[comp.sys.mac] Jasmine disk followup

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (10/16/87)

I mentioned a while back that I was in progress of buying a jasmine 20
Hard disk. Since It is now here and running, I thought I'd let the net know
about how things went.

I was promised a ship date of 10/8, 2nd day UPS. When it didn't show up as
expected, I called Jasmine to see what was going on. It turns out that they
were backordering beige units due to a manufacturing problem at one of their
suppliers. They told me if I wanted a platinum unit, I could have it shipped
the same day. Needless to say, I said yes.

They DID ship it that day. And they shipped it Federal Express instead of
UPS, at no extra cost to me. I think THAT is a class act.

The thing is plug and play. You plug it in, it boots. It's fast (I was using
a paradise 10 serial HD. Te jasmine is as much faster than the paradise as
the paradise is faster than a floppy. I'm in heaven...)

The manual, by the way, is wonderful, complete, and goes overboard to get
you information, sources for helpful utilities, and other useful
information. Another plus for Jasmine.

And one final comment about the manual. Jasmine ships about 10 meg of PD and
Shareware software on the disk. They make sure you know, in no uncertain
terms, that if you want to use the shareware stuff you better pay for it.

Jasmine is a good product and a class act. Buy lots of them -- they're worth
it (and not only that, they are one of the cheapest hard disks for the size
on the market! amazing!)

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach					chuq@sun.COM
Editor, OtherRealms					Delphi: CHUQ

ghoti@killer.UUCP (Alan Perry) (10/18/87)

I recently purchased the Jasmine Direct Drive 80 and am in hard drive heaven.
I have had no problems (after 3 months of use) and am recommending it to all
who ask.

As far as the shipping goes, I did not have a problem.  They gave me the date
for shipping and I got it the next day (which is pretty impressive for a 2nd
day service).

Like Chuq said in his article, buy lots of the Jasmine drives.  They are worth
the small amount of money they cost (and a whole lot more).

- Ghoti

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (10/21/87)

>Like Chuq said in his article, buy lots of the Jasmine drives.  They are worth
>the small amount of money they cost (and a whole lot more).

I should point out that after I installed the thing, I started getting
occasional bombs with ID=10 and bong/reboot problems. It was much more
prevalent when the system was cold, or when (for some strange reason) I
inserted a floppy disk.

I pulled the Mac apart last night, after it decided to stop working with a
sad Mac 3FFF (whimper).

what had happened was that when I installed my Dove 2 Meg memory upgrade
+SCSI, I had slightly pulled the SCSI board loose during installation
because the cable Dove uses to go from the SCSI daughter board to the
outside world is VERY short. This didn't become a problem until I started
to use the SCSI board, of course. Reseating the boards and and being VERY
careful with the cable seems to have solved the problem. (note: this
definitely wasn't a jasmine problem...)

So, a couple of warnings if you're using the Dove upgrade (or any daughter
board on the Mac card):

1) be very careful during installation that you don't pull on a cable
	that can unseat the card, since it uses a pressure hold and not
	an anchor screw (mutter...)

2) You might want to check the daughter boards every once in a while. With
	all the heating and cooling going on in there, anything that relies
	on friction and pressure to stay seated is going to creep, and
	eventually you'll start glitching out. If you take a little
	preventative maintenance, you can save yourself a crash in the
	middle of that critical project.

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach					chuq@sun.COM
Editor, OtherRealms					Delphi: CHUQ

siritzky@acf2.UUCP (Brian Siritzky) (10/21/87)

Same goes for me! I got the Jasmine 80 meg drive the day after their
stated ship date. It is quieter with a fan than my Lo-Down 20 without
a fan. Last night I disconnected the Lo-Down after running them
together for a month. I recommend it too!

After this how can I sell my Lo-Down with a straight face?

	Brian Siritzky
From: bako@acf3.NYU.EDU
Date: 21-Oct-87 23:07 EDT
Subject: Re: Amnesty International
Newsgroups: news.groups

>If "they" did cut off a news feed for such reasons we should be sure
>to tell the NY Times, our Congressthings and anyone else who would
>listen and spread the news.

