[comp.sys.mac] Suitcase failure...

mason@hillst.dec.com (Explaining is not understanding) (11/05/87)

I can't get Suitcase to work any more!

Running 4.1/5.5 on a 512KE w/2MB, MacBottom serial with 2.91 SW.
This was my standard case.  Steve Brecher talked to me and we finally found
that Suitcase had to be in the System Folder on the startup disk,
and in the root on the HD for it to work.  Fine (for a month).  Last night
I had a problem related to my keyboard cable, and blew the startup disk.
I rebuilt it from the archived original, and now, no matter what I do, it
blows with a System 03 (when transferring to the HD, I think).  The fix
is to take Suitcase out of the System Folder on the startup - all works
fine then, except that I don't have the use of Suitcase (a fate worse than
death after you have used it for awhile).

Anyone have any ideas?  For example, I moved new system and finder files
from my original Hypercard disks, just to be sure I had a 'real' copy.
I placed the same files on both disks, just for consistency.  I did nothing
with the '4.0 BootBlocks' file.  Should I have??

Help, please.  Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks...Gary

mason@hillst.dec.com (Explaining is not understanding) (11/06/87)

Well, boot blocks and time did solve most of the problems.  I finally
recopied all system/finder files on both disks, ran the 4.0 Boot Blocks
program on both disks, reallocated the Suitcase fils as specified, and
after three cycles of reboot/fail (with no intervening changes), the
system is now back to normal.  Almost...the MB software no longer shows
the "Turning on MacBottom..." message in the startup dialog box.  If that
is all that remains wrong (and about 6 hours of running indicate that), I
am happy.  Strange world, software.

Gary

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (11/09/87)

In article <12093@decwrl.DEC.COM> mason@hillst.dec.com (Explaining is not understanding) writes:
>I can't get Suitcase to work any more!
>
>Running 4.1/5.5 on a 512KE w/2MB, MacBottom serial with 2.91 SW.
>I rebuilt it from the archived original, and now, no matter what I do, it
>blows with a System 03 (when transferring to the HD, I think).  The fix
>is to take Suitcase out of the System Folder on the startup - all works
>fine then, except that I don't have the use of Suitcase (a fate worse than
>death after you have used it for awhile).

I experienced a similar problem. I had repaired a Mac Plus for someone (I
had to re-install an E-Machines Big Picture video interface clip-on board -
a horrible kludge, and the subject of another message). I returned the Mac
to them, they connected it up, and the Mac would crash with ID=03. They
checked the obvious things like cabling, replaced the System file (with
no effect) and then called me. I had them gradually remove every INIT in
the System Folder until we found out that Suitcase was the problem. After
talking to Brecher and to E-Machines, no one could figure out why it wouldn't
work. Then, a friend of mine who was there got the bright idea to shut down
the mac and take out the battery (to zap the parameter RAM). After he did
this, and reset the PRAM with a boot floppy, Suitcase worked just fine.

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.
hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen