[comp.sys.mac] Beware of MultiFinder 1.0 About... Trick

norman@sdics.ucsd.EDU (Donald A. Norman) (11/09/87)

In article <1191@runx.ips.oz> clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) writes:

>If you have MultiFinder 1.0, hold down the Command and Option keys and
>select "About MultiFinder...".

UMM, beware.  Running multifinder 1.0 in 1 Mbyte. Big System, plus
Finder plus Versaterm plus Microsoft Word.  0K memory free.  Running
"rn" on a vax via Versater. I read the above comment so I immediately
try it (after all, that is waht multifinder is about).  I pop back to
the finder and try the trick: A Box appears on the screen saying
"The AboutBox.  A Ringewald/Goldman Production."

Freeze.  Dead computer.  Need to reboot.  Pain.

(After reboot, leaving out Microsoft word, I try again.  Interesting.)

Come on guys.  The freeze-up is most unprofessional.  This system,
like many on this machine, is simply not quite at the professional
level yet.  I do not have to reboot my Sun or Vax everytime I run out
of memory on a job.  On the Macintosh, rebooting is a way of life.
Still an amateur production.  Mutifinder moves the system into the
world-class leagues, but it still needs some more work.

(Don't tell me I need more memory. Of course I do: it is on order.)

don norman

Donald A. Norman
Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
University of California, San Diego