Sounds great.  I can see the headlines now..

        "President Orders Marines To Reestablish Usenet Link"

	"U.N. Votes Economic Sanctions"

	"U.S. Strikes Abandonded Oil Drilling Platform"

I'm afraid that the world just doesn't work that way.  Your insistence on
using Usenet for AI's business would only serve to disconnect some student at
a small college from Usenet.  Thus depriving him of a source of information
that at times can be most educational (such as net.jokes :-).

					John Bako

P.S. I received word today from Kevin Axelson (axelson@cgl.ucsf.edu) who
is with AI Headquaters in New York City that Mike Turing posted his request
for a newsgroup without consultanting Amnesty International.

John Bako       ARPA:  bako@ACF4.NYU.EDU
@ N.Y.U.        UUCP:  {cbosgd, harvard, ihnp4, seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!bako
                Thats a lowercase L in cmcl2 above...    ^^^^^
From: rosenblg@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary J. Rosenblum)
Date: 21-Oct-87 23:32 EDT
Subject: 2 snow tires - front or back?
Newsgroups: rec.autos

Okay, I know this has been mentioned here before, but here it is again:
let's say  I have a front-wheel drive automobile (say either an '87
toyota celica or an '86 ford escort), and want to get snow tires.
I live in upstate New York in a hilly area, in Ithaca.  Now, if I only
have enough money to get two snow tires, do I put them on the back or
the front?

I vote for the back, since I can forsee an accident when the front wheels
bite but the back of the car continues to push forward.  However my
friend believes that for getting up those hills, you need traction
in the front to pull you up.

So, who's "right"?  Don't say "get four snow tires, dummy!", we're talkin'
PRINCIPLE here!  :)

Gary J. Rosenblum	{ihnp4, allegra}!cmcl2!rosenblg
UNIX Systems Manager			rosenblg@cmcl2.nyu.edu
New York University			gary@nyu.nyu.edu

urban@sol.SPS.TRW.COM (Michael Urban) (10/22/87)

In article <1850@killer.UUCP> ghoti@killer.UUCP (Alan Perry) writes:
>I recently purchased the Jasmine Direct Drive 80 and am in hard drive heaven.
>I have had no problems (after 3 months of use) and am recommending it to all
>who ask.
>
>As far as the shipping goes, I did not have a problem.  They gave me the date
>for shipping and I got it the next day (which is pretty impressive for a 2nd
>day service).

Well, just for contrast, I ordered the Direct Drive 50 ONE MONTH ago,
and have still received nothing except the cancelled check from the
bank.  I have made two phone calls, and have been assured that it
was "ready to ship."

Glad you all are having such a good time.  I'm disgusted.

--
   Mike Urban
	...!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!urban

"You're in a maze of twisty UUCP connections, all alike"

ilan_-_rabinowitz@cup.portal.com (11/10/87)

Here's my account of dealing with the Jasmine 80 external drive which I
connected to my MAC ][ two months ago:

1. I drove up to S.F. and picked up the drive I had ordered a week before and
thereby got to meet some of the people involved in sales and tech support, but
that's another story.  Although at first I got nervous when I was told that
they were out of 6' cables for the drive (as I had originally ordered) they
found a new box with cables just shipped.. What a relief, after all that
anticipation.

2. I brought the drive home, plugged it in -- No problems.  It booted up fine
and I was able to make backups whatever s/w I thought would be usefull to me.

3. Then I started REALLY excercising the disk -- moving files, changing the
startup program, changing the scsi settings, etc.. I finally managed to foul
it up so it would not reboot.  After going through the manual, which an
experienced computer professional should not have a problem with, it was NO go.

I called tech support.  Christian, who I met earlier at S.F took the call
and attempted to be as helpful as possible.  NOTE: I found Jasmine's tech
support EXTREMELY willing to help out -- IMMEDIATELY !!!!  at the various
times I called up.
This time I was told to format the disk and try again from my backups.  I don't
work that way...  After 5 minutes of booting off floppies I finally managed
to get the MAC ][ to recognize that indeed there was a device on the SCSI
port.  After rebuilding the desktop everything went back to normal.  WHY ???
I still don't know.

