[comp.sys.mac] You've got to try DiskFit

jlc@atux01.UUCP (11/05/87)

I just purchased a copy of DiskFit v1.2 by SuperMac.  I tried it last night by
doing a complete backup of my harddisk (~8100K to be backed up).  I had done
a backup the day before and it had taken ~25 minutes and used 11 diskettes.
This had been using the HDBackup 1.0 that came with the system folder of my
PL30 Turbo HD.

Installing the DiskFit software required I have a 12th diskette for my backup,
but it was nice to find out that it will automatically format blank diskettes
when you use them for backups (however, the one I used was already formatted).

A complete backup using DiskFit (without doing a write verify) took 5 minutes
for all 12 diskettes!!  When I tried doing it again to check the time WITH a
write verify during the backup, the complete backup took 14 minutes.  With
the ease and speed of this package, I'll now do my backups daily (onstead of
semi-weekly like I used to).

I also called the people at SuperMac to ask them if this was their most current
version.  They said that it was, BUT they will be coming out with version 1.3
in another month or two, and one of the features it will have is that it will
allow you to run your backups IN THE BACKGROUND!

So if you're STILL using the HD backup software that came with your Mac, make
a small investment and get DiskFit.  You'll be glad you did.

					Jim Collymore

p.s.  Both MacWarehouse (1-800-255-6227) and MacConnection (1-800-622-5472)
      are currently selling DiskFit for ~$47.

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (11/09/87)

In article <572@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>version.  They said that it was, BUT they will be coming out with version 1.3
>in another month or two, and one of the features it will have is that it will
>allow you to run your backups IN THE BACKGROUND!

	DiskFit version 1.3 exists, and it's nice.

	Backup of a hard disk in the background isn't all it's cracked up
to be. Just about anything I do changes the contents of the hard disk, and
I personally don't think that it's good practice to try and back up
a moving target.

Still, I wouldn't use any other backup program.

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* Symantec, THINK Technologies Division.  (No snappy quote)         *