[comp.sys.mac] Boot-time display of INIT icons question...

harrow@bagels.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) (11/18/87)

I'm running  System  4.2/Finder  6.0/Multifinder,  and  have just
noticed that I get  the  icons of the INIT files displayed across
the bottom of the screen during system boot time.

However, I don't see ALL of the INIT icons, just a couple.  Where
is the code that is displaying  this (INIT 31?), and what are the
criteria that would cause some to show  up  and  others not to do
so?

Thanks,

Jeff Harrow

Work address:
ARPAnet:	HARROW%EXODUS.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Usenet:		decwrl!exodus.dec.com!harrow        or
                {allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-exodus!harrow
Easynet:	EXODUS::HARROW
Telephone:	(617)264-5128
USPS:		Digital Equipment Corp.
		Mail stop: BXB1-2/E02
		85 Swanson Road
		Boxboro, MA  01719

borton@net1.ucsd.edu (Chris Borton) (11/20/87)

In article <8711181909.AA04198@decwrl.dec.com> harrow@bagels.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) writes:
>I'm running  System  4.2/Finder  6.0/Multifinder,  and  have just
>noticed that I get  the  icons of the INIT files displayed across
>the bottom of the screen during system boot time.
>
>However, I don't see ALL of the INIT icons, just a couple.  Where
>is the code that is displaying  this (INIT 31?), and what are the
>criteria that would cause some to show  up  and  others not to do
>so?
The code to do this is called ShowINIT() and was written by Paul Mercer.  It is
in the public domain and available directly from him.  Sorry I don't have his
address handy, but it was posted on the discussion of ShowINIT earlier.  You
can also check the SCSI cdev or with ICOM Simulations.

The only INITs taking advantage of this so far that I've seen are TMON Startup,
QuicKeys, AaINIT, and Programmer's Key.  The individual INIT must do this
work--it is not part of INIT 31 [but it sure would be nice if it was!!!]

-cbb
Chris "Johann" Borton, UC San Diego	...!sdcsvax!borton
					borton@ucsd.edu or BORTON@UCSD.BITNET
Letztes Jahr in Deutschland, nog een jaar hier, en dan naar Amsterdam!
"H = F cubed.  Happiness = Food, Fun, & Friends."  --Steve Wozniak