[comp.sys.mac] HFS Navigator: A Review

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (11/16/87)

Every programmer knows how it feels to run across a product that s/he was
thinking of writing.  Much rarer is the case when that product is actually
better then what was planned.  HFS Navigator is just such a product for me.

What is HFS Navigator?  It is an INIT that modifies the standard file dialogs
to provide you with a list of "short cuts" to other folders on the disk.  The
list is a pop-up menu that replaces the pop-up menu of parent folders.  With
HFS Navigator installed, when you select the volume name icon, you now get
a pop up menu that shows the list of short cuts.  The first entry is the name
of the current folder.  Following that is a list of the short cuts you've
installed.  Select any name from the list of short cuts and HFS Navigator
moves you immediatly to that folder.  No more popping up and down trees
looking for that folder or a this file.  It is really much simpler to use
then to describe :-).

To install a new short cut is very simple, just mouse to that
folder, pop up the short cuts menu and select the first entry (the name of
the folder).  HFS Navigator adds it to the list and you can change to it from
anywhere in the folder tree.    Select the first entry again and HFS Navigator
deletes the folder from the list.  It even tells you what action it will do
by putting a + in front of the name to show that you can add it and a -
to show that you can remove it.

If you hold down the command key, you get a second menu that is a set of
useful functions, including New Folder, Find Folder, Find File and Get File
Info.   And of course About...

HFA Navigator was written by Micheal Kahl (the author of LightspeedC) and
is marketed by THINK Technologies.  I picked my copy up at ComputerWare
for about $50.  Usual disclaimers apply.

Jerry Whitnell				Lizzi Borden took an axe
Communication Solutions, Inc.		And plunged it deep into the VAX;
					Don't you envy people who
					Do all the things You want to do?

singer@endor.UUCP (11/17/87)

A couple of additions and corrections to Jerry Whitnell's review of
HFS Navigator:

In article <1295@csib.csi.UUCP> jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) writes:
>What is HFS Navigator?  It is an INIT that modifies the standard file dialogs
>to provide you with a list of "short cuts" to other folders on the disk.  The

	In fact, Navigator is not an INIT; it is a hook into PACK 3 (the
Standard File Package).

	In addition to the Command Key for the commands menu, you can hold
down the Option key, and that will allow you to use the old-style popup
menu.

>HFA Navigator was written by Micheal Kahl (the author of LightspeedC) and
>is marketed by THINK Technologies.  I picked my copy up at ComputerWare
>for about $50.  Usual disclaimers apply.

	The manual for Navigator was written by Meredith Lesly, and the project
was managed by John McEnerney.

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* Symantec, THINK Technologies Division.  (No snappy quote)         *

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (11/18/87)

In article <3228@husc6.UUCP> singer@endor.UUCP (Richard Siegel) writes:
|In article <1295@csib.csi.UUCP> jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) writes:
|>What is HFS Navigator?  It is an INIT that modifies the standard file dialogs
|>to provide you with a list of "short cuts" to other folders on the disk.  The
|
|	In fact, Navigator is not an INIT; it is a hook into PACK 3 (the
|Standard File Package).

The way it is delivered to the user is in the form of an INIT file (i.e.
you put it in the same folder as your system and reboot to install it).
The implementation is as Rich says.

BTW, when I bring up the command menu, New Folder is disabled.  How do
I (or can I) enable it?  I know, I know RTFM, except that the FM is lost :-).

singer@endor.UUCP (11/19/87)

In article <1302@csib.csi.UUCP> jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) writes:
>In article <3228@husc6.UUCP> singer@endor.UUCP (Richard Siegel) writes:
>|In article <1295@csib.csi.UUCP> jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) writes:
>|>What is HFS Navigator?  It is an INIT that modifies the standard file dialogs
>|>to provide you with a list of "short cuts" to other folders on the disk.  The
>|
>|	In fact, Navigator is not an INIT; it is a hook into PACK 3 (the
>|Standard File Package).
>
>The way it is delivered to the user is in the form of an INIT file (i.e.
>you put it in the same folder as your system and reboot to install it).
>The implementation is as Rich says.

	What?! That's news to me. All that's on the distribution disk is
an application called "Install HFS Navigator(tm)", and not any INIT files.
Oh well. :-)

>BTW, when I bring up the command menu, New Folder is disabled.  How do
>I (or can I) enable it?  I know, I know RTFM, except that the FM is lost :-).

	Actually, it's a FP (****ing Pamphlet). :-)

	The "New Folder" is not available from the Open dialog box. Likewise,
New Folder will be disabled (I believe) if the volume in question is locked.

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (11/20/87)

In article <3253@husc6.UUCP> singer@endor.UUCP (Richard Siegel) writes:
|In article <1302@csib.csi.UUCP> jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) writes:
|>In article <3228@husc6.UUCP> singer@endor.UUCP (Richard Siegel) writes:
|>|	In fact, Navigator is not an INIT; it is a hook into PACK 3 (the
|>|Standard File Package).
|>
|>The way it is delivered to the user is in the form of an INIT file (i.e.
|>you put it in the same folder as your system and reboot to install it).
|>The implementation is as Rich says.
|
|	What?! That's news to me. All that's on the distribution disk is
|an application called "Install HFS Navigator(tm)", and not any INIT files.
|Oh well. :-)

Oops, I stand (sit actually) corrected.  I plead insanity by reason of
there being 2 AT clones and no Macs sitting in front of me and throw myself
on the mercy of the court :-).