[comp.sys.mac] mac 512ke upgrades

rwe@ecsvax.UUCP (Richard W. Etzel) (11/06/87)

 I need advice on available upgrades for my now obsolete 512KE.  Besides
 voiding my Applecare, what will a McSnap upgrade from Dove do for me?
 Any advantages/disadvantages over Apple's upgrade to a plus?  With 2megs
 of RAM can I use multifinder or hypercard?  I'm not a speed freak, but I
 don't want to get left behind in the Mac II shuffle.
 Please e-mail comments to Gwen, c/o mcnc!ecsvax!rwe

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (11/07/87)

> I need advice on available upgrades for my now obsolete 512KE.  Besides
> voiding my Applecare, what will a McSnap upgrade from Dove do for me?
> Any advantages/disadvantages over Apple's upgrade to a plus?  With 2megs
> of RAM can I use multifinder or hypercard?

As long as you remember to pull it before you send your Mac in for service,
the Dove upgrade won't screw up Applecare. It makes no modifications to the
motehr board.

With two megs, Hypercard runs just fine, thank you. As soon as I get my
fingers on Multifinder I'll tell you it runs in two megs, too.

Advantage of Dove over Apple upgrade: cost. You get two megs for the price
of one.

Disadvantages: you don't get those funny round serial ports. You aren't
'pure' apple. And occasionally the Dove can wiggle itself lose from the
connections because of heat expansion/contraction, if you get unlucky. This
is fixed by sticking it bakc on the motherboard again.

I like my dove.

chuq
---
Chuq "Fixed in 4.0" Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM	Delphi: CHUQ

keith@apple.UUCP (11/08/87)

In article <33297@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>> Any advantages/disadvantages over Apple's upgrade to a plus?  With 2megs
>> of RAM can I use multifinder or hypercard?
>
>With two megs, Hypercard runs just fine, thank you. As soon as I get my
>fingers on Multifinder I'll tell you it runs in two megs, too.

Runs like a champ. You can also run other programs like Word, AppleLink,
MacTerminal, etc., at the same time. Don't expect to be able to run MPW,
though; that blighter needs a meg of its own.
--

Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
Sales Technical Support                               pyramid!sun !apple!keith

Disclaimer: I read this board for fun, not profit. Anything I say is from the
            result of reading magazines, hacking, and soaking my head in acid.