[comp.sys.mac] Extending the Keyboard Cable on 512e's

robb@mntgfx.mentor.com (Rob Bartel) (11/05/87)

I have a shiny new roll-top computer desk that I like a lot.  It really wants
about a 12 foot long (extended length) keyboard cable that can be routed up
around the back of the mac and plugged in.

For reasons that I am sure are honorable ;-| reasons Apple chose to use
connectors on the cable that are the same as telephone handset connectors,
but to wire the cable up such that it is the reverse of the premade handset
cables.  Several local Apple and other computer stores have told me they
cant help me, that Apple doesnt make a longer cable.  The phone store cant
either.

I have one idea for an incredible kludge that could work, but before I do
that I thought I would ask if anyone else has solved a similar problem.
Someone mentioned they thought a MacUser of some months ago had a solution
in it, but I have been unable to find it.

Thanks for any help.

--
Rob Bartel
...!tektronix!sequent!mntgfx!robb

pgn@usceast.UUCP (Paul Nevai) (11/07/87)

Question: How to get a long properly wired cable for the keyboard?

Answer: get a continuity tester, and use that to determine how the
standard cable is set up. then go to any store selling phone cable
stuff and make your own cable. Considering that there are four wires
only in the cable, this is afairly trivial job. To me it sound much
easier than if one strated to search through the literature for the
right solution.

Answer2: Make a random choice. If you are lucky it will work.
(The probability is 1/4!)

      * *             * *          |  * *             * *             *
     *   *           *   *         | *   *           *   *           *
    *     *         *     *        |*     *         *     *         *
---*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*---
  *         *     *         *     *|        *     *         *     *
 *           *   *           *   * |         *   *           *   *
*             * *             * *  |          * *             * *

Have Orthogonal Polynomials
Will Travel

Paul Nevai                                N410106@univscvm.BITNET (PREFERRED)
Carolina Research Professor               .../!wright/!usceast/!pgn (UUCP)
Department of Mathematics                 pgn@cs.scarolina.edu.CSNET
University of South Carolina              73057,172.Compu$erve
Columbia, S.C. 29208                      1-(803)-777-3776.office
U.S.A.                                    1-(803)-777-4226.secy

levin@bbn.COM (Joel B Levin) (11/09/87)

:
:For reasons that I am sure are honorable ;-| reasons Apple chose to use
:connectors on the cable that are the same as telephone handset connectors,
:but to wire the cable up such that it is the reverse of the premade handset
:cables.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned ...  but you can buy
extension cables, female connecter on one end, male on the other,
which transparently carry the four circuits without change.  Why not
just get one and use it _with_ your current Apple cable?

	/JBL
--
UUCP: {harvard, husc6, etc.}!bbn!levin
ARPA: levin@bbn.com

kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (11/10/87)

	"Replacement keyboard cords for Apple Macintosh in fun colors"
	CoORDinates - Double Length cord (also available in single length)

		Tacklind Design Inc.
		250 Cowper Street
		Palo Alto, CA 94301

			(makers of MouseEase and TakeCover - whatever those are)

yep, that's what it says on the little box mine came in,
more I don't know - disclaimers apply.

--
kraut@ngp.utexas.edu

earleh@dartvax.UUCP (Earle R. Horton) (11/11/87)

In article <6789@ut-ngp.UUCP>, kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>(makers of MouseEase and TakeCover - whatever those are)

MouseEase is a set of little teflon pads that you glue on the bottom of the
mouse to reduce wear and improve friction.  I have a set and couldn't live
without them.
*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

hallett@othello.steinmetz (Jeff R Hallett) (11/13/87)

In article <7604@dartvax.UUCP> earleh@dartvax.UUCP (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>In article <6789@ut-ngp.UUCP>, kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>>(makers of MouseEase and TakeCover - whatever those are)
>
>MouseEase is a set of little teflon pads that you glue on the bottom of the
>mouse to reduce wear and improve friction.  I have a set and couldn't live
>without them.
>--
>*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

Not criticizing you Earle, but could we make an attempt to keep the
message somewhat related to the subject?

Jeff

"The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"

                                 -- Kirk  (STIII)