[comp.sys.mac] multifinder and versaterm

inaba@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (11/12/87)

-----

Hi!  I have two questions, how big is supposed to be the system in
multifinder?  (2 meg).  I've seen it at 200k or so, but it grows and
grows until it's 700 and when i put stuff away, it's still at the
same size!  Is this normal?

Also: versaterm:  I was told that it can use the background to
download. I have v 1.2 but when in multifinder there is no
way to click another application.. am I missing something here?
I vaguely remember someone saying I can tinker with programs and
set the 'does in background byte' on.  Is there really such a
godsend byte in resedit or something???  I couldn't find it...
Any known patches to fix this non downloadableness?  grrrr....
my multifinder isn't letting me see all that neat action in lotsa
windows... (*sigh*) oh well....
Mark Inaba
Thanks for any help!

        __             __      UUCP:
       / /  ____/\___  \ \{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!uiucuxe!inaba
      / /  |---^--^--|  \ \    ARPANET:	inaba%uiucuxe@a.cs.uiuc.edu
     / /   ||       ||   \ \   CSNET:	inaba%uiucuxe@uiuc.csnet
    / /    |=========|    \ \  BITNET:	inaba@uiucuxe
   / /     | =  |  = |     \ \
   \ \   __|__--^--__|__   / /	Send mail!
    \ \_/ _|    L    |_ \_/ /
     \___/  | _____ |  \___/
            |       |	Galactus says:
            `-------'	Breakfast is the most important meal in my day!

inaba@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (11/13/87)

-------
Oh well, I have already found out the mystery of the large system.  This
is sorta embarrassing!  It seems that somehow I had turned on my ram
cache (I coulda sworn I turned it off to maximize multifinder).  Oh
well....

More clues on that prob with versaterm, or in general.  I noticed
that after looking for and running programs that can execute and
do moving screens while still allowing one to use the mouse, the
background execution is terrible!  Things seem to background but
alas, only when windows are being opened or closed.  This means that
only a second or two of background work is done for lots of furious
windowing activity....hmm.. and it freezes as soon as everything
stabilizes.  Since the programs seem to execute nicely in background
during those short periods, I am wondering if there is a way to make
them execute continuously...  This still might not solve the versaterm
problem..what other ways are there of downloading in background?  If i
have to use something like xmodem, is that a program commonly found in
mainframes?  I know kermits are on there, so I'm leaning toward
terms with kermit.

Well, thanks for any help!

-Mark
(should I be putting a disclaimer here?)

howard@mtunj.ATT.COM (H. Moskovitz) (11/13/87)

In article <46100018@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> inaba@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Also: versaterm:  I was told that it can use the background to
>download. I have v 1.2 but when in multifinder there is no
>way to click another application.. am I missing something here?

You need Versaterm version 3.0 (regular) or later. (I'm nor sure which
'pro' version supports background transfers).
		Howard Moskovitz
	AT&T Bell Labs @ Liberty Corner, NJ
		ihnp4!io!howard

shane@pepe.cc.umich.edu (Shane Looker) (11/16/87)

In article <46100018@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> inaba@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>-----
>Also: versaterm:  I was told that it can use the background to
>download. I have v 1.2 but when in multifinder there is no
>way to click another application.. am I missing something here?
>I vaguely remember someone saying I can tinker with programs and
>set the 'does in background byte' on.  Is there really such a
>godsend byte in resedit or something???  I couldn't find it...
>Mark Inaba

To do downloads in the background, you must have VersaTerm 3.1 (the newest
version).

Shane Looker                       |  "He's dead Jim,
shane@pepe.cc.umich.edu            |     you grab his tricorder,
uunet!umix!pepe.cc.umich.edu!shane |     I'll get his wallet."
Looker@um.cc.umich.edu

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (11/17/87)

In article <46100018@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> inaba@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Also: versaterm:  I was told that it can use the background to
>download. I have v 1.2 but when in multifinder there is no
>way to click another application.. am I missing something here?

Yes... this works only for the latest version of VersaTerm, Rev. 3.1.

                        "I've been kicking Reagan all the time he's been
                         up; I see no reason to stop now that he's down."
                                                -- Jeff Meyer

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) (11/18/87)

After I do a download with VersaTerm, multifinder running too, I notice that
the downloaded files icon is never updated.  Usually the file type and creator
are incorrect too.  Anybody know if the latest version of VersaTerm has these
problems?

Thank you.
--
Mahboud Zabetian				buzz@phoenix.princeton.edu
183 Little Hall 					(609) 520-1270

mandel@endor.UUCP (11/19/87)

	Apparently you need the latest version of Versaterm to take advantage
	of background downloading. I am using MacTerminal 2.2 and can't seem to get
	background downloading to work. Is there a later version of MacTerminal?

	What's the trick?

Thanks,

Victor

naftoli@aecom.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <1134@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:

> After I do a download with VersaTerm, multifinder running too, I notice that
> the downloaded files icon is never updated.  Usually the file type and creator
> are incorrect too.  Anybody know if the latest version of VersaTerm has these
> problems?

The problem, I believe is not in VersaTerm but in MultiFinder (or at least
the Finder running under MultiFinder :-)) since the same problem occurs
with Red Ryder 10.3.  Closing the window and reopening it from the Finder
makes the Finder take a new look at the file's information and update it
to reflect the change in status after the download is complete.

I think this is bug (or shortcoming) of the new Finder which doesn't
constantly check to make sure the information showing on the screen
is correct.  It's funny because I remember the Finder handling things
properly under TOPS (i.e., updating the windows in real time) when I was
testing it.
--
Robert N. Berlinger					naftoli@aecom.yu.edu
Supervisor of Systems Support