[comp.sys.mac] System 4.2 // MUCHO Memory hog!!

hunt@firqb.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (11/14/87)

Hello,

  I have upgraded to system 4.2, Finder 6.0, MF 1.0.  Some things I have found:

1)  The new system takes up MUCHO memory!!!  Mine is taking 700-900K (As shown
by the Finder 'About' box.  Only 350k is 'in use', but 700-900 is reserved to
the system.

2)  Videoworks II sometimes dies on my Mac II (2 meg) with a message saying:

     Not enough memory for operation, 5902 needed, 69902 available

What the H*LL does that mean!!!

3) A MF shortcut...If you have lots of DAs (ie using Suitcase?), it can take
forever to scroll to the bottom to get to the MF active apps list,  just hold
the OPTION key down, while pulling down the Apple menu!!  You get the 'About
Finder' item, Suitcase Item, MF apps and 'About MF' item, NO DAs!!

4)  I can't get the 'About MF' (Multifinder) menu item to work, my machine just
bongs at me, and I have 700k+ memory available.

5)  The new INIT on the BBSs called MF MENU that puts a MF menu next to the
Small icons on the upper right corner (to avoid the DA scrolling I already talked
about) BOMBS EXCEL 1.03 and MSWORD 3.00 upon calling the 'About' boxes of these
programs

6) POPKEYS 3.0 INIT file crashes a MacII when starting up under the released MF
1.0

Phil Hunt

drc@dbase.UUCP (11/17/87)

In article <8711140548.AA25892@decwrl.dec.com>, hunt@firqb.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:

>  I have upgraded to system 4.2, Finder 6.0, MF 1.0.  Some things I have found:
>
> 1)  The new system takes up MUCHO memory!!!  Mine is taking 700-900K (As shown
> by the Finder 'About' box.  Only 350k is 'in use', but 700-900 is reserved to
> the system.
I'll bet you have a 512K RAM Cache turned on (that's reflected in the system
figure/bar).

> 2)  Videoworks II sometimes dies on my Mac II (2 meg) with a message saying:
>
>      Not enough memory for operation, 5902 needed, 69902 available
>
> What the H*LL does that mean!!!
I don't know for sure, but it probably means that the largest single block from
your 69K is not large enough to handle the memory request.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
Disclaimer:  I say what _I_ think, I don't know what my employer thinks.