[comp.sys.mac] Epstart & screen-savers

emuroga@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (11/05/87)

    Has anyone heard of a program called Epstart? From what I understand
it allows using Epson printers with a mac. Any experience or more info-
mation on this?

    Also, has anyone found a screen-saver DA that will work on the Mac II?
I have tried zoomidle (only runs in corner of screen) and stars 1.6 (bomb)
with no luck.

Eisuke Muroga
University of Illinois

ARPA		emuroga@b.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET		emuroga@uiuc.csnet
USENET		uiucdcsb!emuroga

cm450s02@uhccux.UUCP (jeff t. segawa) (11/07/87)

In article <164500068@uiucdcsb> emuroga@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>    Has anyone heard of a program called Epstart? From what I understand
>it allows using Epson printers with a mac. Any experience or more info-
>mation on this?
>
>    Also, has anyone found a screen-saver DA that will work on the Mac II?
>I have tried zoomidle (only runs in corner of screen) and stars 1.6 (bomb)
>with no luck.

Don't know about Epstart, but I've used JetStart, which is similar, but
made for the HP ThinkJet printer. It works OK, but the installation
program that comes with it is copy protected. I think you need version
2.5 (or whatever's current), because older versions don't work with
Chooser. JetStart worked OK with the Mac II, also.
As far as screen savers go, the Moving Lines FKey works just fine, but
it's not automatic. Best one I've seen so far is Pyro!, which comes
bundled with Suitcase.

techserv@kran.UUCP (11/09/87)

I work for Purdue Univ. and a prof. bought a copy of Epstart for his
Epson. This printer had an old serial port attachment in it but
he didn't use it much. The program seemed to work fine but gagged
on the serial port. If you have a serial Epson, You can probably
use Epstart. It has several drivers for different models of printers
The printer was on a Mac + also. I hope this has helped you some.
I am new to the News.
                                   Brian Pierson

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (11/09/87)

In article <164500068@uiucdcsb> emuroga@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>    Also, has anyone found a screen-saver DA that will work on the Mac II?
>I have tried zoomidle (only runs in corner of screen) and stars 1.6 (bomb)
>with no luck.

Stars II works fine on the II. ZoomIdle 1.1 should work fine on the II, as it
no longer hard-codes the screen size (ZoomIdle 1.1 has worked on every large
screen I have tried it on so far, but I don't have a Mac II handy to test it
on... :-(

>Eisuke Muroga
>University of Illinois
>
>ARPA		emuroga@b.cs.uiuc.edu
>CSNET		emuroga@uiuc.csnet
>USENET		uiucdcsb!emuroga

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.
hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen

ir353@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (Matthew Grayson) (11/10/87)

Stars 1.8 works fine on a single screen Mac II in 1bit/pixel
mode. That may sound restrictive, but I'm in 2 color 95% of the
time (color output anyone?) and single screen 100% of the time.
I believe and hope that a newer and more amazing version is in
the works.

	Matt (sdcc6!ir353@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu)