[comp.sys.mac] A Rather dumb question...

maddie@pnet01.UUCP (11/02/87)

  Anyone out there know what the maximum Hard-Disk size is on the Mac before
you have to partition? For some reason 4 gigabytes seems to pop into my head,
can anyone tell me for certain?

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!maddie
ARPA: crash!pnet01!maddie@nosc.mil
INET: maddie@pnet01.CTS.COM

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (11/05/87)

In article <1939@crash.CTS.COM> maddie@pnet01.UUCP writes:

>  Anyone out there know what the maximum Hard-Disk size is on the Mac before
>you have to partition? For some reason 4 gigabytes seems to pop into my head,
>can anyone tell me for certain?

I don't know the real answer, because I can't afford individual disks in the
gigabyte range :-).  However, 4 gig is 2^^32, or the largest binary integer
value (unsigned), that can be stored in a 32-bit field.  For a variety of
reasons it is moderately unlikely that a larger field will be used, nor is it
likely to matter in the reasonable future.  The question is, might it be a
smaller field?  At present, the Mac could reasonably be described as having a
24-bit architecture, at least with respect to operating system stuff.  So
saying, the lower limit would be 2^^24, or 16 meg, but we can readily see that
the actual limit is greater than this.  Who among us remembers when the
industry standard high-end disk was 29.5 Meg?

So saying, chances are good that a 32-bit field controls the number in
question, which gives 4G (unsigned) or 2G (signed).  I know, who would ever
want a signed value for maximum disk capacity, but stranger things can be
observed in any operating system...

Now, we are all agog to hear *why* you need to know.

Warning: the foregoing, while reasonable, must be considered as speculation
	 and not as fact.

Robert_S
--
Robert Stanley           Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
Voice: (613) 738-1440 (Research: there are 2!)           3755 Riverside Drive

brad@ut-sally.UUCP (blumenthal @ home with the armadillos) (11/10/87)

In article <1720@cognos.UUCP> roberts@cognos.UUCP (Robert Stanley) writes:
>24-bit architecture, at least with respect to operating system stuff.  So
>saying, the lower limit would be 2^^24, or 16 meg, but we can readily see that
>
>So saying, chances are good that a 32-bit field controls the number in
>question, which gives 4G (unsigned) or 2G (signed).  I know, who would ever
>
>Now, we are all agog to hear *why* you need to know.

Heck, I'm a lisp hacker.  I can think of ways of using a few gig of
VM, not to mention a few gig of file space for my knowledge base :-).

As long as we're going off into the wild blue yonder, I have a
question.  Isn't 2^n (where n is 24 or 32) just the number of
addresses?  HD's aren't usually byte addressable are they?  more like
512 bytes/address?  So this gives from 8 gig to about 2 terabytes (had
to look that prefix up in my CRC) of addressable storage.  When
Jasmine comes out with one for under 2K, I'll buy it :-)

Take care,
brad

keith@apple.UUCP (Keith Rollin) (11/12/87)

In article <1720@cognos.UUCP> roberts@cognos.UUCP (Robert Stanley) writes:
>In article <1939@crash.CTS.COM> maddie@pnet01.UUCP writes:
>
>>  Anyone out there know what the maximum Hard-Disk size is on the Mac before
>>you have to partition? For some reason 4 gigabytes seems to pop into my head,
>>can anyone tell me for certain?
>
>I don't know the real answer, because I can't afford individual disks in the
>gigabyte range :-).  However, 4 gig is 2^^32, or the largest binary integer
>value (unsigned), that can be stored in a 32-bit field.  For a variety of
>reasons it is moderately unlikely that a larger field will be used, nor is it
>likely to matter in the reasonable future.  The question is, might it be a
>smaller field?  At present, the Mac could reasonably be described as having a
>24-bit architecture, at least with respect to operating system stuff.  So
>saying, the lower limit would be 2^^24, or 16 meg, but we can readily see that
>the actual limit is greater than this.  Who among us remembers when the
>industry standard high-end disk was 29.5 Meg?
>
>So saying, chances are good that a 32-bit field controls the number in
>question, which gives 4G (unsigned) or 2G (signed).  I know, who would ever
>want a signed value for maximum disk capacity, but stranger things can be
>observed in any operating system...

Actually, I think that the maximum FILE size is set at 2G, cause it treats
the long word that holds its size as signed. Don't ask me why, that just
what I heard. However, I haven't had a chance to try it out :-)

When I first saw this question, I responded that I thought the the upper
limit of a hard disk was something like a longword number of 32Meg segments.
Well, that may be technically correct, but is realistically unfeasible.

As I glean it from IM, there is a maximum of 65535 "Allocation Blocks" on
a Macintosh volume. With 512 byte blocks, this leaves you at 32M. However,
each allocation block can be a variable length, as long as it's a
multiple of 512 bytes. This size is refered to as the allocation block
size, and is stored as a long word. So, while you may be able to have a
drive with a 2^17 Terrabyte capacity (I think that's what it comes to),
the minimum size of any files would be 4 gigabytes!