[comp.sys.mac] Parallel Daisy-wheel on Mac SE

jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) (11/16/87)

I asked this earlier, and got *NO* response! Hard to believe I'm the only
one in NA who thought of this - I'll try one more time:

I have an SE.  I would like to hook my parallel daisy-wheel printer up to
it.  I realize that I'll need, at very least, a serial-to-parallel
converter, and maybe a printer driver too.

Has anyone done this? Where should I start looking for informative
books/articles?

HELP!

--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, Data Management Group, San Diego

paul@aucs.UUCP (11/18/87)

This is a portion of a recent posting from R. Crispin.  I have since
tried GDT softworks Mac Daisy Link, which is actually quite good.
Unfortunately, it is not 100% compatible with MS Word.  Other than
that it is pretty good.  I haven't checked with the other products.
------------------------------
GDT Softworks Inc.
Suite D, 2800 Douglas Road,
Burnaby,BC
Canada    V5C 5B7
(604)291-9121
800-663-6222
-They have 2 sets of print drivers. One called PRINT-LINK works with
 dot matrix printers. The other is called Mac Daisy Link and works with
 daisy wheel printers with or without single or multibin sheet feeders.
-See there ad on page 214 of MacUser Vol3 No 10 Oct 87 for more info
 or page 192 of MacWorld Sept. 87

SoftStyle
7192 Kalanianaole Highway
Honolulu, HI
USA   96825
-They have a product called Printworks for the Mac. It is a dot matrix
 control system. They also have Epstart for Epson printers, Colormate for
 color printing and Laserstart for use with an HP Laserjet.
-They also have a piece of hardware called the MacEnhancer which will
 let you hook a printer or plotter to the mac. It has serial and parallel
 ports
-see Page 206 of MacUser Vol 3 No 10 Oct 87
-it is also available form a number of mail order places
------------

Paul H. Steele      USENET: {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Paul
Acadia University   BITNET: Paul@Acadia
Wolfville, NS
CANADA  B0P 1X0     (902) 542-2201x587

howard@mtunj.ATT.COM (H. Moskovitz) (11/18/87)

In article <2524@calmasd.GE.COM> jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) writes:
>I have an SE.  I would like to hook my parallel daisy-wheel printer up to
>it.  I realize that I'll need, at very least, a serial-to-parallel
>converter, and maybe a printer driver too.

Orange Micro Devices, the makers of the original Grappler intelligent
interface for the Apple ][ has come out with a grappler for the mac. It
allows you to hook up any parallel printer or plotter to your Mac serial
port. If it is one of the popular dot matrix printers, it will allow that
printer to emulate an Imagewriter.

Another source is Cricket, makers of Cricket Draw. They have come out with
a package called Cricket Drivers. Each one comes with a custom cable and
device driver to hook up non-Mac printer and plotters to your mac.

I believe that both products list for $99.

		Howard Moskovitz
	AT&T Bell Labs @ Liberty Corner, NJ
		ihnp4!io!howard

dlw@hpsmtc1.UUCP (11/18/87)

I believe that Softstyle, which is now a division of Phoenix the
Bios clone guys has a hardware device that does what you want. I think
that originally Microsoft was selling this device but sold the rights to
Softstyle. Check back issues of Macworld, Macuser.

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (11/18/87)

<Ordinarily, I would have mailed a response, but I've seen several requests>
<for info on Mac<->printer connections of late, so I'll post here>

In article <2524@calmasd.GE.COM> jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) writes:
>I asked this earlier, and got *NO* response! Hard to believe I'm the only
>one in NA who thought of this - I'll try one more time:
>

>I have an SE.  I would like to hook my parallel daisy-wheel printer up to
>it.  I realize that I'll need, at very least, a serial-to-parallel
>converter, and maybe a printer driver too.

There is a company called SoftStyle in Hawaii that specializes in interface
boards and printer drivers for using non-Apple printers on the Mac. They made
interfaces for Epson, Toshiba, and HP printers, among others. Although I
don't have their phone # handy, they have advertised in MacWorld/MacUser.

Another possible source of information is Orange Micro. They make a
serial/parallel converter/cable & might be able to help out.

>John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, Data Management Group, San Diego

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104

taylorj@byuvax.bitnet (11/19/87)

This may not be any more helpful than the previous lack of response, but
I'll tell you what I know.

A daisy-wheel printer driver was just posted to comp.mac.binaries a few
days ago.  It should solve half of your problem.  For the other half, MicroSoft
used to sell an expansion chassis for the Mac that had parallel ports on
it.  They don't sell it any more, but could probably tell you who does
(it might be Assimilation).  Orange Micro just announced a Grappler for
the Mac.  I believe it's designed for Epsons, but maybe has a "generic"
mode that would just do a plain serial->parallel conversion.  Protecto
Enterprises at one point had serial->parallel converters.

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum, Brigham Young University
taylorj@byuvax.bitnet