[comp.sys.mac] Anyone seen SHOWInit???

hunt@firqb.dec.com.UUCP (10/31/87)

Hello all...

Has anyone seen SHOWInit yet???   It is an INIT that displays the INITS icons
as they run on startup...  If not showinit, I seem to remember something
similar posted about 6 months ago...

Anyideas????

Phil Hunt

kateley@apple.UUCP (Jim Kateley) (10/31/87)

In article <12020@decwrl.DEC.COM> hunt@firqb.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:

>Has anyone seen SHOWInit yet???   It is an INIT that displays the INITS icons
                 ^^^^^^^^

I believe this was written by Paul Mercer, the author of scrapsaver, programmers
key, and SCSIbus.  I don't have the source, but he may be able to let you know
how to get it.  The address he put on SCSIbus is:

P. Mercer
681 East Seneca Tpk. #A4
Syracuse, NY 13205
(315) 492-3348

--

Jim Kateley
Applelink: kateley1

Disclaimer:   What I say, think, or smell does not reflect any policy or
	      stray thought by Apple Computer, Inc.

Remember:
When you smile :-), the world smiles with you,
When you frown :-(, the : and - keys think they are getting picked on

borton@net1.ucsd.edu (Chris Borton) (11/02/87)

In article <6592@apple.UUCP> kateley@apple.UUCP (Jim Kateley) writes:
>In article <12020@decwrl.DEC.COM> hunt@firqb.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>>Has anyone seen SHOWInit yet???   It is an INIT that displays the INITS icons
>
>I believe this was written by Paul Mercer,the author of scrapsaver,programmer's
>key, and SCSIbus.
>
>P. Mercer
>681 East Seneca Tpk. #A4
>Syracuse, NY 13205
>(315) 492-3348

In the notes for the Programmer's Key INIT it says:

"The code to display the icon at boot time for both TMON and Programmer's key
is called ShowINIT and is in the public domain and available from Paul Mercer
directly.  If you'd like to use it in your INIT, please drop Paul a note."

The above address/phone# is listed, and also

Delphi: LOGICHACK
AppleLink: D0131
MCI: SOL

In case you don't know what Programmer's Key is, the INIT allows ADB keyboards
to use the 'Power On' key (for the Mac II) with various cntl-shift-cmd-opt
combinations to generate trap signals (like hitting the Programmer's switch),
Restart and _ShutDown like the Finder, and Reboot (like the button).  This
works fine with both the SE and the II.

I find it very useful and would post it, but it is presented as a bonus to TMON
owners so I don't think it's publicly distributable.  If anyone proves that
different I'll be happy to post it (it's small, too).

-cbb
Chris "Johann" Borton, UC San Diego	...!sdcsvax!net1!borton
					borton@net1.ucsd.edu
"Letztes Jahr in Deutschland, noch ein Jahr hier, en dan naar het Nederland!

dhac@ur-tut.UUCP (Darren Jay Hacker) (11/02/87)

[PLEASE... Do not annoy or FEED the Line Eaters. Thank You --Bronx Zoo]

>In the notes for the Programmer's Key INIT it says:
>"The code to display the icon at boot time for both TMON and Programmer's key
>is called ShowINIT and is in the public domain and available from Paul Mercer
>directly.  If you'd like to use it in your INIT, please drop Paul a note."
>In case you don't know what Programmer's Key is, the INIT allows ADB keyboards
>to use the 'Power On' key (for the Mac II) with various cntl-shift-cmd-opt
>combinations to generate trap signals (like hitting the Programmer's switch),
>Restart and _ShutDown like the Finder, and Reboot (like the button).  This
>works fine with both the SE and the II.
>I find it very useful and would post it, but it is presented as a bonus to TMON
>owners so I don't think it's publicly distributable.  If anyone proves that
>different I'll be happy to post it (it's small, too).
>Chris "Johann" Borton, UC San Diego	...!sdcsvax!net1!borton
>					borton@net1.ucsd.edu

I would like to express my interest in a posting of the above mentioned
items.  I would like very much to be able to reset my SE from the keyboard,
if possible.  I have an extended keyboard (I don't know if that matters here)
and the Reset key (i.e., the " <| " key) seems to be the only "functionless"
key here.  I have tried to read its event value (as a "modifier" or as a
regular key) and have had no success.

Please post or e-mail Programmer's Key and, if anybody has specific infor-
mation as to how to trap the Reset/Power_On key, would they do the same?
Thank you all in advance.

DJ Hacker

Darren Jay Hacker	  Internet: dhac@tut.cc.rochester.edu
"The fault, dear Brutus,      UUCP: dhac@ur-tut.UUCP		    \ / ,|.
 is not in our stars,	       (or) ...{ames,cmcl2,decvax,rutgers}   X ( | )
 but in our software		       !rochester!ur-tut!dhac	    / \ `|'

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (11/05/87)

In article <6592@apple.UUCP> kateley@apple.UUCP (Jim Kateley) writes:
>In article <12020@decwrl.DEC.COM> hunt@firqb.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>>
>>Has anyone seen SHOWInit yet???   It is an INIT that displays the INITS icons
>                 ^^^^^^^^
>I believe this was written by Paul Mercer, the author of scrapsaver, programmers
>key, and SCSIbus.  I don't have the source, but he may be able to let you know
>how to get it.  The address he put on SCSIbus is:
>P. Mercer
>681 East Seneca Tpk. #A4
>Syracuse, NY 13205
>(315) 492-3348

I know that Don Brown of CE Software is also working on one, though I don't
know it it'll be shareware or not.  It's labeled AAinit (it needs to be
called first), and if you hold down the space bar on boot-up, it puts up a
screen with pictures of the INIT icons on it.  You can then "X" out the
icons if you don't want them to be loaded at boot-up (either for this
boot-up only or until you un-X them manually).

A VERY nice INIT, in this age of prolific INITs.

                           "I'll tell you what I want, I want someone who is
                            so beautiful that when you see her you say,
                            'Wow, that Humperdinck must be some kind of
                            fella to have a wife like that.'"
                                    -- William Goldman / S. Morgenstern,
                                       _The_Princess_Bride_

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (11/09/87)

In article <2181@sputnik.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>In article <6592@apple.UUCP> kateley@apple.UUCP (Jim Kateley) writes:
>>In article <12020@decwrl.DEC.COM> hunt@firqb.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>>>Has anyone seen SHOWInit yet???   It is an INIT that displays the INITS icons

|I know that Don Brown of CE Software is also working on one, though I don't
|know it it'll be shareware or not.  It's labeled AAinit (it needs to be
|called first), and if you hold down the space bar on boot-up, it puts up a
|screen with pictures of the INIT icons on it.  You can then "X" out the
|icons if you don't want them to be loaded at boot-up (either for this
|boot-up only or until you un-X them manually).
|

|A VERY nice INIT, in this age of prolific INITs.

Perhaps this is a good time for a new system software request!

With all of the INITs, CDEVs, ..., ..., ..., my System Folder is started to
get CROWDED.
Why can't we start having subfolders to (optionally) house these sort of
things?  Such as: Init Folder, CDEV Folder, ...

It can't bee too hard to do.
It might be confusing for neophytes, but if it's optional, they won't have to
worry about it.
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."