[comp.sys.mac] IC Layout Software for the Mac II

krm@aluxz.UUCP (Kurt Marko) (11/04/87)

I posted the following request to another group
(comp.lsi) about porting IC layout software to the
Mac II, and received a couple of responses indicating
that either Apple or Berkeley had already ported MAGIC
to a II running Beta A/UX (I'd actually prefer to stay
with the Mac OS, as I'd like the port to have a full Mac
user interface, but I'll take what I can get).  Can anyone
confirm or deny this, and if true, I'd love to get a copy.
Also, does anyone on this group have any comments/experience on
this subject?

: I'm interested in bringing up an IC layout package on
: a new hardware platform we've just received (a Mac II),
: however the in-house software we use for most circuit
: layout may be too large to run efficiently on the Mac.
: The package must support at least 20 mask layers, have
: assignable colors, be able to handle reasonably large
: databases, support EBES output, and preferably have
: a symbolic editing mode (although I'd be willing to
: sacrifice this if all other features were supported).
:
: I understand that MAGIC is something of a standard on the
: outside world (please correct me if I'm wrong), and am
: wondering how I can acquire the source code and documentation
: to the program.  Is the source public domain (I expect to do
: a lot of re-coding to adequately support the Mac user
: interface)?  Is it small enough to be e-mailed?  Are
: there other layout packages available which may be
: more suitable?
:
: Please excuse my ignorance on this subject, as I've not
: followed the developments in commercial CAD software for
: a few years.  E-mail responses, and I can summarize if
: others are interested.  Thanks!

Again, thanks in advance!

Kurt Marko
AT&T Bell Labs
{ihnp4, ulysses,...your_favorite_gateway...}!aluxz!krm

inaba@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (11/11/87)

----
note on MAGIC

YES!!! I am SUPER DUPER interested in getting magic if it is indeed PD.  This
is exactly what I've been looking for! (in fact, it is what I'm using in
my classwork)  I didn't know there was a comp.lsi...will have to look
into it :-)

-Mark

mayo@mustard.Berkeley.EDU.berkeley.edu (Bob Mayo) (11/14/87)

In article <887@aluxz.UUCP> krm@aluxz.UUCP (Kurt Marko) writes:
>: ...
>: Is the source public domain (I expect to do
>: a lot of re-coding to adequately support the Mac user
>: interface)?  Is it small enough to be e-mailed?
>: ...

Just to make sure that no rumors are started, Magic is NOT public domain.
The program is copyrighted by the University of California.  The software license
is pretty liberal, and always includes source code.  We *usually* don't mind if
people share their mods & ports, as long as large amounts of source code aren't
passed around and the parties involved all have licenses.  The program is far
too big to email (about 120K lines of C code).

As far as running on a MacII, I've heard that rumor but don't have any offical
confirmation.  If you have seen it running let me know!

--Bob Mayo

phil@apple.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) (11/16/87)

In article <21780@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mayo@mustard (Bob Mayo) writes:
>Just to make sure that no rumors are started, Magic is NOT public domain.
>The program is copyrighted by the University of California.  The software license
>is pretty liberal, and always includes source code.  We *usually* don't mind if
>people share their mods & ports, as long as large amounts of source code aren't
>passed around and the parties involved all have licenses.  The program is far
>too big to email (about 120K lines of C code).
>
>As far as running on a MacII, I've heard that rumor but don't have any offical
>confirmation.  If you have seen it running let me know!
>
>--Bob Mayo

Yes - in Mar-87, Apple ported Magic (latest sources as existed then) to
an early alpha version of A/UX for demonstration at Macworld in March. From
source tape spinning until done was 16 hours. It was ported onto the first
port of X (10.4), which itself took about 2 manweeks. The port of Magic took
so long because it was brought up in a black-and-white world, and colors
were hacked into stipple patterns. When done, we could zook in and out of
floor plans and other fun things, but it did core dump often. We got it good
enough for demo and that is where we stop. Apple no longer has sources,
the binary images, etc. and has no plans/desire to support/port or sell it.
However, given 16 hours for 120,000 lines of code, it should not be
difficult. (Apple thanks Stanford very very much for their help in the
port of Magic).

Philip K. Ronzone, A/UX Technical Manager                   APPLELINK: RONZONE1
Apple Computer, Mail Stop 27AJ, 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  Cupertino, CA  95014
UUCP:  ...!{sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil