[comp.sys.mac] multifinder won't boot

schmidt@lsrhs.UUCP (Chris Schmidt) (11/13/87)

Anybody seen/understand this?  On a Mac ][, running the new finder and
system, I can boot into the finder just fine.  But when I set the startup to
multifinder, it crashes into macsbug everytime.  Oddly enough, while running
finder, I can manually start multifinder with no problem.  I'm running with
the following:

1mb, 256 color, fkey(popup) manager, macsbug (mac ][ -- 1mb).

Chris Schmidt/Lincoln-Sudbury High School/390 Lincoln Rd/Sudbury/Ma/01776
	(617) 926-3242 ----->   mit-caf!lsrhs!schmidt@eddie.mit.edu
(And for you, Mr. NSA Line-Eater: drugs, terrorists, Libya, 1984)

han@apple.UUCP (Byron Han) (11/17/87)

>Anybody seen/understand this?  On a Mac ][, running the new finder and
>system, I can boot into the finder just fine.  But when I set the startup to
>multifinder, it crashes into macsbug everytime.  Oddly enough, while running
>finder, I can manually start multifinder with no problem.  I'm running with
>the following:
>
>1mb, 256 color, fkey(popup) manager, macsbug (mac ][ -- 1mb).
>
>Chris Schmidt/Lincoln-Sudbury High School/390 Lincoln Rd/Sudbury/Ma/01776
>       (617) 926-3242 ----->   mit-caf!lsrhs!schmidt@eddie.mit.edu

First of all, the current version of MacsBug is version 5.5 which is
a universal version for Macintosh II, SE, +, 512e, and 512.  To determine
the version of MacsBug, break into Macsbug by hitting the interrupt button
and type DV (display version).  The current version is available from
APDA.  They can be reached at 206-251-6548.

The problem of crashing into Macsbug upon booting with Multifinder is strange.
I used to have that problem when I was using the ScrapSaver INIT.  When I
removed it, things were okay.  You might try to remove the FKEY manager and
reboot.

Certain INIT's have problems with MultiFinder and certain _combinations_ of
INIT's have problems.  So try and remove them one by one until things work.

Hope this helps.

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/*  NOTE: I am _NOT_ an Apple representative.  All statements and opinions  */
/* are my own and are _not_ to be construed as any official Apple position. */
/* Byron B. Han                 UUCP: {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!han */
/* Apple Computer, Inc.        CSNET: han@apple.csnet                       */
/* 20525 Mariani Ave MS 27Y    GENIE: BYRONHAN         CSERVE: 72167,1664   */
/* Cupertino, CA 95014        ATTNet: 408-973-6450  APPLELINK: HAN1         */
/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (11/17/87)

Yes but do you have any inits in your system folder? If so take them all
out and try your scenario by adding them back in one at a time, until
you bomb again.

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (11/18/87)

In article <513@lsrhs.UUCP> schmidt@lsrhs.UUCP (Chris Schmidt) writes:
>Anybody seen/understand this?  On a Mac ][, running the new finder and
>system, I can boot into the finder just fine.  But when I set the startup to
>multifinder, it crashes into macsbug everytime.  Oddly enough, while running
>finder, I can manually start multifinder with no problem.  I'm running with
>the following:
>
>1mb, 256 color, fkey(popup) manager, macsbug (mac ][ -- 1mb).
		 ^^^^^^^^^^^

Here lies your problem, I believe. The Pop-Keys INIT was reported to be
incompatible with MultiFinder. The last version of the Pop-Keys INIT that
I had (the one that came with the FKEY Manager 3.0) bombed when put in my
System Folder (that has way too many INITs in it to begin with). In addition,
a friend had problems with QUED/M not functioning correctly when Pop-Keys was
around.

>Chris Schmidt/Lincoln-Sudbury High School/390 Lincoln Rd/Sudbury/Ma/01776

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104

cgeiger@ut-ngp.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) (11/19/87)

In article <3543@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) writes:
> Here lies your problem, I believe. The Pop-Keys INIT was reported to
> be incompatible with MultiFinder. The last version of the Pop-Keys
> INIT that I had (the one that came with the FKEY Manager 3.0) bombed
> when put in my System Folder.

I have FKEY Manager 2.5 and presumably have the compatible version
of Pop-Keys.  It works just fine on my Mac+ with Multifinder and
loads of other inits.

Someone awhile back posted a suggestion as to how to fix someone
else's problem with Suitcase--pull out the battery, thereby erasing
the PRAM, and then restart.  This worked for me, and I'm wondering
if this couldn't be a solution to try with Pop-Keys as well (unless
2.5 is compatible and 3.0 isn't).

cheers, from
charles s. geiger
ARPA:  cgeiger@ngp.cc.utexas.edu       cgeiger@ut-ngp.ARPA
UUCP:  ihnp4!ut-ngp!cgeiger     allegra!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       gatech!ut-ngp!cgeiger    seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       harvard!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger