the last couple of weeks, and haven't run into
a single error.  I suspect the algorithm is stable; the version differences
seem to deal with polishing the user interface (i.e., StuffIt 1.13 seems
friendlier than StuffIt 0.97).

--
Robert Dorsett                  {allegra,ihnp4}!ut-sally!ut-ngp!walt!mentat
University of Texas at Austin	{allegra, ihnp4}!ut-sally!ut-ngp!auscso!mentat

dowdy@apple.UUCP (Tom Dowdy) (11/03/87)

In article <2103@tekig4.TEK.COM> bradn@tekig4.UUCP (Bradford Needham) writes:

>1) Binary transfer is complex enough as it is.  To download programs from
>the net, a user needs all of: Kermit (or similar), BinHex, and Packit (or
>UnPit).  StuffIt adds yet another protocol to the minimum set.  Why complicate
>matters?

I agree.  I don't mind binary transfers, but why I have to go through
so many steps and procedures sometimes really makes me wonder.
I don't agree with the point to avoid StuffIt, as net bandwidth is
a serious matter to "the powers that be".
But I think I have a suggestion that would fix the problem of having
all of those applications just to convert files.

>To authors who would write yet another binary transfer protocol for the Mac:
>There are so many fantastically useful applications that haven't been written;
>why waste your creativity rewriting those that already exist?

I have something for people like this to write.  When I was still in school
I had a great idea.  Write a public domain conversion program that did
BinHex and Packit in one place, plus provided routines to automatically
convert any incoming or outgoing ASCII character into another either before
or after BINHEXing.  (We had a problem with Kermit and our IBM when
I tried to BITNET a file to a VAX, the only solution was some clever
character translations before sending)  Add onto this a hot interface
and you're all set.  Maybe even provide a way to automatically combine multitple
files.   (IE, with this program you would only need your transfer software
and that would be it.  No two different conversion programs, plus a text
editor just in case you needed to strip files)  Think about it, the
BINHEX/PackIt combination is *so* common, it would be very easy to
automate the process, even detecting if PackIting (is that a word) needed
to be done.

I was all ready to write this one, but was unable
to come up with formats for PackIt and BinHex (although that one I could
have figured out).  I'm not really in a position to write such a thing
now, but I would love to see someone do it.

>Brad Needham

  Tom Dowdy                 CSNET:    dowdy@apple.CSNET
  Apple Computer MS:27Y     AppleLink:DOWDY1
  20525 Mariani Ave         UUCP:     {sun,voder,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!dowdy
  Cupertino, CA 95014
  "IN VENICE STOP STREETS FILLED WITH WATER STOP PLEASE ADVISE STOP"

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (11/03/87)

In article <2103@tekig4.TEK.COM> bradn@tekig4.UUCP (Bradford Needham) writes:
>In article <7507@dartvax.UUCP> borscht@dartvax.UUCP (Andy J. Williams) writes:
>>Why stick with the inefficient?
>
>1) Binary transfer is complex enough as it is.  To download programs from
>the net, a user needs all of: Kermit (or similar), BinHex, and Packit (or
>UnPit).  StuffIt adds yet another protocol to the minimum set.  Why complicate
>matters?

Stuffit does not add to the minimum set, it replaces Packit.

>2) They are widely available.  How many times have you seen requests for
>BinHex on this newsgroup?  Remember all the confused and frustrated requests
>for Packit?  Why repeat that experience?

Stuffit is available on this net, Genie, Compuserve, and others.  How much
wider can you get?

>3) They are free.  BinHex4.0 and UnPit are free programs.  StuffIt is
>shareware (for the packer).  Why use a shareware program when a free one
>is available?

If the shareware program is much, much better, then it is worth it in both time
savings and thus money saved.

>4) They are stable.  BinHex4.0 and UnPit have been in use long enough to
>demonstrate that they work.  Why test a new program?

Stuffit is a not in beta test, it has gone through testing before release, it's
stable.

