[comp.sys.mac] ejecting disks using Com-Shift-1 or 2

mayerk@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Kenneth Mayer) (11/12/87)

[et tu line eater!]

Something I've noticed for quite some time but never got around to
following up:

Long ago, you could eject a disk using Com-Shift-1 or Com-Shift-2
almost anytime, within any application. It seems that that has
changed. I notice it the most when I eject my system disk from the
internal drive of my 512e and insert an application disk like MS-W**d.
Now, I still have another disk in my external drive, but I no longer
need it, and when I get the hated "Please swap 'till you drop" dialog
box, I can't Com-Shift-2 to get the darn disk out of the external
drive so I can put one of the other disks in it. (Got it?) This can be
very frustrating; It is as if I temporarirly had a single drive
system.

Any comment as to why Apple removed this low-level construct? I would
appreciate if they put it back. (Who did it harm when it was there?)

Kenneth Mayer

-----     =====     -----     =====     -----     =====     -----
Kenneth Mayer			|	Teacher: "Two plus two equals..."
mayerk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	|	Student: "Four, but what's a two?"

takahash@bnrmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) (11/12/87)

In article <2492@super.upenn.edu>, mayerk@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Kenneth Mayer) writes:
> Long ago, you could eject a disk using Com-Shift-1 or Com-Shift-2
> almost anytime, within any application. It seems that that has
> changed. I notice it the most when I eject my system disk from the
> internal drive of my 512e and insert an application disk like MS-W**d.
> Now, I still have another disk in my external drive, but I no longer
> need it, and when I get the hated "Please swap 'till you drop" dialog
> box, I can't Com-Shift-2 to get the darn disk out of the external
> drive so I can put one of the other disks in it. (Got it?) This can be
> very frustrating; It is as if I temporarirly had a single drive
> system.
>
> Any comment as to why Apple removed this low-level construct? I would
> appreciate if they put it back. (Who did it harm when it was there?)

As far as I'm aware, Cmd-Shift-1 and Cmd-Shift-2 have always worked this
way.  They will eject a disk under normal conditions, but if you get
into a 'Please insert disk <name>' dialog, the two FKEYS no longer work
until the disk swaps are finished.

This 'feature' has bitten me many times, and I wish someone would fix it.
Any comments?  Apple?

> Kenneth Mayer			|	Teacher: "Two plus two equals..."
> mayerk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	|	Student: "Four, but what's a two?"

Alan Takahashi  *at*  ...!{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax,ames}!bnrmtv!takahashi

#All standard disclaimers apply#

"When all else fails, try the boss's suggestion." -- Strano's Law

lippin@skippy (The Apathist) (11/14/87)

Recently takahash@bnrmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) said:
>As far as I'm aware, Cmd-Shift-1 and Cmd-Shift-2 have always worked this
>way.  They will eject a disk under normal conditions, but if you get
>into a 'Please insert disk <name>' dialog, the two FKEYS no longer work
>until the disk swaps are finished.

I think I've used them during the disk switch dialog, and they worked.
It's certainly better that way.

Is there some "intelligent" way that the OS decides which disk to kick
out?  It's certainly not keep-the-most-recently-used-disk, which would
be the obvious choice.  If there isn't, why isn't there?

					--Tom Lippincott
					..ucbvax!bosco!lippin

	"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
	 for they are subtle, and quickto anger."  --J.R.R. Tolkien