[comp.sys.mac] Red Ryder _10.2_ is on Genie NOW!!

UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Eric H. Romo) (10/18/87)

Yes, it's true the newest version of Red Ryder is NOW  available on GEnie in
the FreeSoft RT.

As to an "unresponsive" Scott Watson-- I was similarly unimpressed with his
lack of response to some messages. BUT the situation has improved
_SIGNIFICANTLY_, SWATSON regularly responds(at least weekly) to postings of BUG
Reports, and more immediate support is received from the other FreeSoft
sysops and other RT experts on RR. And if you registered for RR9.4 before
RR10 came out, then your cost for version 10 is $20, _NOT_ $40!!! And further
upgrades are free by simply downloading them from GEnie. And that's the truth,
-------

ERIC H. ROMO
<UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET>
CHEMISTRY DEPT. UNIV. OF NORTH DAKOTA
GRAND FORKS, N.D.

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (10/21/87)

In article <377UD069225@NDSUVM1>, UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Eric H. Romo) writes:
> Yes, it's true the newest version of Red Ryder is NOW  available on GEnie in
> the FreeSoft RT.
>
> As to an "unresponsive" Scott Watson-- I was similarly unimpressed with his
> lack of response to some messages. BUT the situation has improved
> _SIGNIFICANTLY_, SWATSON regularly responds(at least weekly) to postings of BUG
> Reports, and more immediate support is received from the other FreeSoft
> sysops and other RT experts on RR. And if you registered for RR9.4 before
> RR10 came out, then your cost for version 10 is $20, _NOT_ $40!!! And further
> upgrades are free by simply downloading them from GEnie. And that's the truth,
> -------
Umm...  Ignorance reigns supreme in this post:

I guess only the people who purchase the non-share ware RR 10 are validated
for this, right?  Or are these patches?

Don't get me wrong, but if the RR 10.2, etc. are on Genie waiting for
anyone to download, I'll be there in a second!  (Assuming, of course, he's
taken the "shareware" announcement off of the front of it.  If it's
copyrighted with all rights held and on GEnie, it's GEnie's wrongdoing, not
ignorant ol' mine's...)

					With grins,
					--chris

syap@ur-tut.UUCP (James Fitzwilliam) (10/22/87)

Friend of mine is a GEnie-ite and an RR devotee, and from the way he all but
died of amazement at the recent appearance of 10.2, I would say that it is a
real, self-sufficient, wholeheartedly downloadable animal. I am tempted to
give into a long consideration of subscribing myself...

As for pricing or shareware-ness, nobody I have asked is sure -- and I might
just want to _buy_ this thing! -- but the above friend said that regardless of
policy he was going to send Scott Watson large amounts of money ASAP for an
apparently superior product. (There's enthusiasm!)

						James

Disclaimer: It's probably the caffeine.

arpa: syap@tut.cc.rochester.edu
uucp: rochester!ur-tut!syap

pgn@usceast.UUCP (Paul Nevai) (10/28/87)

In article <297@ur-tut.UUCP> syap@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP (James Fitzwilliam) writes:
>Friend of mine is a GEnie-ite and an RR devotee, and from the way he all but
>died of amazement at the recent appearance of 10.2, I would say that it is a
>real, self-sufficient, wholeheartedly downloadable animal. I am tempted to
>give into a long consideration of subscribing myself...

Red Ryder 10.0 (and 10.2) are great! But without the manual you can't really use
all the features, so go and buy it! I sound as if I had some financial interest,
don't I? I'm just a super satisfied customer.

Usual Disclaimer.

Paul Nevai                                N410106@univscvm.BITNET (PREFERRED)
Carolina Research Professor               .../!wright/!usceast/!pgn (UUCP)
Department of Mathematics                 pgn@cs.scarolina.edu.CSNET
University of South Carolina              73057,172.Compu$erve
Columbia, S.C. 29208                      1-(803)-777-3776.office
U.S.A.                                    1-(803)-777-4226.secy

netoprdc@ncsuvm.bitnet.UUCP (10/29/87)

Ok, if RedRyder 10.2 is so great, i wonder if Scott Watson would object
to someone posting it on the net.  I would download it from GEnie, but i
am low on $ and I don't have much time this month. (i use GEnie once a blue
moon.)
Personally speaking, if I think it's better that 9.4, i will pay for it.
If I don't, i'll trash it.  Kermit and other free comm packages suit my
needs just fine.  True, Xmodem protocol is definitely faster than
Kermit, but Kermit isn't bogged down with "bells and whistles".  I would
probably feel differently if I had a modem and needed an autodialer.
But I hook up to the multiplexer and use the campus' modem to dial out.
so all i really need is a good terminal emulator that supports Kermit.
so if Red 10.2 is so great, why not post it and make the author rich?

if it's on GEnie, why can't it be on here?  Could someone post it please?
think of those who have no GEnie accts.

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (10/29/87)

In article <218NETOPRDC@NCSUVM> NETOPRDC@NCSUVM.BITNET (Daniel Carr) writes:
>Ok, if RedRyder 10.2 is so great, i wonder if Scott Watson would object
>to someone posting it on the net.  I would download it from GEnie, but i
>am low on $ and I don't have much time this month. (i use GEnie once a blue
>moon.)

