[comp.sys.mac] How Can I Get the New System and Finder?

cgeiger@ut-ngp.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) (11/04/87)

Is it possible (and legal?) for someone to post the new system and
finder (preferably the exact same version that exists on the disks
that Apple sends) on comp.binaries.mac?

Unbelievably, the MicroCenter here at UT doesn't have them yet, and
they say they won't have them for a couple of weeks.  This, from an
outlet which was at one time the largest Mac seller in the entire
world (and maybe still is)!   Grrrr.

I need them ASAP because I'm helping another department set up a
bunch of hard disks next week and don't want to have to go over
there and replace all the System Folders when the new System/Finder
does arrive here.  (Unfortunately, the level of Mac expertise at the
other department is rather low; they probably shouldn't change them
out themselves!)

Thanks in advance.

cheers, from
charles s. geiger
ARPA:  cgeiger@ngp.cc.utexas.edu       cgeiger@ut-ngp.ARPA
UUCP:  ihnp4!ut-ngp!cgeiger     allegra!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       gatech!ut-ngp!cgeiger    seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       harvard!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger

mentat@auscso.UUCP (Robert Dorsett) (11/05/87)

In article <6733@ut-ngp.UUCP> cgeiger@ut-ngp.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) writes:
>Is it possible (and legal?) for someone to post the new system and
>finder (preferably the exact same version that exists on the disks
>that Apple sends) on comp.binaries.mac?

No!  Don't do it!  The new files are HUGE.  We're talking 600K+.

--
Robert Dorsett                  {allegra,ihnp4}!ut-sally!ut-ngp!walt!mentat
University of Texas at Austin	{allegra, ihnp4}!ut-sally!ut-ngp!auscso!mentat

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (11/05/87)

>Is it possible (and legal?) for someone to post the new system and
>finder (preferably the exact same version that exists on the disks
>that Apple sends) on comp.binaries.mac?

No, don't post them. To redistribute this software, you need a license from
Apple, which we don't have.

>Unbelievably, the MicroCenter here at UT doesn't have them yet, and
>they say they won't have them for a couple of weeks.

Join the club. Apple's evidently slowed shipments To The Rest Of Us to
give developers a chance to evaluate it and see what it breaks. (smart,
if you ask me, excpe that I'd really love to have Multifinder...)

>I need them ASAP because I'm helping another department set up a
>bunch of hard disks next week and don't want to have to go over
>there and replace all the System Folders when the new System/Finder
>does arrive here.

About all I can recommend is patience. The new stuff hasn't yet been
released to the electronic systems, and I haven't heard of a single case of
a store having the $49 package. As soon as it shows up on Delphi, I'll let
you folks know, so people with Delphi/CI$/etc accounts can go get them.

chuq

---
Chuq "Fixed in 4.0" Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM	Delphi: CHUQ

shap@sfsup.UUCP (11/18/87)

In article <6733@ut-ngp.UUCP> cgeiger@ut-ngp.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) writes:
>Is it possible (and legal?) for someone to post the new system and
>finder (preferably the exact same version that exists on the disks
>that Apple sends) on comp.binaries.mac?

It is also illegal - these are new Apple products to be sold. Posting them
would be a copyright violation. New Mac II purchasers have a grandfather
clause - if your system did not come with the form to order the new
software, go pound on your dealer.

Jon Shapiro