[comp.sys.mac] MultiFinder Versions?

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) (11/09/87)

What is the version number of the :
	Finder
	System
	MultiFinder File

in the multifinder release to us users?

Jeff Sullivan				University of Pittsburgh
pitt!cisunx!jasst3			Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS (BITNET)			Graduate Student
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (11/10/87)

In article <5112@cisunx.UUCP> jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) writes:
>What is the version number of the :
>	Finder
	6.0
>	System
	4.2
>	MultiFinder File
	1.0

>in the multifinder release to us users?

A couple of notes - the disks are referred to "System Tools 5.0 Disk 1"
"Utilities 5.0 Disk 1" etc. Note that there are 4 disks (2 System Tools
disks and 2 Utilities disks).

>Jeff Sullivan				University of Pittsburgh
>pitt!cisunx!jasst3			Intelligent Systems Studies Program
>jasper@PittVMS (BITNET)			Graduate Student
>. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.
hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen

han@apple.UUCP (Byron Han) (11/10/87)

The shipping versions are System 4.2, Finder 6.0, and MultiFinder 1.0.

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/*  NOTE: I am _NOT_ an Apple representative.  All statements and opinions  */
/* are my own and are _not_ to be construed as any official Apple position. */
/* Byron B. Han                 UUCP: {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!han */
/* Apple Computer, Inc.        CSNET: han@apple.csnet                       */
/* 20525 Mariani Ave MS 27Y    GENIE: BYRONHAN         CSERVE: 72167,1664   */
/* Cupertino, CA 95014        ATTNet: 408-973-6450  APPLELINK: HAN1         */
/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

jordan@apple.UUCP (Jordan Mattson) (11/10/87)

In the System Software 5.0 Package the following files have the given versions:

	Finder		6.0
	MultiFinder	1.0
	System		4.2

--

Jordan Mattson				UUCP:   ucbvax!mtxinu!apple!jordan
Apple Computer, Inc.			CSNET: 	jordan@apple.CSNET

omh@nancy (Owen M. Hartnett) (11/14/87)

In article <6692@apple.UUCP> jordan@apple.UUCP (Jordan Mattson) writes:

>In the System Software 5.0 Package the following files have the given versions:
>
>	Finder		6.0
>	MultiFinder	1.0
>	System		4.2
>
>--
>

>Jordan Mattson				UUCP:   ucbvax!mtxinu!apple!jordan
>Apple Computer, Inc.			CSNET: 	jordan@apple.CSNET
>Tools & Languages Product Management
>20525 Mariani Avenue, MS 27S
>Cupertino, CA 95014
>408-973-4601
>			"Joy is the serious business of heaven."
>					C.S. Lewis

Dear Whoever is Responsible (or Irresponsible :-)) for Such Things:

Could the powers that be, in the next installment of the System software,
please "graduate" the version of the System File such that both Finder and
System have the same version number?  There is already a lot of confusion
around because the two files have had the same and similar numbering.

Example:  "Hey Fred, what version of the System/Finder are you using?"

Fred: "Why, 4.1"

This will do so much for the peace and security of the free world that
you, the person responsible, will undoubtedly get a statue in your honor
erected in a conspicuous place in New York's Times Square.

Just Think:

	System 6.1
	Finder 6.1   ... and I know I'm pushing it...
	Multifinder 6.1

Just say *yes*

Your public awaits.

Owen Hartnett
Brown University Computer Science

omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
omh%cs.brown.edu@relay.cs.net-relay.ARPA
{ihnp4,allegra}!brunix!omh

jmvm@oakhill.UUCP (John VanMunster) (11/14/87)

In article <20467@brunix.UUCP> omh@nancy.UUCP (Owen M. Hartnett) writes:
>In article <6692@apple.UUCP> jordan@apple.UUCP (Jordan Mattson) writes:
>>
>>In the System Software 5.0 Package the following files have the given versions:
>>
>>	Finder		6.0
>>	MultiFinder	1.0
>>	System		4.2
>>
>>Jordan Mattson				UUCP:   ucbvax!mtxinu!apple!jordan
>>Apple Computer, Inc.			CSNET: 	jordan@apple.CSNET
>
>Dear Whoever is Responsible (or Irresponsible :-)) for Such Things:
>
>Could the powers that be, in the next installment of the System software,
>please "graduate" the version of the System File such that both Finder and
>System have the same version number?  There is already a lot of confusion
>around because the two files have had the same and similar numbering.
>
>This will do so much for the peace and security of the free world that
>you, the person responsible, will undoubtedly get a statue in your honor
>erected in a conspicuous place in New York's Times Square.
>
>Just Think:
>
>	System 6.1
>	Finder 6.1   ... and I know I'm pushing it...
>	Multifinder 6.1
>
>Just say *yes*