  I think people are confused on this issue. I believe that, when people say
that "Red Ryder 10.x is on GEnie NOW!" they are referring to the fact that it
is available to download in the FreeSoft RT section ONLY. This section is open
only to those who have previously registered Red Ryder. Red Ryder 10.x is not
a public domain or shareware program, so I hope that no one posts it to the
nets, or I am sure that Mr. Watson will object, rather strongly I suspect.

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.
hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (10/29/87)

In article <218NETOPRDC@NCSUVM> NETOPRDC@NCSUVM.BITNET (Daniel Carr) writes:
>Ok, if RedRyder 10.2 is so great, i wonder if Scott Watson would object
>to someone posting it on the net.  I would download it from GEnie, but i
>am low on $ and I don't have much time this month. (i use GEnie once a blue
>moon.)

Yes, he would. 10.2 is a commercial product, and to get into the SIG that it
is posted on you have to be a registered user. Just posting it to this
network defeats that.

>Personally speaking, if I think it's better that 9.4, i will pay for it.
>If I don't, i'll trash it.

Red Ryder is no longer a shareware package as of 10.0. You don't get this
option anymore. If more people had paid for their shareware versions, Watson
might not have had to make this decision....

chuq
---
Chuq "Fixed in 4.0" Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM	Delphi: CHUQ

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (10/30/87)

In article <218NETOPRDC@NCSUVM>, NETOPRDC@NCSUVM.BITNET (Daniel Carr) writes:
> Personally speaking, if I think it's better that 9.4, i will pay for it.
> If I don't, i'll trash it.  Kermit and other free comm packages suit my
> needs just fine.  True, Xmodem protocol is definitely faster than
> Kermit, but Kermit isn't bogged down with "bells and whistles".  I would
   I question whether Xmodem is faster than Kermit. Kermit has been
extended to allow for long packets (up to 9K in size I believe). I've
been using VersaTerm 3.1 which can use the long packets and the performance
at 9600 baud with 1024 byte packets is approximately 2X that of standard
Kermit. Binaries may be a different story but we don't have 8 bit lines
so we can't use XMODEM anyway.

David Gelphman

raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) (11/01/87)

Well, while we're on the subject of Red Ryder....we're up to 10.3!

Raymond Lau                      {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!raylau
New York, NY, USA                               {sun}!hoptoad/
GEnie:RayLau   Delphi:RaymondLau   CIS:76174,2617
"Take it and StuffIt."

tdn@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU.UUCP (11/02/87)

In article <218NETOPRDC@NCSUVM> NETOPRDC@NCSUVM.BITNET (Daniel Carr) writes:
>Ok, if RedRyder 10.2 is so great, i wonder if Scott Watson would object
>to someone posting it on the net.  I would download it from GEnie, but i
>am low on $ and I don't have much time this month . . .
>
>so if Red 10.2 is so great, why not post it and make the author rich?
>
>if it's on GEnie, why can't it be on here?  Could someone post it please?
>think of those who have no GEnie accts.

As far as I know, it is only available in the Red Ryder Roundtable -- which can
only be accessed by those who have already paid for Red Ryder.  I believe Scott
Watson wrote something in the file description to the effect that if it got out
into the hands of unregistered users that he would pull it from GEnie and would
force registered users to buy the upgrade commercially from FreeSoft.  My guess
is that he still intends to have new RR users buy 10.2 commercially for $80.00.

                                        -- Thomas Newton

In article <32335@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>In article <218NETOPRDC@NCSUVM> NETOPRDC@NCSUVM.BITNET (Daniel Carr) writes:
>Yes, he would. 10.2 is a commercial product, and to get into the SIG that it
>is posted on you have to be a registered user. Just posting it to this
>network defeats that.
>
>>Personally speaking, if I think it's better that 9.4, i will pay for it.
>>If I don't, i'll trash it.
>
>Red Ryder is no longer a shareware package as of 10.0. You don't get this
>option anymore. If more people had paid for their shareware versions, Watson
>might not have had to make this decision....
>
>chuq

It is my impression that Scott Watson has done quite well by the shareware
versions of Red Ryder.  His boast that Red Ryder had outsold all the other
Macintosh terminal programs combined with the strong sales MacTerminal has
enjoyed, Watson's low advertising/distribution costs, and magazines giving
Red Ryder as an example of successful shareware do not add up to a lack of
paying users forcing him to make the product commercial.

I think the real reason that he took Red Ryder commercial is that he thinks
he can make even more money by doubling its price, now that he has $$$ from
shareware fees to finance the startup period of a "real" commercial product.
In fact, Watson made comments on the Freesoft roundtable to the effect that
he thinks shareware is a great way to raise startup capital!  It's a slight
miracle that Red Ryder 10.2 can be downloaded from the FreeSoft roundtable;
the comments that he and other Freesoft Roundtable operators made when 10.0
was announced sounded pretty mercenary (like claiming that the promises Red
Ryder manuals and registration forms made are not really legally binding on
Freesoft/Watson, despite their wording and his acceptance of the money).

                                        -- Thomas Newton

boz@dartvax.UUCP (John Boswell) (11/11/87)

Actually, it is RR 10.3 on the Freesoft Roundtable of GEnie.  ONLY
REGISTERED users of RR are alowed on the roundtable; thus only these
people have access to RR 10.3.  This latest release is COMMERCIAL, and
NOT shareware!  Thus posting to the net is not a viable option, I
should think!

John Boswell
Department of Chemistry
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH

p.s. RR 10.3 is the *BEST* communications program I have used/seen!
It is WELL WORTH the cost.....