[comp.sys.mac] An A/UX question...

buzz@phoenix.UUCP (11/03/87)

Does anyone know how to ls a floppy disk from A/UX?  I want to get information
on the files on a floppy, much as the finder does from the Mac OS.  I have
tried to mount the floppy, first by using mkfs and then mount, but it won't
mount.  I can't even get the Mac II to eject the floppy.  Any ideas?

Also, is there a way to launch Mac applications from A/UX??

Thank you in advance---Mahboud Zabetian
--
Mahboud Zabetian				buzz@phoenix.princeton.edu
183 Little Hall						(609) 520-1270

verber@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (11/04/87)

Try using diskformat rather than mkfs.  There is a utility which can
be used to read macintosh floppies.  I can't remember what it is
called off the top of my head.

You should check with your contact from Apple about this.  As far as I
know the current beta version of A/UX comes with the toolbox subset.
The program is called toolbox.

Cheers,
Computer Science Department			         Mark A. Verber
The Ohio State University			 verber@ohio-state.arpa
+1 (614) 292-7344				  cbosgd!osu-cis!verber

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (11/04/87)

In article <1039@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> buzz@phoenix (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:

>Does anyone know how to ls a floppy disk from A/UX?  I want to get information
>on the files on a floppy, much as the finder does from the Mac OS.  I have
	Presuming you've put a standard file system on it and
mounted it (see below) you treat it like any other unix directory.
	ls /floppy				# presumes you did what's below
>tried to mount the floppy, first by using mkfs and then mount, but it won't
	diskformat /dev/rfloppy0		# format
	mkfs /dev/rfloppy0 800			# install file system
	mkdir /floppy				# make mount point
	mount /dev/rfloppy0 /floppy		# make it available
has worked fine every time I've tried it.
>mount.  I can't even get the Mac II to eject the floppy.  Any ideas?
	eject 0					# floppy 0
	eject 1					# floppy 1

>Also, is there a way to launch Mac applications from A/UX??
	Yes.  Many Mac applications can be run from the A/UX filesystem
by uploading them using macget.  For instance:
	macget foo
	mv foo.data foo
	mv foo.rsrc foo.res
	launch foo

>Thank you in advance---Mahboud Zabetian
>--
>Mahboud Zabetian				buzz@phoenix.princeton.edu
>183 Little Hall						(609) 520-1270
>Princeton University					(609) 734-7760
>Princeton, NJ 08544				buzz@issun.princeton.edu

--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi
	dwb@apple.com                   973-5168@408.MaBell
Disclaimer: Apple doesn't even know I have an opinion and certainly
	wouldn't want if they did.

rpd@apple.UUCP (Rick Daley) (11/05/87)

In article <6622@apple.UUCP>, dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) writes:
> In article <1039@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> buzz@phoenix (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:
> >Also, is there a way to launch Mac applications from A/UX??
> 	Yes.  Many Mac applications can be run from the A/UX filesystem
> by uploading them using macget.  For instance:
> 	macget foo
> 	mv foo.data foo
> 	mv foo.rsrc foo.res
> 	launch foo

I can't let this go by without a comment.  The above scheme will ATTEMPT to
run a Macintosh binary from A/UX.  Most mac binaries won't run under A/UX.
There is an A/UX manual called something like "The A/UX Toolbox Guide" that
goes into great detail about what applications can do that will keep them
from working under A/UX.  In summary, the most common problem is a lack
of 32-bit cleanliness.  Most mac applications know that they are running
in a 24-bit address space and feel free to didle with high bits of addresses.
This won't work under A/UX, which uses the PMMU to provide a 32-bit address
space.  Future versions of the mac OS are also likely to use 32-bit addresses.
Anyway, we hope that developers will start cleaning up the applications
enough to make them A/UX friendly.  But in the meantime, don't be surprised
when your favorite mac applications don't run under A/UX.
						Rick Daley
						rpd@apple/UUCP

ps.  The above directions for running mac binaries are only good for A/UX
versions up to Beta 1.0.  After that, you need to use a program called rcnvt
to produce the new "AppleSingle" or "AppleDouble" format resource files.
Type: "man rcnvt" to get more information on this.

stew@endor.harvard.edu (Stew Rubenstein) (11/06/87)

In article <6635@apple.UUCP> rpd@apple.UUCP (Rick Daley) writes:
>There is an A/UX manual called something like "The A/UX Toolbox Guide" that
>goes into great detail about what applications can do that will keep them
>from working under A/UX.

How can a certified developer get a copy of that manual so that I
can try to write my applications in such a way that they WILL run
under A/UX?

Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC

han@apple.UUCP (Byron Han) (11/09/87)

In article <3117@husc6.UUCP> stew@endor.UUCP (Stew Rubenstein) writes:
>In article <6635@apple.UUCP> rpd@apple.UUCP (Rick Daley) writes:
>>There is an A/UX manual called "The A/UX Toolbox Guide" that goes into detail
>> about what applications do that keep them from working under A/UX.
>
>How can a certified developer get a copy of that manual so that I
>can write my applications in such a way that they WILL run under A/UX?

Well, some pointers on how to be good.

* Do not assume 24 bit addressing.  Do not stuff anything into the topmost
byte of a handle

* Do not used 68000 priviledge instructions.  A/UX Toolbox applications
run in user mode,

* Do not directly address hardware.

* Do not use low memory globals if at all possible.

Of course, many of these "restrictions" are actually good Macintosh programming
practices.  In general, do not make a lot of assumptions about the current
Macintosh programming model as it is subject to change, e.g. A/UX toolbox
access is a modification on the Macintosh programming model.  Applications that
make assumptions about the programming model (i.e. a lot of them) will break.

/*  NOTE: I am _NOT_ an Apple representative.  All statements and opinions  */
/* are my own and are _not_ to be construed as any official Apple position. */
/* Byron B. Han                 UUCP: {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!han */
/* Apple Computer, Inc.        CSNET: han@apple.csnet                       */
/* 20525 Mariani Ave MS 27Y    GENIE: BYRONHAN         CSERVE: 72167,1664   */
/* Cupertino, CA 95014        ATTNet: 408-973-6450  APPLELINK: HAN1         */