[comp.sys.mac] FullWrite Update

dhac@ur-tut.UUCP (Darren Jay Hacker) (11/06/87)

[Chomp my line, line-eater!]

I just got off the phone with those *nice* people at Ann Arbor.  They said:

	1. FullWrite Professional has been completed*.  They are working
		on removing the known and pin-pointed bugs in the program.
	2. Shipment is targeted at the end of November*.  We should see it
		in the beginning of December.
	3. Charter Subscribers: if you have already paid for FullWrite and
		think that this is a scam, you CAN get a REFUND directly
		from Ann Arbor Softworks.  They admit that they have made
		mistakes, and realize that some people will be ticked off.
		I am keeping my faith in them.

	* Or so they say

Send all flames, not to me, but to AAS: (805) 375-1467.

Darren Jay Hacker	  Internet: dhac@tut.cc.rochester.edu
"The fault, dear Brutus,      UUCP: dhac@ur-tut.UUCP		    \ / ,|.
 is not in our stars,	       (or) ...{ames,cmcl2,decvax,rutgers}   X ( | )
 but in our software		       !rochester!ur-tut!dhac	    / \ `|'

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (11/12/87)

In article <424@ur-tut.UUCP> dhac@ur-tut.UUCP (Darren Jay Hacker) writes:

>I just got off the phone with those *nice* people at Ann Arbor.  They said:

>	1. FullWrite Professional has been completed*.  They are working
>		on removing the known and pin-pointed bugs in the program.

>	* Or so they say

Even if this was only reportage of a telephone conversation with a
keep-the-customers-happy person, it makes a disturbing statement.  How can
a program of any kind, let alone a commercial product, have been completed
while programmers are still fixing it?

This posting is not really a flame at Ann Arbor Softworks, but at an industry,
because I have a horrible suspicion that this statement reflects an attitude
which is endemic in the business.  I once owned a successful software company,
and if I think about it, there were reflections of such a way of thought right
there at home.  So what hope is there for turning this around?  The Mac
interface introduced a whole new way of thinking about computers.  The
LaserWriter introduced a whole new way of thinking about publishing.  Any
chance that Apple will come up with a whole new way of thinking about
delivering *trustworthy* software?

Ummmm, I remember talking to a manager in an IBM software lab who was
witnessing a severe case of "get the product out on time, regardless of its
state".  On the whole, I am glad that FullWrite's introduction has been delayed
until they are comfortable, and I shall look forward to reviews from those of
you who decide to use it.  I guess the problem is, how do we learn to estimate
how much time and effort it is really going to take to do something?

Robert_S
--
Robert Stanley           Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
Voice: (613) 738-1440 (Research: there are 2!)           3755 Riverside Drive

In article <1743@cognos.UUCP> roberts@cognos.UUCP (Robert Stanley) writes:
>In article <424@ur-tut.UUCP> dhac@ur-tut.UUCP (Darren Jay Hacker) writes:
>
>>I just got off the phone with those *nice* people at Ann Arbor.  They said:
>
>>	1. FullWrite Professional has been completed*.  They are working
>>		on removing the known and pin-pointed bugs in the program.
>
>>	* Or so they say
>
>Even if this was only reportage of a telephone conversation with a
>keep-the-customers-happy person, it makes a disturbing statement.  How can
>a program of any kind, let alone a commercial product, have been completed
>while programmers are still fixing it?

Presumably what is mean is that all the intended features have been
implemented, testing has found some bugs, and they are now being
fixed.  This is generally one of the last technical steps in getting a
software product out (there are still non-technical steps such as
packaging).

>This posting is not really a flame at Ann Arbor Softworks, but at an industry,
>because I have a horrible suspicion that this statement reflects an attitude
>which is endemic in the business.  I once owned a successful software company,
>and if I think about it, there were reflections of such a way of thought right
>there at home.  So what hope is there for turning this around?  The Mac
>interface introduced a whole new way of thinking about computers.  The
>LaserWriter introduced a whole new way of thinking about publishing.  Any
>chance that Apple will come up with a whole new way of thinking about
>delivering *trustworthy* software?

That seems like what they are doing -- trying to deliver trustworthy
software, by finding and fixing the bugs before, rather than after,
shipping.  They don't want to be flamed at like Microsoft was when
they shipped Word 3.0 and everyone started stumbling over the bugs.

Until we have programmers who can write large programs without bugs,
most programs will go through the state where they are completed but
not finished.

This certainly isn't unique to software.  For example, you can buy a
house with a basement, or you can get one with a "finished" basement.
You certainly wouldn't show off an unfinished basement; it's only good
for very limited uses.  But you can throw a party in a finished
basement.  The analogy isn't perfect (an unfinished basement doesn't
accidentally erase your data file, although it might not be safe to
walk on it barefoot), but the idea is right.

---
Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
seismo!think!barmar

whp@apr.UUCP (11/18/87)

It just so happens that I know the brother of (one of) the developer(s) of
Fullwrite.  I know that the delay was caused to make a bullet-proof product;
and when the ROM changed, this screwed up the projected delivery date.

Well, it seems this developer had made a promise: He swore if FullWrite wasn't
finished by November 15, he would have himself publicly tarred and feathered.
True to his word, a photo of this memorable event will be published soon, I
think in Macizine.  Watch for it!

When Fullwrite does show up, it should be really great.

Wayne "you heard it hear first" Pollock,
GEnie: W.POLLOCK	(I loose Netnews access today! *sob*)