[comp.sys.mac] How much disk space does A/UX take?

rfortier@palladium.UUCP (Richard W. Fortier) (11/13/87)

I know that Apple requires an 80MB disk for use with A/UX, and that
the system "may" work with other 3rd party disks.  I'd like to know
approximately how much space the system software will consume; that
is, of my 80MB or so, how much is left over?  I'm trying to estimate
how much disk I will need to purchase to work on my contemplated
projects.

I realize that only Beta software is available at the moment, so the
final number will vary from anything you can tell me now; I'm just
looking for a ballpark answer.  Please respond directly to me, I will
summarize to the net.

--

---
Richard W. Fortier, Epoch Systems, Marlboro MA

phil@apple.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) (11/16/87)

In article <402@palladium.UUCP> rfortier@palladium.UUCP (Richard W. Fortier) writes:
>I know that Apple requires an 80MB disk for use with A/UX, and that
>the system "may" work with other 3rd party disks.  I'd like to know
>approximately how much space the system software will consume; that
>is, of my 80MB or so, how much is left over?  I'm trying to estimate
>how much disk I will need to purchase to work on my contemplated
>projects.
>
>I realize that only Beta software is available at the moment, so the
>final number will vary from anything you can tell me now; I'm just
>looking for a ballpark answer.  Please respond directly to me, I will
>summarize to the net.
>
>Richard W. Fortier, Epoch Systems, Marlboro MA
>{linus!alliant, harvard!cfisun}!palladium!rfortier

A/UX will leave about 7 megabytes free as the disk comes from the factory.
However, before shuddering at this seemingly absurdly low ( :-) )
low figure, consider that we have packed A/UX with a lot of extras that many
people will remove, such as the full public domain sources for emacs and kermit
and compress and the MacNFS validation daemon and more, plus a very large
system file for the A/UX Toolbox plus full DWB and TransScript with complete
font files and all the man pages ... everything but the kitchen sink (we are
waiting for the next release of the kitchen sink before supporting it :-)).

Philip K. Ronzone, A/UX Technical Manager                   APPLELINK: RONZONE1
Apple Computer, Mail Stop 27AJ, 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  Cupertino, CA  95014
UUCP:  ...!{sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil