[comp.sys.mac] MPW C, MPW Pascal, LSP and LSC compatibility

hpoppe@scdpyr.UUCP (Herb Poppe) (11/10/87)

Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW C from MPW Pascal?
Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW Pascal from MPW C?

Is it possible to use code compiled in LSC from LSP?
Is it possible to use code compiled in LSP from LSC?

Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW C from LSC?
Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW Pascal from LSP?

Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW C from LSP?
Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW Pascal from LSC?

I have only used LSP.
--
Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@scdpyr.UCAR.EDU
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (11/11/87)

In article <199@scdpyr.UUCP> hpoppe@scdpyr.UUCP (Herb Poppe) writes:
>Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW C from MPW Pascal?
>Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW Pascal from MPW C?

	Yes.

>Is it possible to use code compiled in LSC from LSP?
>Is it possible to use code compiled in LSP from LSC?

	No.

>Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW C from LSC?

	No.

>Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW Pascal from LSP?

	Yes.

>Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW C from LSP?

	Yes.

>Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW Pascal from LSC?

	Yes.

>I have only used LSP.

	Yes. :-)

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* Symantec, THINK Technologies Division.  (No snappy quote)         *

jordan@apple.UUCP (Jordan Mattson) (11/11/87)

Dear Herb -

	It is possible to link object files from the MPW compilers (MPW Pascal
and MPW C) and the MPW assembler together.  In addition, any MPW tool that
uses the MPW object file format (at present the above tools and TML Modula-2
and Semper Software's Modula-2 compiler, but not Manx's MPW Aztec C) can output
object files that can be linked with other MPW object files.
	This is one of the strengths of the MPW environment:  the ability to
easily put together multi-language programs.
--

Jordan Mattson				UUCP:   ucbvax!mtxinu!apple!jordan
Apple Computer, Inc.			CSNET: 	jordan@apple.CSNET

raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) (11/14/87)

In article <3161@husc6.UUCP>, singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) writes:
> In article <199@scdpyr.UUCP> hpoppe@scdpyr.UUCP (Herb Poppe) writes:
> >Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW C from MPW Pascal?
> >Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW Pascal from MPW C?
> 	Yes.
> >Is it possible to use code compiled in LSC from LSP?
> >Is it possible to use code compiled in LSP from LSC?
> 	No.
> >Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW C from LSC?
> 	No.
> >Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW Pascal from LSP?
> 	Yes.
> >Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW C from LSP?
> 	Yes.
> >Is it possible to use code compiled in MPW Pascal from LSC?
> 	Yes.
I don't have MPW, so the following may sound silly:
Why can LSC use MPW Pascal code and not MPW C code?  Doesn't MPW Pascal
and MPW C both compile to MPW's .o file format?  If so, I don't recall
seeing a .o converter for LSC...though I know it exists for LSP.

While on the subject of compatability, why didn't THINK make a utility to
convert libraries, or even projects, between LSP and LSC?  (if not make
them compatable-which, I guess, will remove some features in each prgm.)
What about a LSC=>MPW .o converter too?  (and LSP too)

We have a .Rel=>LSC and .Rel=>LSP converter, what about the reverse?

Sometimes I find it helpful to have the ability to share object code w/others..
but I can't w/non LSC users at present...

Raymond Lau                      {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!raylau
New York, NY, USA                               {sun}!hoptoad/
GEnie:RayLau   Delphi:RaymondLau   CIS:76174,2617
"Take it and StuffIt."

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (11/15/87)

In article <1974@dasys1.UUCP> raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) writes:
>Why can LSC use MPW Pascal code and not MPW C code?  Doesn't MPW Pascal
>and MPW C both compile to MPW's .o file format?  If so, I don't recall
>seeing a .o converter for LSC...though I know it exists for LSP.

	That was my mistake, I apologize. I mistyped. Here's the story:

	You can use MPW .O files (with some restrictions) in Lightspeed Pascal.

	You cannot use MPW .O files at all with LightspeedC.

	You cannot use LightspeedC Library files in Lightspeed Pascal.

	You cannot use Lightspeed Pascal Library files in LightspeedC.

>While on the subject of compatability, why didn't THINK make a utility to
>convert libraries, or even projects, between LSP and LSC?  (if not make

	Compatibility is planned between LSC and LSP, so you'll be able to
import or convert libraries between the two development systems.

>What about a LSC=>MPW .o converter too?  (and LSP too)

	No. Frankly, we're not interested in exporting to the MPW object
format.

>We have a .Rel=>LSC and .Rel=>LSP converter, what about the reverse?

	Ditto.

>Sometimes I find it helpful to have the ability to share object code w/others.

	Agreed.

drc@dbase.UUCP (11/17/87)

In article <1974@dasys1.UUCP>, raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) writes:
> I don't have MPW, so the following may sound silly:
> Why can LSC use MPW Pascal code and not MPW C code?  Doesn't MPW Pascal
> and MPW C both compile to MPW's .o file format?  If so, I don't recall
> seeing a .o converter for LSC...though I know it exists for LSP.

It might have something to do with the fact that LSC has built-in support for
the ToolBox (Pascal) routines via the Pascal keyword before a function.  This
is the signal for LSC to treat the parameters, etc. per the Pascal conventions.
MPW C has different conventions.  I would think though, that with a .oConverter
one would be able to use MPW C objects.

> While on the subject of compatability, why didn't THINK make a utility to
> convert libraries, or even projects, between LSP and LSC?  (if not make
> them compatable-which, I guess, will remove some features in each prgm.)
> What about a LSC=>MPW .o converter too?  (and LSP too)

Yeah! That's the ticket.  Get the LSC editor and the LSP debugging into one
environment.  That way, I could use LSP without swearing at the !@#*$% editor
every time I wanted to edit some existing source and could use LSC with some
good source level debugging.
I agree that it would be nice to be able to extract objects from LightSpeed for
use with MPW, but it is probably unrealistic in a business sense to expect a
company to provide a convenient path AWAY from their product to another one.
It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to provide a way to import files
from other environments for use in their own, Think (Symantec, now?) has done
this with the rel and .o converters.

> We have a .Rel=>LSC and .Rel=>LSP converter, what about the reverse?

Why, does anybody still use .rel format (other than Consulair and TML)? :=)

> Sometimes I find it helpful to have the ability to share object code w/others..
You aren't the only one.  That's why most of my work is done in MPW.  Being an
Apple product and having published its formats, it has the best chance of
becoming a standard.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
Disclaimer:  I say what _I_ think, not what my employers think (I don't ask
them!).