[comp.sys.mac] LightspeedC 2.13

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (11/11/87)

I just picked up the upgrade to 2.13 for LightspeedC off of CompuServe last
night and thought I pass on some comments.

It includes a 2.01/2.11 => 2.13 patch program, a new MacTraps project, a
new Appletalk project and a new set of includes.  You run the patch program
against a copy of your 2.01 or 2.11 LightspeedC, install you new MacTraps and
the .h files and your now at 2.13.

Changes: MacTraps grew about 30K.  Reason is that 2.13 has a smarter linker
then 2.11 which will remove more of the unused stuff when you build an
application.  You pay for this, loading MacTraps takes 3 to 4 times as long
and building an application also takes about 3 times (subjective numbers,
no real numbers to back it up).  With just the new MacTraps, 2.13 removed
about 2K from a 96K application.  Unfortunatly, this is bad for me because
what I'm working on now requires that I make an application rather then
just run it under LightspeedC.  (Note to Rich: I WANT MY FAST LINK BACK :-)).

The includes now integrate all the IM V stuff into the main includes.  There
are several new include files, including color.h, etc.  Didn't check too closly
to see how much they grew.  These replace both the original 2.01 and the x*.h
from 2.11.

PrLink.lib is now in MacTraps as is some of the AppleTalk stuff.

The upgrade was 130K in length (in StuffIt), 150K in Packit.  Rich said he
sent it to comp.mac.binaries so please don't send me email asking for the
upgrade.

Jerry Whitnell				Lizzi Borden took an axe
Communication Solutions, Inc.		And plunged it deep into the VAX;
					Don't you envy people who
					Do all the things You want to do?

whp@apr.UUCP (Wayne Pollock) (11/14/87)

I already have version 2.11; how 'bout posting just a 2.11 => 2.13 (which I
hope is smaller than the 2.01 => 2.13 mentioned in the previous message)?

By the way, LSC's creator string is wrong; it should have the name and
version number but it has some cryptic message instead.

I also have the new stdio that was posted.  This did NOT come with the source
code to replace the old stdio library code.  Please post this!

Wayne Pollock,	...!cbatt, ihnp4}!cbosgd!apr!whp

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (11/15/87)

In article <313@apr.UUCP> whp@apr.UUCP (Wayne Pollock) writes:
>I already have version 2.11; how 'bout posting just a 2.11 => 2.13 (which I
>hope is smaller than the 2.01 => 2.13 mentioned in the previous message)?

	In fact, the identical upgrade is used to update 2.01 *or* 2.11
to the newer version 2.13.

	The update is so large because it contains the patch program (which
is actually quite small), plus new #include files for the Macintosh ROM
interfaces, and new MacTraps and AppleTalk libraries.

>By the way, LSC's creator string is wrong; it should have the name and
>version number but it has some cryptic message instead.

	What defines "wrong"??

>I also have the new stdio that was posted.  This did NOT come with the source
>code to replace the old stdio library code.  Please post this!

	My apologies for this slip-up. The Unix-compatibility libraries
are currently being revised. When the revision is finished (or at least
at a good intermediate point) I will post the changed libraries, along
with complete sources.

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* Symantec, THINK Technologies Division.  (No snappy quote)         *

carl@saturn.ucsc.edu (Carl C. Hewitt) (11/16/87)

I would love to get my hands on a copy of the 2.13 update, but it must've
expired from the newsgroups.  I also couldn't find it at sumex-aim
or anywhere else.  It is posted anywhere else?  Thanks much

					-- Carl

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Richard Siegel) (11/16/87)

In article <1137@saturn.ucsc.edu> carl@saturn.ucsc.edu (Carl C. Hewitt) writes:

>I would love to get my hands on a copy of the 2.13 update, but it must've
>expired from the newsgroups.  I also couldn't find it at sumex-aim
>or anywhere else.  It is posted anywhere else?  Thanks much

	Quite the contrary; the patch was very recently posted to both
info-mac and comp.binaries.mac. IT may not have appeared yet; it should be
available before too long though.

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (11/16/87)

In article <313@apr.UUCP> whp@apr.UUCP (Wayne Pollock) writes:
>I already have version 2.11; how 'bout posting just a 2.11 => 2.13 (which I
>hope is smaller than the 2.01 => 2.13 mentioned in the previous message)?

Sorry I didn't make this clear, the package is for upgrading both 2.01 and 2.11
to 2.13.  And most of the space is not from the utility itself, but the new
includes and the new MacTraps (over 70K!, but it appears as 9K in the project
window).

hallett@falstaff.steinmetz (Jeff R Hallett) (11/17/87)

In article <1137@saturn.ucsc.edu> carl@saturn.ucsc.edu (Carl C. Hewitt) writes:

>I would love to get my hands on a copy of the 2.13 update, but it must've
>expired from the newsgroups.  I also couldn't find it at sumex-aim
>or anywhere else.  It is posted anywhere else?  Thanks much
>
>					-- Carl

Carl -

 It hasn't appeared on comp.binaries.mac yet.  Rich posted it, but it
hasn't made through yet.  I'm looking for it too.

Jeffrey A. Hallett               (hallett@ge-crd.arpa   hallett@desdemona.uucp)
Software Technology Program
General Electric Corporate Research and Development

"The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"

                                 -- Kirk  (STIII)
Disclaimer: I  do not guarantee the validity  of the content, meaning,
or nature of anything in  this  message as my  own  sanity may  be  in
doubt.   My employer doesn't  either and   probably  won't admit  they
employ me if called.

raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) (11/18/87)

It seems that when "run"ing an application, the SIZE -1 rsrc in the rsrc file
is ignored...making it rather difficult to test suspend/resume/semi-background
operations.  Can't call this a "bug" per se..but a shortcoming.  If not let
us use the SIZE -1, then maybe include the respective flags/sizes in the
Set File Type dialog?

Well, THINK about it....

Raymond Lau                      {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!raylau
New York, NY, USA                               {sun}!hoptoad/
GEnie:RayLau   Delphi:RaymondLau   CIS:76174,2617
"Take it and StuffIt."

whp@apr.UUCP (11/18/87)

In article <3207@husc6.UUCP> singer@endor.UUCP (Richard Siegel) writes:
>>By the way, LSC's creator string is wrong; it should have the name and
>>version number but it has some cryptic message instead.
>
>	What defines "wrong"??

Apple does!  Go and re-read tech note #147; Your fancy Icon is a bug too (same
tech note).  (Actually, I like your icon.)

This patch you're posting - have you considered posting a compressed version
(using StuffIt or at least PackIt) on services which support 8-bit files (like
GEnie, f'instance)?

Wayne Pollock
GEnie address: W.POLLOCK (I'm losing access to Netnews today! *sniff*)

singer@endor.UUCP (11/19/87)

In article <2006@dasys1.UUCP> raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) writes:

>It seems that when "run"ing an application, the SIZE -1 rsrc in the rsrc file
>is ignored...making it rather difficult to test suspend/resume/semi-background
>operations.  Can't call this a "bug" per se..but a shortcoming.  If not let
>us use the SIZE -1, then maybe include the respective flags/sizes in the
>Set File Type dialog?

	The SIZE resource needs to be in the project file, not the resource
file.

>Well, THINK about it....

	This will probably be added in a future version of LightspeedC.

tedj@hpcilzb.UUCP (11/19/87)

>>I would love to get my hands on a copy of the 2.13 update, but it must've
>>expired from the newsgroups.  I also couldn't find it at sumex-aim
>>or anywhere else.  It is posted anywhere else?  Thanks much

I just got it off of Sumex-aim last Tuesday (the 17th)....

-Ted