HOWEVER:  since then I have intermittently had such a failure occur -- I am
starting to suspect the cable.  Luckily it seldom happens, therefore I haven't
bothered replacing the cable.

About a month later I receive my 80 MEG INTERNAL drive from apple and got
a chance to compare the two:

On some operations the internal drive is approximately 10% faster, but not much
more.

The MAIN difference I found is that attempting to format the Jasmine drive
with Version 1.4 of the formatter, which comes along with the MAC ][ causes
all hell to break loose with the Jasmine:  Certain files can not be copied
over to the Jasmine, once there they can not be retrieved and at times their
icons don't appear !!!
Using Version 1.1 of the formatter solves this problem -- Does anyone know
why?? Afterall I was under the impression that Apple and Jasmine used the
same manufacturer for the drives.

All in all I pretty satisfied with my Jasmine 80.

                                           - ILAN RABINOWITZ -

                                                         with  ILANET

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (11/11/87)

In article <1371@cup.portal.com> ilan_-_rabinowitz@cup.portal.com writes:
>Here's my account of dealing with the Jasmine 80 external drive which I
>connected to my MAC ][ two months ago:
>[ bulk of article deleted - fnf]
>Using Version 1.1 of the formatter solves this problem -- Does anyone know
>why?? Afterall I was under the impression that Apple and Jasmine used the
>same manufacturer for the drives.

At one point I had two "official" Apple drives, a 40Mb and an 80Mb, along
with a Jasmine 80Mb.  It is true that both Apple and Jasmine use the same
manufacturer, but if you carefully examine each 80Mb drive, you find
that the jumpering is different (aside from the SCSI jumpers).  I'm
not sure what the significance of each jumper is, since I don't have
the manufacturer's drive manual, but this might be part of the problem.
I too have had trouble using the Jasmine 80Mb with the standard Apple
software, but since my Jasmine disk is currently on loan to another
developer who is using it on a Mac+ without any problems, I haven't pursued
the matter.  I can probably scrounge up the paper where I scribbled down
the jumpering of each drive and post if anyone is interested...

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish    hao!noao!mcdsun!fnf    (602) 438-3614
# Motorola Computer Division, 2900 S. Diablo Way, Tempe, Az 85282  USA

frankng@basser.oz (Frank Ng) (11/12/87)

In article <1371@cup.portal.com> ilan_-_rabinowitz@cup.portal.com writes:
>Here's my account of dealing with the Jasmine 80 external drive which I
>connected to my MAC ][ two months ago:
>About a month later I receive my 80 MEG INTERNAL drive from apple and got
>a chance to compare the two:
>
>The MAIN difference I found is that attempting to format the Jasmine drive
>with Version 1.4 of the formatter, which comes along with the MAC ][ causes
>all hell to break loose with the Jasmine:  Certain files can not be copied
>over to the Jasmine, once there they can not be retrieved and at times their
>icons don't appear !!!
>Using Version 1.1 of the formatter solves this problem -- Does anyone know
>why?? Afterall I was under the impression that Apple and Jasmine used the
>same manufacturer for the drives.

I had the same problem using an Easy Drive 80 from DCC Systems.
It also uses a Quantum drive (same as Apple and Jasmine).  Apparently
the DCC drive (and probably the Jasmines) used Quantums with generic
SCSI drivers in the drive ROMs, whereas Apple drives have a
customized version of the ROMs.

This is what I was told by DCC Systems anyway.

Hope this helps,
Frank

--
Frank Ng			ACSnet:	frankng@basser.oz
Department of Computer Science	ARPA:	frankng%basser.oz@uunet.uu.net

jcc@ut-ngp.UUCP (William Riker) (11/12/87)

{stuff about Jasmine 80MB and Apple's 80MB drive for Mac II}

I read on a local bulletin board that Apple has installed in their
HD80s a *proprietary* ROM that basically tells the drive software
whether the person was a "good little boy" and bought from Apple
or if he was "bad" and bit the hand that fed him the computer in
his own monetary interest.

Accordingly, the software would perform well or poorly/not at all.

I'd be more than happy to hear the "REAL" story from an Apple Lord.

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (11/13/87)

In article <1125@basser.oz> frankng@basser.oz (Frank Ng) writes:
|In article <1371@cup.portal.com> ilan_-_rabinowitz@cup.portal.com writes:
||The MAIN difference I found is that attempting to format the Jasmine drive
||with Version 1.4 of the formatter, which comes along with the MAC ][ causes
||all hell to break loose with the Jasmine:  Certain files can not be copied
||over to the Jasmine, once there they can not be retrieved and at times their
|I had the same problem using an Easy Drive 80 from DCC Systems.
|Apparently the DCC drive (and probably the Jasmines) used Quantums with
|generic SCSI drivers in the drive ROMs, whereas Apple drives have a
|customized version of the ROMs.
Okay, does someone want to tell me what's going on here?  *Why* would you want
to use _Apple's_ formatter program on your non-Apple drive?  Don't Jasmine
and DCC drives come with their own manager programs?  Or are Jasmine's and
DCC's drivers so buggy that they're unusable :-)

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-253-6699,  USPS: 7122 N. Campus 7, Ithaca, NY 14853      |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

cmccabe@cdp.UUCP (11/14/87)

Dear Jasmine enthusiasts:

Jasmine does sell direct, but computerware in Palo Alto, CA also sells the
drives, in fact has a two-year Bay area exclusive on them.  They can also
ship them to the USA and Canada.  ComputerWare's numbers are 800-323-1133 (in CA
and 800-323-1155 in USA) -store in Palo Alto, 323-7559.

Charles McCabe
Mountain View, CA.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
--Buckaroo Banzai.

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (11/18/87)

In article <6811@ut-ngp.UUCP> jcc@ut-ngp.UUCP (William Riker) writes:

>{stuff about Jasmine 80MB and Apple's 80MB drive for Mac II}
>
>I read on a local bulletin board that Apple has installed in their
>HD80s a *proprietary* ROM that basically tells the drive software
>whether the person was a "good little boy" and bought from Apple
>or if he was "bad" and bit the hand that fed him the computer in
>his own monetary interest.
>
>Accordingly, the software would perform well or poorly/not at all.

Actually, I don't think the story is as bad as it sounds. Apple has probably
incorporated many features into its ROM that the Jasmine and CMS drives
do not have in their ROMs - it makes sense for your software to take advantage
of these features. I highly doubt Apple is doing this to spite purchasers of
other drives, who should be using the drivers from the manufacturer, if
possible.

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (11/18/87)

In article <2912@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:

<discussion on formatting Jasmine 80's and EasyDrive 80's with Apple's drivers>

>Okay, does someone want to tell me what's going on here?  *Why* would you want
>to use _Apple's_ formatter program on your non-Apple drive?  Don't Jasmine
>and DCC drives come with their own manager programs?  Or are Jasmine's and
>DCC's drivers so buggy that they're unusable :-)

  One of the advantages of formatting your Jasmine drive with Apple's old HD
SC Setup 1.1 was that your drive was Mac II-compatible before Jasmine got their
SCSI driver ready (I still don't have the Mac II-compatible one, though it is
out). Another reason to try to format a drive with Apple or other SCSI software
is to examine performance. I have formatted a Jasmine 80 with Jasmine's
software, Apple's HD SC Setup 1.1, and CMS' SCSI Utility 3.2F. I don't have
the numbers handy, but the DiskTimer II results were the best with the Jasmine
driver). Yet another reason is if you are having problems with your drive - I
was experiencing some strange crashes with the drive, and the usual replacing
System file/reformat juggling never solved the problem. I tested the drive
with all three SCSI drivers to determine if the problem was in any way related
to the SCSI drive (which it was not - I never did find out the solution to my
problem, but it has stopped happening).