[comp.sys.mac] 2 problems with multifinder

rusty@velveeta.berkeley.edu (11/09/87)

Please respond by email.  Sorry if these have already been discussed.

Hardware configuration: Mac II with a color monitor.  Software is
multifinder; I think the system is 4.2 and the finder is 6.0.  The
setting in the monitors cdev is the highest (16 I think).

(1) Sometimes when the machine is booted the background printing
program comes up first but there isn't anything listed in the queue.
Clicking on its icon in the top right of the screen brings up the
finder and everything seems ok.  Is this something that I should be
worried about?

(2) When I use the Kolor cdev or double click on one of the color boxes
for fiddling with the desktop background pattern I get a color wheel
(which I think may be called the "color picker") and I can fiddle
around with the colors.  While fiddling with this color wheel I get the
impression that I can get lots of interesting colors.  When I click on
the OK box the color that I have picked doesn't "take".  With Kolor It
seems to only use the nearest "primary" colors (the center of the color
at the outside of the wheel).  With the background fiddler it switches
to the nearest color of what seems to be some built-in fixed colors.
What makes it strange is that while fiddling with the color wheel I can
get lots of interesting colors in the sample box in the top left.

--------------------------------------
	rusty c. wright
	rusty@weyl.berkeley.edu ucbvax!weyl!rusty

fry@huma1.HARVARD.EDU (David Fry) (11/12/87)

In article <5@ovaltine.berkeley.edu> rusty@velveeta.berkeley.edu () writes:
>Please respond by email.  Sorry if these have already been discussed.
>
>Hardware configuration: Mac II with a color monitor.  Software is
>multifinder; I think the system is 4.2 and the finder is 6.0.  The
>setting in the monitors cdev is the highest (16 I think).
>(2) When I use the Kolor cdev or double click on one of the color boxes
>for fiddling with the desktop background pattern I get a color wheel
>(which I think may be called the "color picker") and I can fiddle
>around with the colors.  While fiddling with this color wheel I get the
>impression that I can get lots of interesting colors.  When I click on
>the OK box the color that I have picked doesn't "take".  With Kolor It
>seems to only use the nearest "primary" colors (the center of the color
>at the outside of the wheel).  With the background fiddler it switches
>to the nearest color of what seems to be some built-in fixed colors.
>What makes it strange is that while fiddling with the color wheel I can
>get lots of interesting colors in the sample box in the top left.

You may have heard that the Mac II can display 16 colors from
a palette of over 16 million.  It is those 16 million colors
that you see when you play with the Color Picker color wheel.
But once you choose a color the color is returned to the
program that asked for the color (the Kolor cdev in this
case), and it is up to that program to make sure that ACTUAL
color is available (i.e. one of your 16).  But that may not be
appropriate, and it's not in the case of the Kolor cdev
because it would mess up other programs that needed the color
that your chosen color replaced.

So instead Kolor just gives you the nearest color which is
currently available.  This effect is much less noticeable if
you purchased the video expansion kit because with 256 colors
active at once you generally have at least one that is pretty
close to the one you chose.  So save up those pennies! :-)

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138