[comp.sys.mac] UW wanted

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (11/06/87)

I am in search of the latest, greatest UW, hopefully ported to a Mac SE.

I also would like to find out what modifications would be necessary to get
UW to work on an Apple IIgs...  Thanks!

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

david@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (11/10/87)

Ok I'll bite! Just what is UW (I've heard its some sort of Unix
Window manager) and what does it buy having it available on
the Mac?

steve@hpiacla.HP.COM (Steve Witten) (11/12/87)

I think you mean 'uwm' which stands for 'Ultrix Window Manager' and is
shipped on the X distribution tape for X.10 from MIT.  I am wondering
what UW is myself.

Steve Witten
Industrial Applications Center  {ucbvax, hplabs}!hpda!hpdsla!hpiacla!steve
Hewlett-Packard Co.             steve@hpiacla.HP.COM

"Wot's...uh...the deal?"

atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) (11/13/87)

UW is a pair of programs.  One that works on the Macintosh, and one that
works on a 4.2,4.3 bsd UNIX system.  It allows a Macintosh to have multiple
windows open on the UNIX machine each of which is a seperate shell.  It's
a really nice program.  Unfortunately, it only works on 4bsd UNIX systems
(can't seem to get it working on HPUX).

If the original poster still needs a copy of UW, let me know (e-mail me).
I can send you a copy.

			-lee
------
Lee Atchison
Hewlett Packard - Information Networks Division
atchison@hpindda.hp.com
atchison%hpindda@hplabs.hp.com

tow@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Robert Francis Tow) (11/14/87)

In article <4860001@hpiacla.HP.COM> steve@hpiacla.HP.COM (Steve Witten) writes:
>I think you mean 'uwm' which stands for 'Ultrix Window Manager' and is
>shipped on the X distribution tape for X.10 from MIT.  I am wondering
>what UW is myself.
>
>Steve Witten
>Industrial Applications Center  {ucbvax, hplabs}!hpda!hpdsla!hpiacla!steve
>Hewlett-Packard Co.             steve@hpiacla.HP.COM
>
>"Wot's...uh...the deal?"

No. "UW" stands for UNIX Windows, and was written by a guy at Lawrence
Livermore Labs. What it does is provide a multiple window
vt100/vt52/tek4010/adm31 multiple shell etc environemnt on a mac connected to
a Berekely or Sun UNIX system. I have used it for the last couple of years
to work from home, connected to SUN-3 networks. A very impressive piece of
work - in many ways (excepting the lack of download/upload facilities) it
is the best terminal program available - and it is free.

It may be had via anonymous ftp from the Stanford info-mac archive.

Rob Tow
ParcPlace Systems
Graphics Wizard ("I can call spirits from the vasty deep")
2400 Geng Road
Palo Alto CA. 94303

Internet:    rob@ParcPlace.com
USENET:      ...!{ucbvax, allegra, seismo, pyramid, decvax}!sun!pplace!tow

tecot@apple.UUCP (Ed Tecot) (11/15/87)

In article <4860001@hpiacla.HP.COM> steve@hpiacla.HP.COM (Steve Witten) writes:
>I think you mean 'uwm' which stands for 'Ultrix Window Manager' and is
>shipped on the X distribution tape for X.10 from MIT.  I am wondering
>what UW is myself.

No.  He means UW.  UW stands for "Unix Windows" and consists of both a Unix
and Macintosh program.  Running uw on your favorite Unix system while
running the UW application on your Macintosh allows you to have multiple
windows each running its own shell.  I'm pretty sure you can find this
software at SUMEX-AIM and other fine archives everywhere.

						_emt

mark@motcoh.UUCP (Mark Mills) (11/17/87)

It seems there is a fair amount of interest in UW.  Since many fo not have
ftp access, would someone consider posting it to the appropriate news group?

--
Live: Mark Mills, Motorola Inc.
Uucp: mark@motcoh.UUCP

jdb@mordor.s1.gov (John Bruner) (11/18/87)

I'm sorry that I didn't respond to earlier postings about UW.  The
volume in this newsgroup has grown so high that I don't have the time
to read it as closely as I once did.

The most current version of UW is still version 4.1, which is really
only a LSC-compiled equivalent of version 3.4.  (There are a very
small number of bug fixes.)  I still want to produce at least one
more release, but my time for UW has been extremely limited during
the past year.

UW is copyrighted, but it is free.  It was posted to "comp.binaries.mac"
early this year.  It is also available for anonymous FTP access from
both SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU and MORDOR.S1.GOV.  In both cases you need
to obtain the version 3.4 distribution and the version 4.1 upgrade.
On SUMEX-AIM the files are "UNIX-UW-34.PART[123456789]" and
"UNIX-UW.41.SHAR" in the INFO-MAC directory.  On MORDOR the files are
"uw.shar.[123456789]" and "uw41.shar".

I don't send UW by UUCP to non-neighbor sites because of the
transmission expense.  (In the past, some sites have set up temporary
UUCP links directly with MORDOR (where they place the calls) to
fetch UW by UUCP.)  I have avoided distributing UW by floppy because
of the hassles involved -- I don't have time to make floppies and
ensure that they reach the correct destinations.  (I know that this
is inconvenient, but I'd rather say "no" in advance than make a
promise that I might not be able to fulfill.)
--
  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  jdb@mordor.s1.gov	...!seismo!mordor!jdb		(415) 423-4848