[comp.sys.mac] Teltnuag ][a parts 5 and 6

cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) (11/02/87)

Speaking of teltnuag (cute name, though shomewhat backward ;-) has any is to
run on their system? I tried both 3.2 and 4.1 systems on a mac plus and it
bombed both times. What gives? Before it  bombs I got a
message like "number of levels truncated".

Chris Christensen

seth@CS.UCLA.EDU (11/03/87)

In article <870024@hpcilzb.HP.COM> cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) writes:
>Speaking of teltnuag (cute name, though shomewhat backward ;-) has any is to
>run on their system? I tried both 3.2 and 4.1 systems on a mac plus and it
>bombed both times. What gives? Before it  bombs I got a
>message like "number of levels truncated".
>
>Chris Christensen

There are two problems with getting Teltnuag to run.  First of all, the
documentation interchanged the terms HFS and MFS.  Teltnuag only runs under
MFS (let's join the 20th century shall we?).  Create an MFS disk and put
all the files on it.  Now you can run the program.  There is another bug,
though.  If the volume is turned all the way off (0), then the program
skips the opening music sequence and dies.  The fix is to set the volume
to some other level.  All in all it's a cute program (similar to one of
the arcade multi-player games that are all the rage) but a tad slow.

						Seth Goldman

ARPA:   seth@CS.UCLA.EDU
UUCP:   ...!{ihnp4,cepu,trwspp,sdcrdcf,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!seth
USMail: A.I. Lab, 3531 Boelter Hall, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA  90024
MaBell: (213) 825-5199

erik@hpsadla.HP (Erik Kilk) (11/03/87)

It bombed everytime I launched it also.  I threw it in the trash until a
fixed version arrives.

rock%warp@Sun.COM (Bill Petro - Program Management Office) (11/03/87)

In article <870024@hpcilzb.HP.COM> cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) writes:
>Speaking of teltnuag (cute name, though shomewhat backward ;-) has any is to
>run on their system? I tried both 3.2 and 4.1 systems on a mac plus and it
>bombed both times. What gives? Before it  bombs I got a
>message like "number of levels truncated".
>
>Chris Christensen

Make sure that the program is at the root level.  That means put it on the
desktop, not in any folders.  The "Readme" file talks about this.

{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun!warp!rock  Bill Petro

bytebug@felix.UUCP (Roger L. Long) (11/04/87)

In article <870024@hpcilzb.HP.COM> Chris Christensen writes:
>Speaking of teltnuag (cute name, though shomewhat backward ;-) has any is to
>run on their system? I tried both 3.2 and 4.1 systems on a mac plus and it
>bombed both times. What gives? Before it  bombs I got a
>message like "number of levels truncated".

Make sure you heed the warning about not putting Teltnuag into a folder.
A silly restriction, but my copy seemed to run once I moved everything to
the top level.
--
	Roger L. Long
	FileNet Corp

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (11/04/87)

In article <870024@hpcilzb.HP.COM> cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) writes:
>Speaking of teltnuag (cute name, though shomewhat backward ;-) has any is to
>run on their system? I tried both 3.2 and 4.1 systems on a mac plus and it
>bombed both times. What gives? Before it  bombs I got a
>message like "number of levels truncated".
>
>Chris Christensen

    your First problem is that Teltnuag has to be in the root directory of the
disk it is being run from, including all its files.
    As for your second problem I don't know what's wrong there. it won't run on
mine either.
   PIerce Wetter
Tonight's the night: Sleep in a eucalyptus tree.

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu

wiechman@athos.rutgers.edu (Wiechman) (11/04/87)

In article <870024@hpcilzb.HP.COM> cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) writes:

> Speaking of teltnuag (cute name, though shomewhat backward ;-) has any is to
> run on their system? I tried both 3.2 and 4.1 systems on a mac plus and it
> bombed both times. What gives? Before it  bombs I got a
> message like "number of levels truncated".
>
> Chris Christensen

As the creator of Teltnuag, I am reasonably certain about what the
problem is:

Teltnuag must be at the root level of the disk, i.e., when the you
first open the disk you should better see the following icons:
Teltnuag and Room.1 => Room.7.  This was documented in the README file
in section 4.0 "Getting Started".

What is happening should be happening once since it cannot even find
Room.1.

NOTE: Any of the other files are also expected to here as well: Hall
of Fame and Max Room, or they will be recreated.  The other files
named Room.1.txt and so on need not be here, store them in a folder
somewhere in case you decide to create your own levels.

If you still have problems, email.

Kevin

jteh@mulga.oz (J.T. Teh) (11/04/87)

In article <870024@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) writes:
> Speaking of teltnuag (cute name, though shomewhat backward ;-) has any is to
> run on their system? I tried both 3.2 and 4.1 systems on a mac plus and it
> bombed both times. What gives? Before it  bombs I got a
> message like "number of levels truncated".
>
> Chris Christensen

In the manual, it said you must put all the relevent stuff in the root (top
directory). Perhaps that's the reason why it crashes. It works for me with
System 3.2, Finder 5.3 with the Telnaug stuff in another disk (at root).