>To authors who would write yet another binary transfer protocol for the Mac:
>There are so many fantastically useful applications that haven't been written;
>why waste your creativity rewriting those that already exist?
>
>Brad Needham
>bradn@tekig4.TEK.COM

Packit is useful but far from fantastic. Stuffit is fantastic. It is not a
binary transfer protocol it is a file compacting program. Why innovate, why
improve things. I guess MicroSoft just wasted all their creativity rewriting
another wordprocessor!

Come on Brad, are you really that afraid of a little change, or imrovement?

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (11/04/87)

I couldn't have said it better myself!

	-Ted

tdn@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Thomas Newton) (11/04/87)

In article <32710@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>3) They are free.  BinHex4.0 and UnPit are free programs. . .
>
>Binhex 4.0 is shareware. If you copy isn't, someone illegally modified it.

Binhex 4.0 is NOT shareware.  All the versions of BinHex before 4.0 were free
and contained no advertisements.  BinHex 4.0 is also free, but displays an ad
for Mainstay on startup.  BinHex 5.0 IS shareware -- but who needs it?  Every
major Macintosh terminal program except MacKermit can deal with the MacBinary
format directly, and BinHex 4.0 is sufficient to handle everything else.

>Of course, Binhex doesn't matter. This is packit vs. Stuffit. Packit is
>shareware for both the packer and the unpacker. unpit takes care of this for
>the unpacker, but the packer is still in the same situation for both
>programs.

I don't want to get into the PackIt vs. StuffIt debate, but the current Mac
version of Unpit can produce both compressed and uncompressed PackIt files.
The current user interface does not allow one to compress only some of the
files being packed, but otherwise Unpit 0.3 has all of the functionality of
PackIt II.

                                        -- Thomas Newton

dtw@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Duane Williams) (11/04/87)

| >4) They are stable.  BinHex4.0 and UnPit have been in use long enough to
| >demonstrate that they work.  Why test a new program?
|
| Stuffit is a not in beta test, it has gone through testing before release,
| it's stable.

Actually, StuffIt is still under development and the latest version (1.13)
on GEnie crashes when you issue the "Generate report..." command.  A new
version that corrects this bug and adds some useful new features is due out
this weekend.

Duane Williams
dtw@cs.cmu.edu

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (11/04/87)

In article <2103@tekig4.TEK.COM>, bradn@tekig4.TEK.COM (Bradford Needham) writes:
> In article <7507@dartvax.UUCP> borscht@dartvax.UUCP (Andy J. Williams) writes:
> >Why stick with the inefficient?
>
> Efficiency is not the only feature of a transfer program.  I have several
> reasons to stick with the current (BinHex, UnPit) packers:
>
> 1) Binary transfer is complex enough as it is.  To download programs from
> the net, a user needs all of: Kermit (or similar), BinHex, and Packit (or
> UnPit).  StuffIt adds yet another protocol to the minimum set.  Why complicate
> matters?
No, the unloader needs StuffIt rather than PackIt now as it will unpack either.

> 2) They are widely available.  How many times have you seen requests for
> BinHex on this newsgroup?  Remember all the confused and frustrated requests
> for Packit?  Why repeat that experience?
If other networks are any indication, StuffIt is becoming far more used than
PackIt very quickly.

> 3) They are free.  BinHex4.0 and UnPit are free programs.  StuffIt is
> shareware (for the packer).  Why use a shareware program when a free one
> is available?
Unpit is free, but it was written by a generous person to duplicate PackIt's
capabilities for people on the net.  Someone could do the same for StuffIt.  The
author included enough info in the docs to make that task reasonable.  Besides,
Unpit is not that readily available (I don't have it, yet).

> 4) They are stable.  BinHex4.0 and UnPit have been in use long enough to
> demonstrate that they work.  Why test a new program?
If that's an argument then everyone should still be using MacWrite and MacPaint
rather than Word, WriteNow, FullPaint, and SuperPaint.  It's called progress.

> To authors who would write yet another binary transfer protocol for the Mac:
> There are so many fantastically useful applications that haven't been written;
> why waste your creativity rewriting those that already exist?

A file archiver did not yet exist!  StuffIt has a directory, you can add to and
delete files from existing archives, get a list of what's available, etc.
Besides, it even does a better job of compressing things.  What are some of
these "fantastically useful applications" as I'm having trouble coming up with
ideas for spare-time projects?  Everything I come up with is just an
evolutionary program, a better (?) way of doing something that some other
program already does.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
--------------------------
Disclaimer:  Above opinions are MINE.  Leave my employers out of it, I do.

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (11/04/87)

In article <4241@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) writes:
|I'm told my someone whose opinion I respect that StuffIt
|	a) is far superior in compression density (up to 3:1)
|	b) will be the standard for Compu$erve

It is standard on both Compuserve and Delphi.  Actually, they accept either
PackIt or StuffIt.

|	Joel West (c/o UCSD)

Jerry Whitnell                           It's a damn poor mind that can only
Communication Solutions, Inc.            think of one way to spell a word.
						-- Andrew Jackson

garth@swatsun (Garth Snyder) (11/05/87)

I am writing to throw in my two cents about stuffit.  First of all, I
think stuffit is beautifully executed and reliable.  There is no question
in my mind that it beats Packit hands down.

I really wish the author of stuffit had gone whole hog and included a
couple of other features.  These would not have been trivial, but would
have made stuffit a guaranteed smash shareware success.  To wit:

    1) It should subsume all the functions of Binhex 4.0.
    2) It should have complete (encryption, etc.) Packit compatibility.
    3) It should do DES encrption.
    4) It should be able to pack up <complete> folders.  It will pack all
       simple files in a given folder now, but should be able to do
       recursive folder packing.
    5) It's contents display window should have a neat-o way of dealing
       with #4, i.e. selectively show contents of folders.

Of these, #4 is the one that makes me drool the most.

If the author of stuffit wants to add these features or someone wants to
write yet another program that can handle this type of thing in as classy
a way as stuffit, I promise to buy it.

--------------------
Garth Snyder            UUCP: {seismo!bpa,rutgers!liberty}!swatsun!garth
Swarthmore College      ARPA: garth@boulder.colorado.edu
Swarthmore, PA 19081    ALSO: {hao,nbires}!boulder!garth
--------------------

ssegan@dasys1.UUCP (Sascha Segan) (11/05/87)

I've heard a bunch of people badmouthing StuffIt. I 'live' at Ray's home site,
and I've been talking to him. StuffIt is DOWNWARD COMPATIBLE, folks!
Pretty soon, if what I've heard is right, StuffIt will be the only program
you need. It CAN unpit PackIt files, and a version in the works(?,Ray?)
can unBinHex!
So, periodically, you post StuffIt to comp.binaries.mac, but even people
who DON't have it can pack with PackIt and StuffIt can unpack!
Sheesh.
----Sascha

--
Sascha I. Segan                   {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix          {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!ssegan!

raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) (11/05/87)

Thus far, I have avoided defending the positioning of StuffIt...and I will continue to do so.  But I'd just like to add a little note.

I do plan to add in a BinHex type command to the menus...  So that you can do everything in one prgm.  This won't satisfy those who want the ability to have integrated auto-.hqx'ing, but it will provide the next best thing.

That's it for now...

Raymond Lau                      {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!raylau
New York, NY, USA                               {sun}!hoptoad/
GEnie:RayLau   Delphi:RaymondLau   CIS:76174,2617
"Take it and StuffIt."

bono@dartvax.UUCP (Christopher North) (11/05/87)

Well it is time for me to add my opinion on Stuffit vs. Packit.
First of All...Packit too is shareware for the packer so it is
not a completely costless protocol.  Now what I don't understand
is why people are resisting a 'better' procedure.  Stuffit makes
files smaller.  That means a lot to many people.  To me ...it
means that I don't have to free up as much room on my communications
disk to do a download.  It also means that I can archive files on disks
and put a lot more  files on a disk.  AND...it means that files sent
over the .net are smaller and thus save money in transmission times.
Stuffit gets my vote.  Say yes to progress and no to old stuffies!