  Y E S !   Y E S ! and  Y E S ! Please, its driving everyone crazy. Now,
instead of alleviating the problem, its WORSE (System Software 5.0/System
file 6.0 - yeecch)! Can't you just use ONE version number across ALL system
stuff that comes on a specific release?
--
John VanMunster, Motorola Inc., OakHill, Tx.
     {harvard,ihnp4,seismo,gatech,nbires}..!ut-sally!oakhill!jmvm   (uucp)

Disclaimer: The views contained herein are my own, not those of my employer or
the administration of any computer sytem which I may be currently using.

kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (11/15/87)

In article <1043@oakhill.UUCP>, jmvm@oakhill.UUCP (John VanMunster) writes:

	<following up to messages, listing the version numbers of the latest
	 release version of the files System, Finder, MultiFinder>

> >please "graduate" the version of the System File such that both Finder and
> >System have the same version number?  There is already a lot of confusion
> >around because the two files have had the same and similar numbering.

> >Just Think:

> >	System 6.1
> >	Finder 6.1   ... and I know I'm pushing it...
> >	Multifinder 6.1

> >Just say *yes*

>   Y E S !   Y E S ! and  Y E S ! Please, its driving everyone crazy. Now,
> instead of alleviating the problem, its WORSE (System Software 5.0/System
> file 6.0 - yeecch)! Can't you just use ONE version number across ALL system
> stuff that comes on a specific release?

please, remember, that there are a couple of other files which have version
numbers, such as LaserWriter and LaserPrep, ScrapBook, FindFile-DA, etc ...

would you really like the version-numbers of all files to change for each
release, even when they don't change?  Somehow, when I think back to System
versions 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.1, I can see where that would drive me crazy also...

What I would like to see is something completely transparent to the user,
some code which gets executed as part of the boot process, which checks that
all the system files are compatible and warns the user of problems.
How the situation could be handled where you switch the Finder/System when
executing a file on a disks with it's own complete System or when you do a
OPTION-CLOVER-double-click on another Finder, I'll leave that to Apple
who should be the one writing this particular bit of code .....

BTW, it is probably necessary that DA's such as ControlPanel, Chooser, etc
do their own checking, because they might be run "out of the SuitCase"  ((-:
and not be available at boot ....

How the heck you check that the fonts are up-to-date beats me ....

otherwise, YES, YES, YES ....

--
kraut@ngp.utexas.edu

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (11/16/87)

>> >please "graduate" the version of the System File such that both Finder and
>> >System have the same version number?  There is already a lot of confusion
>> >around because the two files have had the same and similar numbering.
>
>please, remember, that there are a couple of other files which have version
>numbers, such as LaserWriter and LaserPrep, ScrapBook, FindFile-DA, etc ...
>
>would you really like the version-numbers of all files to change for each
>release, even when they don't change?  Somehow, when I think back to System
>versions 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.1, I can see where that would drive me crazy also...

  Personally, I've noticed that whenever there's a new system file there's a
new printer, control panel etc. While its true that alarm clock per se hasn't
changed much in a long time, most things do anyway so I doubt this would be
much of a change. Probably the best thing to do would be to number the major
portions of the system as a unit. Namely, number the ImageWriter, Finder,
System, and LaserWriter. Even if that is too much of a problem I think its
just stupid to give the Finder/System different numbers.

 Then again, if they weren't just a little flaky, they wouldn't be apple and
they wouldn't build the best damn computers in the world. (Barring Cray, of
course.)
  PIerce Wetter

When the government bureau's remedies do not match your problem, you
modify the problem, not the remedy.

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu

borton@net1.ucsd.edu (Chris Borton) (11/16/87)

In article <6849@ut-ngp.UUCP> kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>What I would like to see is something completely transparent to the user,
>some code which gets executed as part of the boot process, which checks that
>all the system files are compatible and warns the user of problems.
>How the situation could be handled where you switch the Finder/System when
>executing a file on a disks with it's own complete System or when you do a
>OPTION-CLOVER-double-click on another Finder, I'll leave that to Apple

Apple already has done this in Finder 6.x.  If you try to switch-launch to an
older System/Finder it puts up an alert telling you that it can't do that.

So there's a start...:-)

-cbb
Chris "Johann" Borton, UC San Diego	...!sdcsvax!borton
					borton@ucsd.edu or BORTON@UCSD.BITNET
Letztes Jahr in Deutschland, nog een jaar hier, en dan naar Amsterdam!
"H = F cubed.  Happiness = Food, Fun, & Friends."  --Steve Wozniak

martin@lakesys.UUCP (11/18/87)

	Dreamer				:-)

--
|	Martin Wiedmeyer - Lake Systems, Milwaukee, WI                        |
|       UUCP: {ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!martin                            |