---------------------------
J.T Teh
"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
							- James Elliot
===========================
UUCP:	{seismo,mcvax,ukc,ubc-vision}!mulga!jteh
ARPA:	jteh%mulga.oz@seismo.css.gov
CSNET:	jteh%mulga.oz@australia

yossie@taux01.UUCP (Yossie Silverman ) (11/04/87)

Part 6 arrived at my node missing a few lines at the end.  Could some kind
soul send it to me?  Thanks - Yossie
--
Yossie Silverman                                   What did the Caspian sea?
National Semiconductor Ltd. (Israel)				- Saki

howard@cpocd2.UUCP (11/04/87)

In article <870024@hpcilzb.HP.COM> cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) writes:
>Speaking of teltnuag (cute name, though shomewhat backward ;-) has any is to
>run on their system? I tried both 3.2 and 4.1 systems on a mac plus and it
>bombed both times. What gives? Before it  bombs I got a
>message like "number of levels truncated".

Teltnuag will work under 3.2, *BUT* you need to have the program and all its
files at the top level of some disk.  As it says in the documentation,
Teltnuag will not run from inside a folder.  Pretty brain-damaged, but
"there it is".

I finally moved everything to a floppy and run it there.  Good thing I have
2 floppy drives, 'cause I need the other one to boot 3.2.

I have not yet been able to get it to run under 4.anything.  Turning off
the RAM cache doesn't help.  I haven't tried page_2_saver yet.

HINTS ON PLAYING THE GAME:
(1) Move quickly.
(2) Destroy generators first, pick up goodies next, and you don't need to kill
    absolutely everything (just leave).
(3) The levels are the same each time.  Memorize them.
(4) Don't be afraid to use lanterns.  It's better than dying.  On the other
    hand don't waste them going over territory you've already explored.

--
	Howard A. Landman
	{oliveb,hplabs}!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!howard

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (11/04/87)

In article <148@athos.rutgers.edu> wiechman@athos.rutgers.edu (Wiechman) writes:
>In article <870024@hpcilzb.HP.COM> cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) writes:
>As the creator of Teltnuag, I am reasonably certain about what the
>problem is:
>
>Teltnuag must be at the root level of the disk, i.e., when the you
>first open the disk you should better see the following icons:
>Teltnuag and Room.1 => Room.7.  This was documented in the README file
>in section 4.0 "Getting Started".
	Seems like an unreasonable restriction.  In most developement
systems I've worked with you'd have to go through some effort to impose
it.  PBOpen/Open will both accept a volume of 0 and look in the current
folder.  fopen normally works relative to the current folder.
	This almost makes the game unplayable.  I certainly don't want
all those files sitting at the outer level of my hard disk, and I don't
want to drag them back and forth.  Too bad, it does sound like fun.

>What is happening should be happening once since it cannot even find
>Room.1.
	Hmm...  Would you mind justifing a crash in a situation you've
already detected.  You've already figured out there aren't as many rooms
or files or whatever, yet you don't terminate the program, you let it
get an address error, possibly scrambling other things on the way.  Not
at all friendly, especially to users of hard disks or multifinder/switcher.

--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

holmes@dalcs.UUCP (Ray Holmes) (11/05/87)

In article <870024@hpcilzb.HP.COM> cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) writes:
>Speaking of teltnuag (cute name, though shomewhat backward ;-) has any is to
>run on their system? I tried both 3.2 and 4.1 systems on a mac plus and it
>bombed both times. What gives? Before it  bombs I got a
>message like "number of levels truncated".
>
>Chris Christensen

Read the instructions.  Teltnuag will give that message and then bomb if
it is not installed at the root level of the disk it is on (which must be
HFS).  It can't seem to find macintalk if it is also not in the same place.

Ray

[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]and yas

mccarthy@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (11/05/87)

 Hi there.

     I have yet another comment about Teltnuag to add to this list...  I
can get it running, and in fact it's rather fun once you get the lantern,
but only the last copy I make seems to work!  Whenever I make a copy (to,
say, make backups or install on a hard disk), the original gets the
"room" error someone mentioned before, and about 3/4 of the time, la bomba
right after I click the "OK" box for the error.  The copy I just made,
however, works perfectly.  This is a pretty cool copy-protection feature,
if it's intentional, but if it's shareware like it says it is, it seems
like just a bug.
     Does anyone else get this?  How can I get around it?  I know I can
always go back and un-BinHex etc. the original file for every copy I
need but that's soooooooo much trouble.  :-)
_____
D. J. McCarthy

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (11/07/87)

In article <870024@hpcilzb.HP.COM> cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) writes:
>Speaking of teltnuag (cute name, though shomewhat backward ;-) has any is to
>run on their system? I tried both 3.2 and 4.1 systems on a mac plus and it
>bombed both times. What gives? Before it  bombs I got a
>message like "number of levels truncated".
>
>Chris Christensen

Chris,
	Make sure all the Teltnuag (I guess the author did the reversal because
	of that great game from Atari called Gauntlet) files are at root level.

	Everytime I tried to move them into a folder, it crashes as you
	described. So, the author needs to become acquainted with HFS.

Jason Haines, President

Club Mac Macintosh Users Group, Sydney, Australia
Phone Home: +61-02-73-4444
Snail:      Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
ACSnet:     clubmac@runx.ips.oz	   ARPA:   clubmac%runx.ips.oz@uunet.css.gov
UUCP:{enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,uunet,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.ips.oz!clubmac

cnc@hpcilzb.UUCP (11/10/87)

Boy, you fail to read one document and you get 15 responses letting you know
that you have been stupid before a large audience ;-)

Chris Christensen

P.S. please stop posting responses to "why teltnuag won't work". I get the idea.

Chris Christensen