--
Chris North
Dartmouth College                    or                320 Mammoth Road

isle@dartvax.UUCP (Ken Hancock) (11/05/87)

In article <2103@tekig4.TEK.COM> bradn@tekig4.UUCP (Bradford Needham) writes:
>In article <7507@dartvax.UUCP> borscht@dartvax.UUCP (Andy J. Williams) writes:
>>Why stick with the inefficient?
>
>Efficiency is not the only feature of a transfer program.  I have several
>reasons to stick with the current (BinHex, UnPit) packers:
>
>1) Binary transfer is complex enough as it is.  To download programs from
>the net, a user needs all of: Kermit (or similar), BinHex, and Packit (or
>UnPit).  StuffIt adds yet another protocol to the minimum set.  Why complicate
>matters?

StuffIt does not add.  It replaces Packit.

>2) They are widely available.  How many times have you seen requests for
>BinHex on this newsgroup?  Remember all the confused and frustrated requests
>for Packit?  Why repeat that experience?

SuffIt will become widely available as more people use it.  Do you think
Packit appeared overnight?

>3) They are free.  BinHex4.0 and UnPit are free programs.  StuffIt is
>shareware (for the packer).  Why use a shareware program when a free one
>is available?

The author of StuffIt, I believe, has allowed StuffIt to be free for
unpacking.  Packing will cost you $15.  Come on, you have a job....

>4) They are stable.  BinHex4.0 and UnPit have been in use long enough to
>demonstrate that they work.  Why test a new program?

Why?  Frankly becuase unPit isn't so good.  It's better than nothing, as
most things go, but StuffIt is better.  It does a better job, AND,
it should save the net time and money.  Also, if you're a Compuserve,
GEnie, Source, etc. user, it saves you a LOT of money....

Ken

--
Ken Hancock      UUCP: isle@dartvax
               BITNET: isle@u2.dartmouth.edu

DISCLAIMER: If people weren't so sue-happy, I wouldn't need one!

pgn@usceast.UUCP (11/06/87)

Yes we want StuffIt to stuff folders!!!

c60b-ia@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (Sugih Jamin) (11/06/87)

Reminds me of a heated debate in comp.sys.ibm.pc some time ago,
it was between "arc" and "pkarc," or more specifically, between
"squashed" and "unsquashed" arc files.  There is always a big
inertia with changing the current standard, but I have been happy
with squashed archives as I am happy wiht the mac, as opposed to
the pc.

sugih jamin

robby@eiibank.UUCP (Robby Kates) (11/07/87)

In article <1895@dasys1.UUCP> ssegan@dasys1.UUCP (Sascha Segan) writes:

>I've heard a bunch of people badmouthing StuffIt. I 'live' at Ray's home site,
>and I've been talking to him. StuffIt is DOWNWARD COMPATIBLE, folks!
>Pretty soon, if what I've heard is right, StuffIt will be the only program
>you need. It CAN unpit PackIt files, and a version in the works(?,Ray?)
>can unBinHex!
>So, periodically, you post StuffIt to comp.binaries.mac, but even people
>who DON't have it can pack with PackIt and StuffIt can unpack!
>Sheesh.
>----Sascha
>
>--
>Sascha I. Segan                   {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
>Big Electric Cat Public Unix          {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!ssegan!
>New York, NY, USA            {hoptoad,bc-cis,aecom,orville,raspi}!/

   I too have been following this debate.  Frankly I've got this to say: smaller
volume of news to uucp is a good thing.  As system administrator at this site I
get pretty scared when I see how much news comes in every day.  Using StuffIt
is an ideal way of decreasing volume, simply because no news is lost, and space
is saved.  We have to pay (like real $$$) for the phone lines, and I expect that
StuffIt will pay for itself in phone bills (since there is the cost both of
getting the news in the feed and from downloading the files to the mac).

  Sascha (above) described how StuffIt is great functionally.  The other side
of the coin is the saved space and time, and that is quite valuable.  I will be
happy to mail copies of StuffIt to anyone who needs one, and ask people who
post to please use StuffIt to compress the files.  It will save us time and
money.

-Robby

--
Robby Kates				Beatrice Corporate Headquarters
...ihnp4!eiibank!robby			Chicago