[comp.sys.mac] a few Mac sound questions

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (11/16/87)

I have a couple sound-related questions:

	(1)Is there any way to use ResEdit to convert the ASND
	   resource (found in "World Builder" adventure games)
	   into something that the "SoundPlay" application can play?

	(2)What is used to create the sounds that SoundPlay plays?

	(3)How the heck do you use the "CheapBeep" cdev?  I put it
	   in my System Folder and brought up the Control Panel, but
	   I couldn't figure out how to assign a sound to the standard
	   SysBeep...

Any and all clues are greatly appreciated!

		-Ted

Ted C. Johnson
Hewlett-Packard, Design Technology Center
Santa Clara, CA
(408)553-3555
UUCP: ...hplabs!hpcea!hpcilzb!tedj

dlw@hpsmtc1.UUCP (11/18/87)

Soundwave is an audio digitizer hardware device available from a company
called Impulse. Soundwave comes with software of the same name, a
hardware box that does the input translation in coordination with the sw
and a microphone. Computerware has it for $146.

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (11/18/87)

In article <870038@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

>I have a couple sound-related questions:
>	(1)Is there any way to use ResEdit to convert the ASND
>	   resource (found in "World Builder" adventure games)
>	   into something that the "SoundPlay" application can play?
>
>	(2)What is used to create the sounds that SoundPlay plays?

There used to be a program called SoundCap that would let you digitize sounds
on the Mac (provided you had the accompanying digitizing hardware). There is
now a new, more extensible program called SoundWave that does the same job.

>	(3)How the heck do you use the "CheapBeep" cdev?  I put it
>	   in my System Folder and brought up the Control Panel, but
>	   I couldn't figure out how to assign a sound to the standard
>	   SysBeep...

You need to make a folder inside your System folder and put the sound files
you like into that folder. You then use CheapBeep to select the appropriate
folder, and then the sound file you want. You must specify the correct sampling
rate for the sound (these are the buttons numbered from 1 to 4 in the cdev).
Pressing the enter key will play the currently selected sound. Note that you
must reboot for this to take effect.

>Ted C. Johnson

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (11/20/87)

Can anyone answer my first question, i.e., is there any way to extract
get World Builder sounds (using ResEdit?) and massage them into a form
that SoundPlay (or SuperPlay 4.0) will understand?

-Ted