[comp.sys.mac] Does StartUpSound get played automatically?

buzz@phoenix.UUCP (11/06/87)

Does System 4.1 and 4.2 play the StartUpSound automatically?  Mine seems to do
it.  I was going to install the SoundInit init, but I noticed the soundcap file
was being played at startup, even without it.  Anyone know if there are any
other surprises like this that Apple never told us about?

I remember that the StartUpScreen feature, a few years back, was never
documented by Apple.
--
Mahboud Zabetian				buzz@phoenix.princeton.edu
183 Little Hall						(609) 520-1270

Charlie_Alan_Bounds@cup.portal.com (11/10/87)

buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud  writes
>Does System 4.1 and 4.2 play the StartUpSound automatically?  Mine seems to do
>it.  I was going to install the SoundInit init, but I noticed the soundcap fil
>was being played at startup, even without it.  Anyone know if there are any
>other surprises like this that Apple never told us about?
>
>I remember that the StartUpScreen feature, a few years back, was never
>documented by Apple.

I hope not.  I read in MicroTimes a while back about a software developer
who was avoiding the Mac because "Apple is not above cloning software".  I
wish I could remember specifics but if Apple has indeed started supporting
a bypass of a perfectly respectable (even if public domain:-)) software
package it does not bode well for Mac software general.

Charlie Bounds            Charlie@cup.portal.com
                          ...sun!portal!cup.portal.com!charlie

nazgul@apollo.uucp (Kee Hinckley) (11/20/87)

In article <1372@cup.portal.com> Charlie_Alan_Bounds@cup.portal.com writes:
> buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud  writes
> >Does System 4.1 and 4.2 play the StartUpSound automatically?  Mine seems to do
> >it.  I was going to install the SoundInit init, but I noticed the soundcap fil

Yes it does get run automatically.... on the SE.  It doesn't on the ][ and
I can't figure out how to get them played, or how to convert them into SNDs,
which I can get played.  Anyone have any ideas?

                                                    -nazgul
--
### {mit-erl,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!nazgul  ### apollo!nazgul@eddie.mit.edu ###
### pro-angmar!nazgul@pro-sol.cts.com       ### nazgul@apollo.com           ###